TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #1531
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
No, I didn't know that. I'll have to look up what happened.
...
The (S1 and not the new Virgin Media TiVo) UK forum is here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=14

and the threads about it started early this year, but some of them are still active, so the date of the most recent comments isn't necessarily the best way to find them.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #1532
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Is there a certain component that I could swap out from a working Series 3 (bought from eBay or Craigslist)? Our Series 3 has lifetime so Id like to keep it working.
Yes, you could swap the hard drive and the power supply from a second S3 and see if that resolves the issue.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #1533
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Hi all,

We have a Series 3 using cablecards (Comcast cable in Seattle, WA). We bought it the first day it came out, so its over 5 years old. Over the past few weeks weve been getting more and more pixilated video/garbled audio. I followed TiVos HD pixilation diagnostic instructions, and I saw tons of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on each tuner when using cablecards (tens of thousands of errors).

Here are the troubleshooting steps Ive gone through so far:

Manually rebooted (unplugged, waited 15 seconds, plugged back in) no change
Got different cablecards from Comcast no change
Kickstart 57 no change
Kickstart 54 - All S.M.A.R.T. tests passed

I've noticed over the past year or two the occasional cablecard error. So, before I bothered checking wiring or swapping out coaxial cables, I thought, I wonder if the problem occurs on unencrypted QAM? I removed the cablecards, ran a channel scan, and the picture and sound are great zero RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on both tuners! This leads me to believe that some component in the cablecard pathway inside the TiVo is the problem, since a different set of cablecards had the same issue, and unencrypted QAM looks great.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a certain component that I could swap out from a working Series 3 (bought from eBay or Craigslist)? Our Series 3 has lifetime so Id like to keep it working. I havent soldered anything in 20 years, but Im willing to give it a try, if necessary.
The audio/video issues were resolved after I installed the new power supply. Thanks everyone for your input and advice!
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #1534
DrSnoCaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Caps are cheap... If you can solder.. id recommend you change them and see if that solves the problem before investing in a new power supply.
Any chance you have a list of which ones to order (complete set) and where's the best place to get them from?
DrSnoCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #1535
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnoCaps View Post
Any chance you have a list of which ones to order (complete set) and where's the best place to get them from?
You probably don't need a complete set.

Usually it'll be one or maybe 2 on one of the output voltages.

What model TiVo do you have and have you had the power supply out and actually found the ones with a slight, or greater, bulge, or leakage?

Have you gone to Wikipedia and read their page on "capacitor plague" to learn how to spot the problem visually?

The tops should be absolutely, positively flat.

Do you have any soldering experience and equipment?

As to where to get them, where are you geographically?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #1536
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnoCaps View Post
Any chance you have a list of which ones to order (complete set) and where's the best place to get them from?
I order caps from MCM Electronics.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #1537
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I order caps from MCM Electronics.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/
The only problem with MCM, at least as of a couple of years ago, is shipping fees start a little high and go up with purchase price, which is okay if you're buying a lot of heavy stuff, but otherwise a bit off-putting.

But they are good people to deal with otherwise.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #1538
classygal31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Series 3 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Okay, sell me the power supply cheap and I'll fix it.

Apparently DVRUpgrade also sells power supplies, but apparently they and weaknees are really the same people now.

9th Tee doesn't seem to have any, and I'm not sure if they even mess with anything newer than Series 2s.
I am having the same problem as AVSman. I found a bulging capacitor in the power supply and had it replaced. Reconnected the TiVo Series 3 and it still is pixelating, freezing, stuttering and then automatically rebooting itself. Any other suggestions? Should I try to replace the entire power supply instead of just the one capacitor I thought was bad?
classygal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #1539
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygal31 View Post
I am having the same problem as AVSman. I found a bulging capacitor in the power supply and had it replaced. Reconnected the TiVo Series 3 and it still is pixelating, freezing, stuttering and then automatically rebooting itself. Any other suggestions? Should I try to replace the entire power supply instead of just the one capacitor I thought was bad?
Did whoever did the replacing test the power supply in the TiVo?

Longer than 5 minutes?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #1540
classygal31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
No, he tested the capacitors in the power supply and said they were all ok. Then, the power supply was put back in the TiVo and started up. It didn't appear to solve any of the existing issues. I'm trying to buy a used TiVo so I can replace the entire power supply and hope that works.
classygal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #1541
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygal31 View Post
No, he tested the capacitors in the power supply and said they were all ok. Then, the power supply was put back in the TiVo and started up. It didn't appear to solve any of the existing issues. I'm trying to buy a used TiVo so I can replace the entire power supply and hope that works.
All OK except the one that was bulging and needed to be replaced?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #1542
classygal31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
All OK except the one that was bulging and needed to be replaced?
That's what the repairman said, although with my Tivo Series 3 still acting up I'm a little suspicious. I took it apart again, examined all the capacitors in the power supply and they all appear to have completely flat tops. If I completely remove the cable cards, the Tivo works fine. I've replaced the cable cards in the last few days on advice of Tivo support. I'm pretty sure it's the power supply, but just not obvious which other capacitor is bad or maybe something else within the power supply?
classygal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #1543
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygal31 View Post
That's what the repairman said, although with my Tivo Series 3 still acting up I'm a little suspicious. I took it apart again, examined all the capacitors in the power supply and they all appear to have completely flat tops. If I completely remove the cable cards, the Tivo works fine. I've replaced the cable cards in the last few days on advice of Tivo support. I'm pretty sure it's the power supply, but just not obvious which other capacitor is bad or maybe something else within the power supply?
Somebody else around here the other day ran into the "adding cable cards adds just enough extra load to cause problems" problem, and I seem to recall power supply repair fixed it.

Ask the repairman if he/she used a low ESR replacement. The only acceptable answer is yes.

Ask them if there was another capacitor in parallel on the same output rail with the one they changed out. (there probably was and it was probably the +5 Volt rail)

If so, it was in a situation where it was trying to do the work of both and I'd replace it as well just on general principles.

Get them to look at the +3.3 Volt and +5 Volt outputs with an oscilloscope and watch what happens when a cable card is inserted.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #1544
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Get them to look at the +3.3 Volt and +5 Volt outputs with an oscilloscope and watch what happens when a cable card is inserted.
Hmmm, just like reading the TV repair column in the old Radio Electronics magazine. First debug tip was "scope the B+".
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #1545
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Hmmm, just like reading the TV repair column in the old Radio Electronics magazine. First debug tip was "scope the B+".
"For Men With Ideas In Electronics"!
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #1546
classygal31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Somebody else around here the other day ran into the "adding cable cards adds just enough extra load to cause problems" problem, and I seem to recall power supply repair fixed it.

Ask the repairman if he/she used a low ESR replacement. The only acceptable answer is yes.

Ask them if there was another capacitor in parallel on the same output rail with the one they changed out. (there probably was and it was probably the +5 Volt rail)

If so, it was in a situation where it was trying to do the work of both and I'd replace it as well just on general principles.

Get them to look at the +3.3 Volt and +5 Volt outputs with an oscilloscope and watch what happens when a cable card is inserted.
Ok. It just so happens that in the time it took for me to get back here to read this post, my Series 3 is now rebooting without the cable cards in it. I'm going to replace the entire power supply. I've been watching eBay, however, it seems the Series 3 prices are being jacked up due to the holidays. They are going for $70+, so I'll have to wait until next month to find a deal.
classygal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #1547
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygal31 View Post
Ok. It just so happens that in the time it took for me to get back here to read this post, my Series 3 is now rebooting without the cable cards in it. I'm going to replace the entire power supply. I've been watching eBay, however, it seems the Series 3 prices are being jacked up due to the holidays. They are going for $70+, so I'll have to wait until next month to find a deal.
Get your guy to replace the one he replaced and all the ones in parallel with it with Low ESR caps rated for 105 degrees Centigrade.

Try it like that for a while.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #1548
debsmusings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Are you still seeing pixelation issues on Comedy Central? I am researching this issue that I have been seeing for over a year and am trying to see if I can document other problems in the TIVO community.

I use FIOS and regularly have pixelation problems with The Daily Show, Colbert Report and TOSH.0
debsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #1549
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsmusings View Post
Are you still seeing pixelation issues on Comedy Central? I am researching this issue that I have been seeing for over a year and am trying to see if I can document other problems in the TIVO community.

I use FIOS and regularly have pixelation problems with The Daily Show, Colbert Report and TOSH.0
Chances are whoever you get that channel from has a problem with the satellite downlink during those times, or else Comedy Central has a problem with their satellite uplink.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #1550
debsmusings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Chances are whoever you get that channel from has a problem with the satellite downlink during those times, or else Comedy Central has a problem with their satellite uplink.
That may be the case. My problem is that its hard to get these kinds of issues percolated to the source of the problem without evidence that multiple users are seeing this problem. So I am wondering how many TIVO users are having pixelation problems with their Comedy Central HD channel. I am on FIOS but I see that other users of other systems also see similar problems.

I am thinking ultimately it could be a comedy central problem. But it won't get treated at the source if I am the only one complaining.
debsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #1551
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsmusings View Post
That may be the case. My problem is that its hard to get these kinds of issues percolated to the source of the problem without evidence that multiple users are seeing this problem. So I am wondering how many TIVO users are having pixelation problems with their Comedy Central HD channel. I am on FIOS but I see that other users of other systems also see similar problems.

I am thinking ultimately it could be a comedy central problem. But it won't get treated at the source if I am the only one complaining.
And as long as the uplink and downlink pass through the atmosphere, it may be incurable.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #1552
astroglide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31
S3 TCD648250B with a single 1TB drive and dual M-cards. It started pixelating, and I've discovered that removing a single card is enough to completely resolve it. No other issues - it works perfect with one tuner, using either card. Is there a typical cause for this symptom? Thx!
astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #1553
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroglide View Post
S3 TCD648250B with a single 1TB drive and dual M-cards. It started pixelating, and I've discovered that removing a single card is enough to completely resolve it. No other issues - it works perfect with one tuner, using either card. Is there a typical cause for this symptom? Thx!
One possible explanation is the power supply is falling victim to "capacitor plague", and the extra power demand of the extra card is enough to push it beyond its current ability to reliably supply current.

If it's an S2 or S3 with strange symptoms, suspect the power supply caps, especially the ones on the +5 and +12 V outputs, first.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #1554
astroglide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Popped the top and checked the caps: one leaking, one bulging. Thx for the pointers! I figure I might as well replace all of them, and I see people starting to put lists together in threads like this one. Anyone know if there's a full kit out there for the S3 OLED PSU a la the badcaps.net motherboard kits? Would love to add just one batch item to a cart and check out with confidence. I did email badcaps about it, BTW.

Last edited by astroglide : 09-14-2012 at 10:46 PM.
astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #1555
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroglide View Post
Popped the top and checked the caps: one leaking, one bulging. Thx for the pointers! I figure I might as well replace all of them, and I see people starting to put lists together in threads like this one. Anyone know if there's a full kit out there for the S3 OLED PSU a la the badcaps.net motherboard kits? Would love to add just one batch item to a cart and check out with confidence. I did email badcaps about it, BTW.
Replacing all of the caps is usually overkill, as it's most often just the ones on the 5 and 12 outs that fail, and the more of them the home gamer has to replace the greater the chances of putting one in backwards or getting two of them swapped, and although unlikely, it's not impossible that there's some other component gone bad (or that there's also a problem that's somewhere other than on the power supply board), so anyone offering a "kit" has to be ready to deal with buyers who come back yelling they've been cheated.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1556
astroglide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Okay okay, you've sold me :-) Ordering just the three bad ones, for now. Thx, unitron!
astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #1557
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroglide View Post
Okay okay, you've sold me :-) Ordering just the three bad ones, for now. Thx, unitron!
Find all of the ones with their negative leads connected to the black wires via the copper on the bottom of the board, and with their positive leads connected directly to either the red or yellow wires, and replace all of them.

Haven't yet had my hands on that particular PS before, so I don't know how many caps that would be, although probably no more than 2 per voltage (i.e., 2 on the red and 2 on the yellow)

Of course any other visually bad (and any that are electrically in parallel with them if you know how to determine that) should also be replaced.

If the place where the negative lead of a cap comes out the bottom of the board is directly connected to where the negative lead of another cap is connected, AND the place where the positive lead goes through is also directly connected to the positive lead of the second cap, that's being in parallel, and if one had gone bad, the other's been trying to do the job of both, and has probably suffered for it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #1558
GerryFR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 12
Lost Channels and Pixelation Problem Solved.

I have been having problems with my two HD Tivos (Series 3 and HD) for several years with lost channels and pix-elation. I have had numerous Cox service calls but most ended with replaced cables and with blaming me for putting the coax cables where they could be bent or stepped on.

The Cox tech, that came out to my house today, fixed my Tivo problem, but it took him about two hours to do it. It seems that there are two sets of channel signals in this Cox system, the older analog signals, and the newer HD signals. The front end of the Tivo, as well as any other tuner device, had an automatic gain control on the input RF signal so that the receiver in the tuning device had the proper signal level going into it. Unfortunately, if these two types of channel signal levels are too far out of balance, the AGC circuitry, in the Tivos, would attenuate the input signals down so that the most powerful signal was adjusted properly but this meant that the lower power signals would get attenuated down to where some of the channel signals would be too low for the Tivo tuners. This would result in pictures breaking up and missing channels.

