TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Download doesn't continue when app is running in the background.

If I start a download and then hit my iPads home button and play in another app, the TiVo download stops. Also it looks like if I turn the iPad off the download doesn't continue.

This doesn't seem right. I would think that downloads should continue in the background.

Is this how it is working for everyone else?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

This is an iOS thing ... apps can only run in the background for a specific amount of time (20 minutes?) before they are shut down. So you have to leave the TiVo app front-and-center for the download to complete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
rileyrd

I believe it 9 minutes and yes background tasks are limited in iOS, only certain tasks like audio playback are allowed to run unlimited in the background.
rileyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

It stops downloading immediately if I do any of the following:

- hit home button
- turn iPad off (doesn't matter if app is front and center or not)
- app is front and center and iPad times out

So the only way the download continues is if I leave the TiVo app front and center and I touch the screen every few minutes so that the iPad doesn't shutdown. This can't be right!!??
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
It stops downloading immediately if I do any of the following:

- hit home button
- turn iPad off (doesn't matter if app is front and center or not)
- app is front and center and iPad times out

So the only way the download continues is if I leave the TiVo app front and center and I touch the screen every few minutes so that the iPad doesn't shutdown. This can't be right!!??
During download the iPad will stay awake with focus on the TiVo app... It has actually stayed live and on top since the first release.

But yes - plug it in, start your download and walk away...

Android and Windows 8 shouldn't have the same limitation.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
dsnotgood

Blame apple. They think people are too dumb to multitask
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

If it does fall asleep while the app is open you could always start playing a video. It wont sleep if a video is playing, even if it's paused.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Apple allows background downloads to run for 10 minutes.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Which is why their very own podcast app is completely useless. Before I got my Stream I was watching Tech News Today on my iPad in bed. When it podcast app was released I downloaded it immediately and set it up to "automatically" download the newest episode every day. However it never worked. Unless I manually launched the app every day it wouldn't get the newest episode. So I finally gave up on it and went back to downloading it manually.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought the iPad was supposed to be the best tablet out there?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Which is why their very own podcast app is completely useless. Before I got my Stream I was watching Tech News Today on my iPad in bed. When it podcast app was released I downloaded it immediately and set it up to "automatically" download the newest episode every day. However it never worked. Unless I manually launched the app every day it wouldn't get the newest episode. So I finally gave up on it and went back to downloading it manually.

Dan
I quite using the Podcast app because it stinks and doesn't sync correctly.

As far as background downloading goes Apple can do whatever they want. If they want their app to download in the background for 10 minutes or 2 hours they can do it. They have access to the full system where normal developers don't.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
mrizzo80

Quote:

Dan
I highly recommend Downcast ($1.99). It was recently updated to support geofences to kick off background downloads when you enter/leave geofences. I have mine set to download whenever I arrive home, but you can set up to 10 geofences I think.

Even without that functionality, Downcast is a terrific Podcast app. The developer adds new functionality often.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Blame apple. They think people are too dumb to multitask
You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

This is not any 'intelligence' thing, well.. if it is, it is that of app writers. It is to SAVE YOUR BATTERY. It is so that the user does NOT have to do application management, so that badly behaved apps should not be able to run down your battery by continuing to run in the background (and leaking, etc.). Yes, there are still badly behaved apps, but that's presumably the reason for the time limit too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:

Dan
Weird.. I listen to podcasts a lot, and thus am running it many times a day… So it is downloading new podcasts for me. (Yes, I know about bugs, but I have written them up.)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
roxydmb

Download stops after iPad locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
During download the iPad will stay awake with focus on the TiVo app... It has actually stayed live and on top since the first release.

But yes - plug it in, start your download and walk away...

Android and Windows 8 shouldn't have the same limitation.
This doesn't happen for me (my iPad screen doesn't stay active while the show is downloading). The iPad locks after a few minutes, the screen turns off, and then the downloading stops (not always, but most of the time). Very frustrating!

Also, when this happens it also often disconnects from my TiVo and I have to hit the reconnect button.

Are there any settings to help keep iPad "awake" during this (other than setting the screen to never lock?)

Does it have to be plugged in for the screen to stay active during downloads? (Is this why?)
roxydmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
txporter
One sec, almost done

Anyone tried with Backgrounder on a JB device? Will it continue to download in background?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
PhantomSoul

iOS Policy

iOS does not allow the iPad to continue any kind of downloading in the background when it is locked. This is primarily out of concern for battery life, whose maximization is a feature that Apple covets.

Supposedly, the upcoming iOS 7 will provide better options for managing background downloading tasks, but so far, I've only seen it on my iPhone 5 and not iPad. Alternatively, there are probably plenty of jailbreak options, but they also come at the cost of having to jailbreak your iPad.

The best advice I've found for downloading shows to an iPad is to plug your iPad in so the battery isn't drained while it downloads - the downloads can take a while since they're rather large files. Also, leave the TiVo app on the screen and just put down the iPad and go do something else for a while. Be sure to leave any covers that might automatically lock/unlock the iPad (like Apple's house cover) open so it doesn't cause the iPad's sensors to lock the iPad thinking it's closed.
PhantomSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
mattack

The iPad will GO TO SLEEP when it's done downloading.. if you have a sleep time set, that is..