TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why does the Stream make a nightly "call"?

I was just looking at the system information screen in the iPad app and it has an entry for last call status and next scheduled call which is set for tomorrow. The stream doesn't get any guide data so why does it need to make a nightly call? I guess it will occasionally get software updates, but it seems like they could use a push method for that rather then a pull method. Just seems odd to me that it would need to make a call at all, let alone nightly.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I was just looking at the system information screen in the iPad app and it has an entry for last call status and next scheduled call which is set for tomorrow. The stream doesn't get any guide data so why does it need to make a nightly call? I guess it will occasionally get software updates, but it seems like they could use a push method for that rather then a pull method. Just seems odd to me that it would need to make a call at all, let alone nightly.

Dan
Interesting. Good question. Here is my guess. TiVo is uploading the streaming data for audience research and possibly future advertising purposes. Currently the mobile apps don't have any advertising but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Interesting idea. And very plausible.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
smbaker

It could be making the nightly call to check for updates and to sync it's clock.

I'm imagining the software inside of the stream may be based on the Premiere's software. The Premiere makes nightly calls. The stream might do so as well.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Is it possible its using beta software like the Elite apparently was for the first month or two? Could be collecting stability data, or whatever it is they collect. Some were calling the contest a public beta test, afterall. We DO have the fall update coming around the corner too... But don't know if there's any relation.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-08-2012 at 12:55 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think it ships with beta software. Someone had trouble getting through the initial update it does and their version number had a J5 in it. TiVo only uses letters like that in beta or pre-release software.

Dan
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
jfh3

It could also be updating to get info on valid Premiere TSNs on the account. Unlike TiVo To Go, the Stream does not require the entry of your MAK.

Part of the setup process is adding the TSN of the Stream. The Stream doesn't function with a target Premiere until that Premiere has made a network connection with TiVo, presumably to learn about the Streams on the account.

What does this mean? Probably that I can't bring someone else's Premiere to my house and download a program from it.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)

Last edited by jfh3 : 09-08-2012 at 11:00 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ahhh... Another good theory.

Although doesn't TiVo have some sort of IM protocol they use to alert boxes when they need to make a call? Seems like it would be easier just to use that to tell the box when it needs to call in to update the approved list or get a software update. Since I doubt either of those would happen frequently enough to justify a nightly call.

Dan
Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
jfh3

I don't know about an IM protocol, but I'm guessing there is log info in the Stream that TiVo wants to collect on a regular basis, so that may be the primary reason for the call.

- Elite XL4 (for sale)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
JosephB

I would be shocked if it were for any reason other than simply because that's the way TiVo does things. Why build a whole new infrastructure when you could just modify the existing TiVo service to provide account authorization, MAK distribution, clock sync, software distribution, and everything else a full-size TiVo does other than guide data to the Stream as necessary. I wouldn't be shocked to see the TiVo Minis work the same way.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
In additon to what other people said, push methods are less reliable the pull. Too many home routers and firewall block pushes unless correctly configured to allow that specific source; while pulls for common ports/protocols are almost always allowed.

Going to a push model would likely result in a bunch of Streams that never managed to make contact with TiVo's Servers.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
In additon to what other people said, push methods are less reliable the pull. Too many home routers and firewall block pushes unless correctly configured to allow that specific source; while pulls for common ports/protocols are almost always allowed.

Going to a push model would likely result in a bunch of Streams that never managed to make contact with TiVo's Servers.
Excellent point.

- Elite XL4 (for sale)