TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
A J Ricaud

Phone line needed?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I am thinking of giving a Tivo Series 3 OLED to my uncle. He will have only a cell phone and no internet service. He will have Charter cable service in SoCal and I would set it up w/ 2 Cable Cards.

Will he need a landline for guide updates or any other reason? I don't imagine that there will be any firmware updates any time soon? I can do a clear and delete before I give it to him. Will I be able to do guided setup w/o a landline?
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before. I am thinking of giving a Tivo Series 3 OLED to my uncle. He will have only a cell phone and no internet service. He will have Charter cable service in SoCal and I would set it up w/ 2 Cable Cards.

Will he need a landline for guide updates or any other reason? I don't imagine that there will be any firmware updates any time soon? I can do a clear and delete before I give it to him. Will I be able to do guided setup w/o a landline?
The TiVo will need either a phone line or an internet connection to download the guide data (what shows are on which channel at what time).

Also it will need one or the other to keep the clock set so that when you tell it to start recording at 8pm, it starts at 8pm and not a minute or 3 either side of it that it thinks is 8pm.

Also you won't be able to do Guided Setup without some way for the TiVo to connect to the TiVo, Inc. servers, because you tell it the zip code the TiVo is in (or is going to be in, I suppose in your case), and only then does it download info about available cable companies and local broadcast channels, even before it downloads guide data.

Can his cell phone access the internet at all?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

An S3 will need EITHER a phone line or an internet connection to do guided setup and then get guide data in the future.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
tiassa
Me --Avatar

In order to be set up, the Tivo has to connect to the "Tivo Control Central" somehow, and your choices are phone line or Internet. There isn't a way around this (well, I suppose your uncle could use his cellphone as a modem to a PC and then share the internet connection and get the Tivo to connect that way, but that isn't a long term solution).
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
In order to be set up, the Tivo has to connect to the "Tivo Control Central" somehow, and your choices are phone line or Internet. There isn't a way around this (well, I suppose your uncle could use his cellphone as a modem to a PC and then share the internet connection and get the Tivo to connect that way, but that isn't a long term solution).
If he could connect to the Internet about once a week using the cell phone somehow, that would keep his guide data reasonably up-to-date, and it might not use up too much of his data plan if it's reasonably generous.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
A J Ricaud

I'll have to see if I can get him a low cost "lifeline" phone line. He isn't tech savvy and will not need or use an internet connection.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
I'll have to see if I can get him a low cost "lifeline" phone line. He isn't tech savvy and will not need or use an internet connection.
Check to make sure TiVo has a local dial in number. My understanding is they have cut back and a lifeline phone might end up having to dial a long distance number and end up costing more than one with "normal" service. I would also check to see what kind of low cost Internet access he can get from the cable company.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Check to make sure TiVo has a local dial in number. My understanding is they have cut back and a lifeline phone might end up having to dial a long distance number and end up costing more than one with "normal" service. I would also check to see what kind of low cost Internet access he can get from the cable company.

Good Luck,
Thanks for the advice.