TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
markwellbe

Angry Tivo Stream DOA

Just got my TiVo Stream today, read the instructions and plugged it in. The fan powers on the Ethernet lights flicker for a second and then that's it. No lights nothing. Tried different cables switches power and nothing. Worked with TiVo support and no luck. They are shipping out a new one but will not see it until next week.
markwellbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I think it takes about 5 minutes to boot up, did you wait that long?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

It could have been operator error. Did this really need it own separate thread?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Also, the lights go off during a firmware upgrade I believe.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
markwellbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Was plugged in for one hour the first time and multiple hours after that...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
markwellbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
It could have been operator error. Did this really need it own separate thread?
Tivo Support was unable to get it working after an hour of phone support. I am also a network engineer so I hope it was not "operator error" Post was just for information take it for what you want, maybe a one off issue or may be a quality control problem.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

It sucks to get a dead unit but every piece of electronics sold has a certain percentage of problem boxes. Unfortunately you drew the short straw.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
smbaker

Assuming he was a sweepstakes "winner", they should have overnighted him a replacement.

I agree there's a nonzero probability of DOA with getting any piece of electronics. However, how the company deals with it is important, particularly when it's during a period when they're trying to drum up good PR for a new product launch.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, it's not surprising this can happen.

The DOA factor applies to anything electronic. If you get a shipment of 500 fluorescent light fixtures and all 500 of them are flawless, then you got lucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
generaltso

Mine had major issues as well. I got a replacement today, which works perfectly.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

At what point in the process should you see an ethernet link light? I plugged mine in, been in for almost 10mins and still nada. I hear the fan running and the box is getting warm though.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
markwellbe

Well got a new one today from Best Buy. The new one powered up right away, and the status light turned orange then flashed white right away, my old one never even got that far (no status lights what so ever).
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwellbe View Post
Well got a new one today from Best Buy. The new one powered up right away, and the status light turned orange then flashed white right away, my old one never even got that far (no status lights what so ever).
Sounds like I got a dud too, no lights whatso ever, fan on and some heat coming out of the box, but nothing else.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
At what point in the process should you see an ethernet link light? I plugged mine in, been in for almost 10mins and still nada. I hear the fan running and the box is getting warm though.
Wait at least 10 minutes. By then, it should be solid white. If it is still blinking orange or orange/white, I'd suspect something is bad. I had a similar problem with my first unit (that turned out to be bad).
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Wait at least 10 minutes. By then, it should be solid white. If it is still blinking orange or orange/white, I'd suspect something is bad. I had a similar problem with my first unit (that turned out to be bad).
Nothing blinking anywhere.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #16
miller890

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwellbe View Post
They are shipping out a new one but will not see it until next week.
Assuming it was purchased from TiVo, I think I would have asked them to over night a replacement or requested a refund since they are showing up in Best Buy stores. After reading another post regarding extended warranties, I would go that route with Best Buy. At $25 that is still cheaper than a replacement power supply. I have lost a number of external power supplies on net cams over the years with power in my area.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB

Last edited by miller890 : 09-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
stevegs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Sounds like I got a dud too, no lights whatso ever, fan on and some heat coming out of the box, but nothing else.
I received mine today-same issue. Called Tivo, they are sending a replacement.
stevegs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
russl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegs1 View Post
I received mine today-same issue. Called Tivo, they are sending a replacement.
Same thing here. I didn't want to hold for phone support so I sent an email. Hopefully I'll get a relatively quick response.

Russ
russl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... DOA rate seems a bit high on these. I wonder if they got a bad batch of power supplies? Those stupid little power bricks can cause all sorts of problems with the device if they're bad. If any of you have a spare power brick that's the right size and rating you should try it and see if it works.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
samaritan66

I worked with a TiVo customer support rep for quite a while yesterday. It was a good experience, and he was great.

He said that there was an issue with the mac address (physical address of the network card) in the stream being different than the one printed on the cardboard and on the actual stream box. I noticed this when I was checking to make sure it got a DHCP address.

They said the first time it connects, it should update and correct this. Mine tried to connect and update 30 times, according to him. We gave up after we did quite a few things to try to get it to work.

This failed for me on Sunday night, on lunch yesterday I purchased a new one and left it unopened until I had tried to get the first one working yesterday evening with TiVo's help.

The second one launched with no problems. You have to run to the TiVo at some point to force a test connection, but other than that, no fuss.

My advice would be to make sure your iPad/iphone/ipod is plugged into power and do not leave the TiVo application until the process is complete.

I am enjoying it very much. I have a few food network shows and an episode of The Closer on it. A few shows transferred over (BBQ University) but did not play. I'll try to load them again tonight.

One nice surprise for me was that HBO recordings will stream to the iPad, but they of course won't transfer. HBO go kind of makes this a non-issue, though.

Good luck.
samaritan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaritan66 View Post
One nice surprise for me was that HBO recordings will stream to the iPad, but they of course won't transfer. HBO go kind of makes this a non-issue, though.
Everything should stream (versus offload) as this is CableLabs approved - it's like any other dvr/tv combo when it comes to streaming. However, I do wonder if this will lead to CableLabs changes...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
However, I do wonder if this will lead to CableLabs changes...
I doubt it. As long as they don't allow streaming outside the home they should be fine. It's no different then an extender streaming to a secondary TV. Although we could hope that maybe Cable Labs would change things for the better and allow streaming outside the home too. That would be nice.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I doubt it. As long as they don't allow streaming outside the home they should be fine. It's no different then an extender streaming to a secondary TV.
Except every provider (Comcast, TWC, etc) that has an app has negotiated the live streaming of a subset of the channel lineup to a tablet or smartphone within the house. This is effectively an end-around. (Yes!) Then again, TiVo is a small player and maybe it's not worth making noise over.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Except every provider (Comcast, TWC, etc) that has an app has negotiated the live streaming of a subset of the channel lineup to a tablet or smartphone within the house. This is effectively an end-around. (Yes!) Then again, TiVo is a small player and maybe it's not worth making noise over.
I'm not sure about other providers, but for Comcast channels that can be live streamed (and that number can be counted on one hand) can be streamed regardless of the location. At least that's how it works on my iPad/iPhone. I download the channel's app and then log in with my Comcast credentials and can then watch existing content and, in rare cases, watch live TV.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Comcast's own app only gives access to their VoD library, not live TV. That too is available outside the home. My brother has TW and their app does allow watching Live TV, but only in the home.

Last edited by morac : 09-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I don't see it that way. Not an end around. The cable companies negotiated with the content owners to allow it.
TiVo could do the same thing, only they are not a cable company that has negotiating power with the content owners.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think that's different. As morac said those apps allow streaming outside the home, and it's live TV not pre-recorded content. I think TiVo is well within their rights to stream content like this inside the home. It's really no different then streaming TiVo to TiVo to view on another TV. Outside the home might be a different story though, which may be why it's currently not allowed rather then technical reasons.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
morac
Cat God

Well actually most channel apps are pre-recorded content only (HBO2Go, TBS, TNT, etc). Until recently many could be used by anyone, but now they all require logging in with cable company credentials. If your cable company isn't on the list, you can't watch. For example Comcast won't support Epix, so I can't use their app.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #28
ShayL

Quote:
Does FIOS offer this?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Does FIOS offer this?
They demo-ed it at CES 2010 and it looks like its in beta now. It's my understanding it had launched back then as they were negotiating rights.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/v...v-app-for-ios/
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

my replacement stream arrived today. It is doing the same thing the old one was doing. Been plugged in for about 15mins now, the fan is on and the unit is getting warm, but no lights are on. The ipad can't find the stream on the network.