The tech took channel signal level measurement on a special spectrum analyzer meter, that he carried, and found that my channel signal levels were severely out of balance. To fix the problem, he put several filters in line with my cable input, which lowered the power level of the higher frequency channels to make all signal levels the same value. Two filters, in series, were required to attenuate the signal enough. Once the signal levels were the same, he then found that both signal levels were now too low to work properly. He then needed to amplify the incoming signals to get them to the proper power level. He did this by putting an amplifier, outside, in front of the outside power splitter and powered it with a power injector module that I power with a standard power supply module in my living room. With the amplifier in place, both of my cable outputs now had the proper power and noise levels. We had to restart all of the Tivo's associated equipment, but once they were running again, my channel and pix-elation problems went away on both Tivos. It took him several hours to do the job, but it was worth the wait. It was ironic, that when these previous Cox techs fixed any "bad" coax cables, that I had, that they actually made the power differential between these two different sets of channel signal levels greater. The higher frequency channel signal levels would improve the most, with the cable improvements, and that would result in the Tivo's AGC circuitry attenuating the input signals even more. That is why my Tivo problems got worse with each service call.
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #1559
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryFR View Post
I have been having problems with my two HD Tivos (Series 3 and HD) for several years with lost channels and pix-elation. I have had numerous Cox service calls but most ended with replaced cables and with blaming me for putting the coax cables where they could be bent or stepped on.

The Cox tech, that came out to my house today, fixed my Tivo problem, but it took him about two hours to do it. It seems that there are two sets of channel signals in this Cox system, the older analog signals, and the newer HD signals. The front end of the Tivo, as well as any other tuner device, had an automatic gain control on the input RF signal so that the receiver in the tuning device had the proper signal level going into it. Unfortunately, if these two types of channel signal levels are too far out of balance, the AGC circuitry, in the Tivos, would attenuate the input signals down so that the most powerful signal was adjusted properly but this meant that the lower power signals would get attenuated down to where some of the channel signals would be too low for the Tivo tuners. This would result in pictures breaking up and missing channels.

The tech took channel signal level measurement on a special spectrum analyzer meter, that he carried, and found that my channel signal levels were severely out of balance. To fix the problem, he put several filters in line with my cable input, which lowered the power level of the higher frequency channels to make all signal levels the same value. Two filters, in series, were required to attenuate the signal enough. Once the signal levels were the same, he then found that both signal levels were now too low to work properly. He then needed to amplify the incoming signals to get them to the proper power level. He did this by putting an amplifier, outside, in front of the outside power splitter and powered it with a power injector module that I power with a standard power supply module in my living room. With the amplifier in place, both of my cable outputs now had the proper power and noise levels. We had to restart all of the Tivo's associated equipment, but once they were running again, my channel and pix-elation problems went away on both Tivos. It took him several hours to do the job, but it was worth the wait. It was ironic, that when these previous Cox techs fixed any "bad" coax cables, that I had, that they actually made the power differential between these two different sets of channel signal levels greater. The higher frequency channel signal levels would improve the most, with the cable improvements, and that would result in the Tivo's AGC circuitry attenuating the input signals even more. That is why my Tivo problems got worse with each service call.
Very interesting and informative. Are all of the "digital" channels fed at a higher frequency than the analog channels on your system? It would seem that the AGC should be reacting in real time to the level of the particular frequency being tuned regardless of the levels of other frequencies.

Of course if the digital channels are interleaved in any way with the analog ones, then strong adjacent channels could perhaps swamp the AGC regardless of modulation scheme.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #1560
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Very interesting and informative. Are all of the "digital" channels fed at a higher frequency than the analog channels on your system? It would seem that the AGC should be reacting in real time to the level of the particular frequency being tuned regardless of the levels of other frequencies.

Of course if the digital channels are interleaved in any way with the analog ones, then strong adjacent channels could perhaps swamp the AGC regardless of modulation scheme.
Would have been interesting to see what Signal Strengths were reported in DVR Diagnostics for the high, low, and medium frequencies (before the tech did all the adjustments). I suspect they would have been outside the ranges where TiVo works properly (roughly 60 to 99) due to too much "tilt" at the cable tap, which means the tech was turning cartwheels to compensate for poor initial setup of the neighborhood distribution system. lrhorer has given a detailed explanation of "tilt" here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...78#post7604378
Of course if neighbors with Cable Co equipment were not experiencing problems this suggests TiVo tuners are just not as robust as they should be.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |