TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

It requires DHCP, you do have a DHCP server on your network right? I'm pretty sure it also requires internet access right from the start as well, so make sure the network segment you're connecting it to can get on the internet.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It requires DHCP, you do have a DHCP server on your network right? I'm pretty sure it also requires internet access right from the start as well, so make sure the network segment you're connecting it to can get on the internet.

Dan
Check and check. I would at the very least expect a network link light.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

On the phone now with Tivo, 15min hold
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
my replacement stream arrived today. It is doing the same thing the old one was doing. Been plugged in for about 15mins now, the fan is on and the unit is getting warm, but no lights are on. The ipad can't find the stream on the network.
You could check on your router to see if the Stream pulled an ip address. If so you can either ping it or go to its web page to see if it's "alive".
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Check and check. I would at the very least expect a network link light.
Are you sure the cable you're using is good and it's plugged into a good port on the router/switch? If I disconnect the cable plugged into mine on either end the network lights go out. And the white light doesn't turn on until it's connected and setup.

Dan
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Are you sure the cable you're using is good and it's plugged into a good port on the router/switch? If I disconnect the cable plugged into mine on either end the network lights go out. And the white light doesn't turn on until it's connected and setup.

Dan
Headed to best buy to get unit #3.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #37
D_bo

Just got my second stream as well... seems DOA too... Plug it in and no lights at all
D_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #38
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

and it seems third time is the charm. I am getting a link light and the white LED.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #39
stevegs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegs1 View Post
I received mine today-same issue. Called Tivo, they are sending a replacement.
Received my replacement today. Connected, powered up, orange light within 30 seconds, flashing white for about 10 minutes, then steady. Works perfectly.
stevegs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #40
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
my replacement stream arrived today. It is doing the same thing the old one was doing. Been plugged in for about 15mins now, the fan is on and the unit is getting warm, but no lights are on. The ipad can't find the stream on the network.
Wonder if it's a local network issue.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #41
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Wonder if it's a local network issue.
The third unit powered up and setup no issues, so I don't think so.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #42
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
The third unit powered up and setup no issues, so I don't think so.
Wow, weird. Seems like a high failure rate or you're just super unlucky. Hm. Glad to hear you finally got one that works, though.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
NYHeel

My stream wasn't DOA but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I got it Wednesday night and everything seemed great. The first night it worked to stream from one of my premieres but then didn't work to download. Also, after the attempted download it didn't stream anymore from that premiere. It did stream from the second premiere in my house but then wouldn't download or stream again. I rebooted everything but it didn't work until I rebooted the actual Tivo Premieres the next morning.

Of course then last night, downloading wasn't working even after rebooting the stream. Streaming did work but there were some intermittent pauses. After streaming I was able to download but the downloads take much longer than Tivo seems to indicate. The App thinks a 1 hour show will download in 9 minutes at standard quality. My experience was more like 20-25 minutes. And I have a 25/25 down connection and the speed test indicated it was working correctly. This morning it again wouldn't download. So I rebooted the Stream and it still wouldn't download until I initiated a stream, canceled it and then downloaded again.

It seems like I need to reboot and then try to stream to get the downloading to work. I guess it could be a networking issue but I have both Premiere's hard wired and the stream seems to have a valid IP address so I'm not sure what's wrong. I think I'll call Tivo for a replacement.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
My stream wasn't DOA but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I got it Wednesday night and everything seemed great. The first night it worked to stream from one of my premieres but then didn't work to download. Also, after the attempted download it didn't stream anymore from that premiere. It did stream from the second premiere in my house but then wouldn't download or stream again. I rebooted everything but it didn't work until I rebooted the actual Tivo Premieres the next morning.
The Stream won't download protected content, which for Time Warner and certain other cable companies, is virtually all channels. Attempting to do so appears to put the Stream in a weird state from what I've read, requiring the user to redo setup. Are your channels protected?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
D_bo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_bo View Post
Just got my second stream as well... seems DOA too... Plug it in and no lights at all
Picked up another new unit from Best Buy (the first two where from Tivo Directly)

Worked right away... Tried to hook up the two units from Tivo again, using the same power cord and network cable that worked with the unit from Best Buy..

No joy, they still don't work

Looking at the shipping invoices from the two units from Tivo they came from the same Bin# S97HH01A, don't know if they means anything
D_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
WindyCityGirl

I had the same problem with the unit I ordered from Tivo. What I am still sooooo pissed about is I have to pay to ship a defective unit back to Tivo!

You guys suck!!
WindyCityGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

Could always just buy one at Best Buy and then return the bad one for a refund. Not the most honest thing to do but it would save you return shipping.

Dan
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #48
pbw

As a bit of a rant, I also received a defective unit directly from TiVo. After 3 emails where they simply told me to check and reboot my network (when I made it clear that wasn't the issue), I just went to Best Buy and bought one that actually works. But TiVo won't pay for return shipping and I wasn't totally convinced from the telephone rep that they would even refund the original shipping. Between the unhelpful email support (I couldn't call during their open hours) and refusal to pay return shipping, this was a rather disappointing experience.

pbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #49
Dan203
Super Moderator

More likely it was just a bad initital run. There is a reason they limited that "contest" to 600 winners. They likely got a small initial batch before a bigger supply was produced for Best Buy. Plus, like someone mentioned above, TiVo is the first big customer for the maker of the chips used in these things so they could be working out some kinks in their manufacturing process as well.

Dan