TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
iWish

Replacement Hard Drives - Options

Premier Hard Drive seems to have died. Stuck at start up screen and S.M.A.R.T. testing incates "Fail 7" for both short test and extended test. Since I have lifetime want to replace the hard drive.

I don't want to format a replacement drive myself as it seems a little technical so was looking at amazon and ebay for already formated drives.

Noticed that there are some Premier XL units available near or even below what a formated replacement drive costs.

Is there any reason why I can't buy the XL and just take drive and put it in my unit with lifetime????

I figure this way I get other replacement parts and a working XL assuming I can't get my current unit to work.

Thoughts and feedback much appreciated!!!!
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Why not just buy one from weaknees?
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
MeInDallas

Here is a Premiere XL for $99 on Ebay, you can buy and swap the drive out with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premier...#ht_720wt_1113
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
MeInDallas

I'm wondering now is that actually an XL because I think the XL has the "XL" letters on the front of it. Might be listed wrong.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
iWish

Weakness prices are high compared to some Amazon and EBay sellers.

Good point on the XL. Will double check if I go with that seller.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post
Weakness prices are high compared to some Amazon and EBay sellers.

Good point on the XL. Will double check if I go with that seller.
Look at DVR_Dude on ebay. Good reputation based on posts here.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Premiere (TCD 746xxx) and Premiere XL (TCD748000) are slightly different models with different Tivo software on the drive, so you cannot move a XL drive to a regular Premiere. Another difference is the TCD748 has THX while TCD746 does not.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post
Premier Hard Drive seems to have died. Stuck at start up screen and S.M.A.R.T. testing incates "Fail 7" for both short test and extended test. Since I have lifetime want to replace the hard drive.

I don't want to format a replacement drive myself as it seems a little technical so was looking at amazon and ebay for already formated drives.

Noticed that there are some Premier XL units available near or even below what a formated replacement drive costs.

Is there any reason why I can't buy the XL and just take drive and put it in my unit with lifetime????

I figure this way I get other replacement parts and a working XL assuming I can't get my current unit to work.

Thoughts and feedback much appreciated!!!!
No, the XL drive won't work in the regular Premiere. What you could do is buy a used Premeire and stick that drive in yours. I picked up a new Premiere off of eBay for $51/shipped just for spare parts. The technical part of imaging a drive is not that tough except that Premiere drives can only be copied (not a stand alone image like older Tivos). The JMFS software is free and the copying can be done using a pair of inexpensive USB to SATA cables.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
iWish

UPDATE: Picked up a refurbished TiVo for $50. Both units are 746 series but replacement drive isn't working in my unit with lifetime. I get the start up screen but then either a striped grey and white screen or Dark grey screen. Any ideas. Thanks!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
LifeIsABeach

Try putting the hard drive back into the refurb TiVo and see if it boots. Maybe the drive is bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
iWish

Refurbished Tivo and hard drive successfully gets through start up screen so doesn't appear to be bad replacement drive.

Last edited by iWish : 09-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
LifeIsABeach

Maybe there is something wrong with the original TiVo. I know it failed the disk tests, but does the original drive happen to boot up if put in the new TiVo?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
iWish

Good news. I did get the new drive working in the unit with lifetime. Not sure why it wouldn't work the first few times. I did put it back in the refurbished tivo and updated the software and then reinstalled in the lifetimed tivo. At first, I got a error 51, but after a reboot it seems to be fine. Crossing my fingers it will just work for a few more years.