TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm betting the next unit released will be a high end unit that's still called a Premiere but has 6 tuners, a better processor and the streaming ability built in. They might even bundle it with a couple of Minis and sell it as a whole house solution. I bet it will still be considered a Series 4 though. Just like the TiVo HD was still considered a Series 3 even though it used completely different hardware then the original S3.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
..and of course you have to pay $30 per device for the app (i.e. you have to buy the iPhone and iPad apps separately, it's not universal, right) for SlingBoxes.. So tack $30+ on the price for comparison.

We know? I thought it was hypothesized so far, and it is logical to hypothesize, but how do we know it?
Yes that is correct about the app price. You can run the iphone slingmobile app on your ipad, but it is pixeled doubled like all iphone apps that run on the ipad.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Yes that is correct about the app price. You can run the iphone slingmobile app on your ipad, but it is pixeled doubled like all iphone apps that run on the ipad.
When I first got my iPad I accidentally bought the iPhone version of the app because I thought all apps were universal. It looked like crap on my iPad. When I realized there was an iPad specific version I complained to Apple and they gave me a refund for the iPhone one so I could buy the right one. Then after buying the iPad one I discovered my Slingbox was broken and couldn't maintain a connection for more then about 20 minutes (some known issue with capacitors) so it turned out to be a complete waste.

In my opinion charging for the app at all is crappy, but charging the same ridiculous price for different iPhone and iPad versions is just gouging.

From what I understand there is a competitor to Sling now and their app is free.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
When I first got my iPad I accidentally bought the iPhone version of the app because I thought all apps were universal. It looked like crap on my iPad. When I realized there was an iPad specific version I complained to Apple and they gave me a refund for the iPhone one so I could buy the right one. Then after buying the iPad one I discovered my Slingbox was broken and couldn't maintain a connection for more then about 20 minutes (some known issue with capacitors) so it turned out to be a complete waste.

In my opinion charging for the app at all is crappy, but charging the same ridiculous price for different iPhone and iPad versions is just gouging.

From what I understand there is a competitor to Sling now and their app is free.

Dan
WHo is the competitor? I've been using a Hava HD platinum for around 3.5 years which does what a Sling Box does. The app for my box is free but for the newer boxes which are called Vulkanos, there is a $13 fee for the app. But it can also be used on 4G networks. The free app can only be used with 3G and WiFi.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's the one I was thinking of. I didn't realize there were multiple apps. But $13 is still better then $30 and it's a universal app so it's not $13 for an iPad and then another $13 for a iPhone. Plus the device itself is cheaper then a Slingbox by at least $30.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #36
morac
Cat God

What's worse is Sling provides absolutely no support. So if you buy the $30 app and have a problem with it your S.O.L. unless you want to go through Sling's paid support. Sling's stand alone products are basically coasting at this point. They are putting all their effort into their Dish combo products.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
mattack

From the Amazon reviews, apparently the episode guide for the Vulkanos has been messed up for month(s).. Though IMHO, I wouldn't need that, I'd just want to control Tivos and possibly my other recorder.

Looks like the ~$100 Vulkano has 2 composite and 2 component inputs. That's a lot more than the Slingboxes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #38
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
From the Amazon reviews, apparently the episode guide for the Vulkanos has been messed up for month(s).. Though IMHO, I wouldn't need that, I'd just want to control Tivos and possibly my other recorder.

Looks like the ~$100 Vulkano has 2 composite and 2 component inputs. That's a lot more than the Slingboxes.
When I looked into Vulkanos originally, they could stream or they could record, but not both at the same time.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

I don't see the point in having the Vulkano record if it's going to be hooked up to a TiVo. The TiVo does the recording. I have my Hava connected to a Premiere in my bedroom. From that box I have access to any recording from the Premiere and from my two Elite boxes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
mattack

Though on one of the recent Engadget HD podcasts, they mentioned that you can do the "sideloading" with the Vulkano too? i.e. from any content you could connect to the Vulkano?

that makes it interesting.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote