Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #541
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post

Comedy is tough to break through and his stint on Last Comic Standing didn't help then, but maybe just maybe making it 2nd on AGT will help.
I only watched the first two seasons of Last Comic Standing so I didn't know he was even on it? What season was he on as he's not listed as being a contestant on Last Comic Standing's Wikipedia page.

I did see from from his Wikipedia page that he apparently already had his own 30 minute Comedy Central Special, so so much for that idea.

I don't think winning would make a difference one way or the other. Most of the winners seem to disappear off the face of the Earth. The non-winners, like Jackie Evancho, seem to do better.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #542
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post

I only watched the first two seasons of Last Comic Standing so I didn't know he was even on it? What season was he on as he's not listed as being a contestant on Last Comic Standing's Wikipedia page.

I did see from from his Wikipedia page that he apparently already had his own 30 minute Comedy Central Special, so so much for that idea.

I don't think winning would make a difference one way or the other. Most of the winners seem to disappear off the face of the Earth. The non-winners, like Jackie Evancho, seem to do better.
The one exception is Terry Fator his show is still performed in Las Vegas.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #543
Cainebj

I was so bored by the finalists Wednesday I skipped the finale on Wednesday. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I do think it bizarre that both the UK's Got Talent and this both had dog acts winning this season.
Cainebj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #544
busyba
The Funcooker

I haven't watched the results yet but seriously? Those freaking dogs won? That's effed up. It should have been the Earth Harp guy.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #545
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I haven't watched the results yet but seriously? Those freaking dogs won? That's effed up. It should have been the Earth Harp guy.
That's what we said when we heard this morning. I was hoping for William Close or Tom Cotter. I could see the dog act coming in 3rd, but I would have chosen the sand art over them.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #546
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I can see any of the top three being able to sustain a 90-minute show in Vegas, although Olate Dogs is probably a better fit in Branson. Maybe if the dogs are combined with the bird act?

As for the others, the two artist acts would be a good fit together, especially if you throw in the Earth Harp act to provide the music, and while the dance troupe was good, you can't really make them a "Vegas act" unless you move all of their families to where the act takes place (otherwise, for example, where do they go to school?).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #547
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't think the dog act should have won the whole thing, but William Close almost bored me to tears.

I was hoping to hear confirmation somewhere along the line that yes, the earth harp act loses a lot on television versus live, but while I found his perfomances somewhat entertaining, I was not at all impressed by them.

Had I voted (which I didn't as I don't watch these anywhere near live), my votes would have gone for Tom Cotter.

And I couldn't help but think that had that kids dance troup won, it would mean, what, about $1000 a year for each of them for the next 40 years? Kind of funny, actually - come in handy for school shopping, I suppose.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #548
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Earth Harpzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #549
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah. I had a bad feeling that was going to happen. I have no idea why people think this is either "unique" or "new". I remember seeing all this stuff on the Ed Sullivan show a million years ago! In fact, I have a hard time remembering ANY dog act where they didn't do all the same, or very similar, tricks. America's Got Talent never fails to disappoint. I still like the show though...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #550
nickels
opinionated dope

I could go off on a long-winded rants about my feelings, but I'll just skip it and go with this:
Olate Dogs didn't deserve to make it past any level of this competition. Unoriginal, boring, stupid. America choose poorly. I am almost furious about this outcome, but more-so I am disappointed that this garbage made it to the top. My sympathies go out to the acts like William Close, Tom Cotter, David Garibaldi and his CMYKs, and Lightwire Theater - all more original, creative, and entertaining.

Olate Dogs, that should make someone all of about $1 in Vegas. Nobody will pay to see that crap.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #551
Zephyr

It's more of the feel good thing... dogs are cute, vote for them and leave the real problems and decisions to another day. Hmmm, sounds familiar. Let's keep putting more juveniles on talent shows.
Zephyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #552
fmowry

If the earth harp guy played a regular harp he would have been only a bit more lame. It's a HARP! Who cares?

Tom Cotter shoulda won but I have no problem with the dog act. They'd make a good family show in Vegas. God the Blue Man Group was boring.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #553
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
If the earth harp guy played a regular harp he would have been only a bit more lame. It's a HARP! Who cares?

Tom Cotter shoulda won but I have no problem with the dog act. They'd make a good family show in Vegas. God the Blue Man Group was boring.
We liked the Blue Man Group over here. So much so, we set up a trip to Vegas to see them. Also going to see Cirque and Jaberwockees too.

I thought Tom Cotter was okay, but I don't think we are going to see his career skyrocket. He's really not that funny if you ask me. He's just okay. Nothing new there either. I think if Earth Harp guy had played some of his other instruments himself and mixed it up a bit more (ala Blue Man Group) I think he would have a very Vegas worthy show and would have won.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #554
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I can understand why Earth Harp guy lost. His last performance didn't resonate with me (I still voted for him, though). IMO, this was his best performance:

Had he done something like that for the final, who knows what would have happened.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #555
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
We liked the Blue Man Group over here. So much so, we set up a trip to Vegas to see them. Also going to see Cirque and Jaberwockees too.

I thought Tom Cotter was okay, but I don't think we are going to see his career skyrocket. He's really not that funny if you ask me. He's just okay. Nothing new there either. I think if Earth Harp guy had played some of his other instruments himself and mixed it up a bit more (ala Blue Man Group) I think he would have a very Vegas worthy show and would have won.
I liked the BMG when I saw them live, but on TV? Meh.

Tom Cotter's comedy was much funnier than Harp guy's music was good. He is not making the music better playing a funky harp than any random average guitar player would make it. While it's unique, I still preferred the music of the Joe Cocker guy, the Jewish kid, and even the girl singing with her friend playing guitar sitting on the stool and they got the axe way back.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #556
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I still preferred the music of the Joe Cocker guy, the Jewish kid, and even the girl singing with her friend playing guitar sitting on the stool and they got the axe way back.
Not in my opinion. They were singers. They belonged on a reality series dedicated to singing. If they're not good enough to get on one of those shows, then they don't need to be on AGT.
I give a pass if age limits are a factor.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #557
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I give a pass if age limits are a factor.
They were all at least 12 years old, which is the only age limit for The X Factor.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote