TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Skullbussa

Which unit has best UI/Performance?

I was wondering, out of all the new TiVOs being sold today, are any of them "faster" than the other?

I do not need more than 2 Tuners, so the standard Premiere seems to fit the bill. However, does the new Premiere 4 have a faster CPU or anything else other than 2 extra tuners to make it more desirable?

Thanks!
Skullbussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
compnurd

They all have the same CPU and relative performance. Some say the 2 Tuners are faster than the 4 and vice versa. Overall though it should be the same
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
I was wondering, out of all the new TiVOs being sold today, are any of them "faster" than the other?

I do not need more than 2 Tuners, so the standard Premiere seems to fit the bill. However, does the new Premiere 4 have a faster CPU or anything else other than 2 extra tuners to make it more desirable?

Thanks!
In addition to the extra tuners, the new units have MoCA. Anecdotally, the 2-tuner units may be more responsive. The processing power is the same across all series 4 boxes.
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
scole250

Built in MoCA is something to consider if you want multiple Tivos and MRV/streaming and don't already have wired 100Mbit or better.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Skullbussa

Thanks for your responses, but this leads me to MoCA question:

Will MoCA benefit me if I want the following setup:

1. Living room with DVR (TiVO)

2. Bedroom with ability to use a guide and possibly stream recorded shows from TiVO in living room. But at minimum, just to have guide functionality.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
compnurd

You will need a second Tivo in the Bedroom. There is currently no way to access a guide or the other recordings without another box
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Skullbussa

Since I need a second TiVO, the MoCA really doesn't benefit me much does it?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
scole250

Tivo is supposed to release a stream client that functions like the current Stream, but works with TVs. Don't know of any other details or release date though.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
Since I need a second TiVO, the MoCA really doesn't benefit me much does it?
Yes and No. MOCA between the two will allow you to share your playlists between the units. So if you record something in the bedroom, you can watch it in the living room.

I have two premieres in the same set up and split the season passes among the units
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Tivo is supposed to release a stream client that functions like the current Stream, but works with TVs. Don't know of any other details or release date though.
That is not entirely correct They are releasing the Mini.

This will allow you to add basically a Hard Drive less Tivo to another TV. Giving you all of the options a current Tivo does without a HD. It also does not have an actually TV Tuner. What it will do via MOCA is lock down a tuner from your other Premiere to watch Live TV on it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
scole250

The Mini is what I meant, but didn't know the details. Any idea of cost or release date?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
The Mini is what I meant, but didn't know the details. Any idea of cost or release date?
No on both. We just know "Fall" there is a ton of threads here on it
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

A 2-tuner Premiere in the standard SDUI mode (standard def menus) is the fastest configuration.

Do you need a second box for recording capability, or do you just want an extender to playback recordings from the DVR, and maybe watch live TV occasionally?

If you just need an extender, there is a new device coming soon called the Tivo Mini. But it apparently requires a 4-tuner box at first. There will be a software update at some point in the future that will remove that requirement.

The primary benefit of moca is basically the ability to use your existing coax as networking cables. You can connect the Tivo wirelessly with an adapter if you want, but a wired connection is always optimal if you want to stream between multiple devices. Or you can just use ethernet too.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote