TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
FixItPete
Big Time Fan Newbie

Can I get the straight scoop when it comes to M-Cards and Comcast, please?

I have a TivoHD and I can't seem to get the straight scoop with regard to my M-Card.

I have an M-Card, and lucky for me, it works.

However, they are charging me $1.50 a month for it. When I called them they told me that the Single Ch. card is free, but the MCard isn't.

Is that legal or right?

Thanks,
Pete
FixItPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

$1.50 per month and you're complaining? Mine cost me $3.99 apiece and some people pay much more than that.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a "straight scoop". It very much varies by market.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItPete View Post

However, they are charging me $1.50 a month for it. When I called them they told me that the Single Ch. card is free, but the MCard isn't.
Actually, that's Single Stream, not Single Channel, but the distinction in this case is moot. The bottom line, however, is you would require 2 S-cards, and what do you want to bet at least one of them is not "free"? Of course there is also the issue of availability. No one has made an S-card in years. I would not be surprised if there were none available in your area.

Quote:
Is that legal or right?
It is most certainly legal. I won't argue whether or not it is "right", but many of us pay far more than $1.50 for their CableCards.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
$1.50 per month and you're complaining? Mine cost me $3.99 apiece and some people pay much more than that.
And you, like many of us, have more than 1 CableCard, I believe. I certainly do, although mine are $2.99 each, not $3.99.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a "straight scoop". It very much varies by market.
Yes it does. I have one multi stream card on my account for my TiVo HD for Comcast Limited Basic cable and I am charged $0 for it. Others have reported $1.50 charges, "HD Technology" fees, and the like.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
And you, like many of us, have more than 1 CableCard, I believe. I certainly do, although mine are $2.99 each, not $3.99.
Verizon originally charged me $2.99 back when they only had S-cards. I was grandfathered in at that rate when they switched over to M-cards. I finally retired my last S3 Tivo a few months back so I no longer have any of the $2.99 cards. I currently have three M-cards @ the $3.99 rate for two Ceton InfiniTV4 quad cablecard tuners and one SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime triple networked cablecard tuner.

$1.50 for an M-card is a great deal. Then again, there's a reason why I dropped Comcast over a decade ago.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I have a TivoHD and I can't seem to get the straight scoop with regard to my M-Card.

Is that legal or right?

Thanks,
Pete
What part of NJ are you in?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

When I was with Comcast it was pretty simple, the first device, cablebox OR CableCARD was bundled free, each device after has a charge.

I miss the day of $1.99 CableCARDs, with FiOS you pay $3.99 each, no discount, but it's the only minus to FiOS, everything else makes me happy every day that Comcast is nowhere in my life.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
When I was with Comcast it was pretty simple, the first device, cablebox OR CableCARD was bundled free, each device after has a charge.

I miss the day of $1.99 CableCARDs, with FiOS you pay $3.99 each, no discount, but it's the only minus to FiOS, everything else makes me happy every day that Comcast is nowhere in my life.
+1
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Verizon originally charged me $2.99 back when they only had S-cards.
Yeah, same for Time Warner. Times five. Ouch!

Quote:
I was grandfathered in at that rate when they switched over to M-cards.
TWC had the same rate for both S-cards and M-cards, until some time last year. They dropped the price for all CableCards to $1.99. Still times 5, though. Then eariler this year, I switched to Grande from TWC, and guess what? 'Back to $2.99 each. Ouch, again. Still, even with the higher CableCard rental costs, Grande is nonetheless less expensive than TWC, and has much better internet performance (by a factor of 3) to boot. Unfortunately, they are missing some HD channels I would really like to have. Except for MGMHD, they have the channels, just not in HD. OTOH, they do have AXSTV (formerly HDNET) and especially HDNETMV, which were both dropped by TWC when the owner insisted TWC send them out without copy protection. Still, for a $40 a month savings, I can live with it.

Quote:
I currently have three M-cards @ the $3.99 rate for two Ceton InfiniTV4 quad cablecard tuners and one SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime triple networked cablecard tuner.
Yeah. Try five on for size at that price. (No, I know you weren't complaining: it's not an attack on you. I'm just venting.)

Quote:
$1.50 for an M-card is a great deal.
Yeah, surely enough. In truth I have no problems with the CATV companies making money, even on CC rentals, but I really think there should be a cap on how much one ultimately pays for CC rental, or indeed STB / DVR rental. Of course, most CATV companies cut their STB / DVR rental fees much closer to the bone, but there is no way the CableCards TWC rented to me cost anywhere nearly $840, yet that is roughly what I was ultimately charged. A reasonable profit margin is one thing. A 700% profit margin is quite another.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
I miss the day of $1.99 CableCARDs, with FiOS you pay $3.99 each
Oy. For me that would be $20 a month. $240 a year. Mega-ouch!

FixItPete, at $18 a year, you don't know how good you have it.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Thank your lucky stars...I have an original S3 (requires two cards, either S or M or one of each) and a TiVo HD (one M-card)...all at $1.99/month for a total of $5.97/month.... (with Mediacom)
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

First CableCARD is for TV not TiVo

The first CableCARD Comcast provides free is intended to be plugged into your primary TV and tune one channel at a time (single stream), replacing the need for a cable box.

Quote:
the first [single-stream] device, cable box, OR CableCARD was bundled free, each device after has a charge
Since my TV doesn’t have a CableCARD slot, the only free equipment I'm eligible for is a cable box, so I pay $1.50 per month for each of my two TiVos' multi-stream cards.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
The first CableCARD Comcast provides free is intended to be plugged into your primary TV and tune one channel at a time (single stream), replacing the need for a cable box.

Since my TV doesn’t have a CableCARD slot, the only free equipment I'm eligible for is a cable box, so I pay $1.50 per month for each of my two TiVos' multi-stream cards.
The only part of that post that is correct is that a CableCard replaces the need for a cable box. Everything else? Wrong.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
the first [single-stream] device, cable box, OR CableCARD was bundled free, each device after has a charge
Please do NOT "correct" my post when attributing it to me, I can assure you that there was not an s-card requirement for the first card in my market.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:

Not true here with Comcast. I believe their terminology is that the first "outlet" is free, which is why there is no fee for the multi stream cable card in my TiVo HD.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
retiredqwest

I paid $1.10 for many months.... until last month. Now I pay nothing. And I didn't even ask them to remove it.

And a Comcast support CSR removed the charge. The way it is supposed to work NOW is the first CARD S or M it matters not on a OUTLET/DEVICE is free.

The M-Card can actually do 6 streams like on the Cetron thingy. So, it has nothing to do with streams/channels/tuners or whatever.

I had to go back to my 5-19-2011 bill that shows these charges.

THE big problem I don't know if this a standard practice in ALL of Comcast. You all need to do a little research and see if you can find the following in the attachment.

Oh and here is something else to throw at them.

If they insist you are required to pay.... Then explain you want an outlet fee removed since it is obvious I must have the 2 cards in 1 device if they are charging you a SECOND card fee on 1 outlet.

Remove $1.50 or $8.00 in my case..... I'm sure they will have to think that one over.

Have fun with this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-05-19_bill_Page_07.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
lrhorer

Quote:
Please do NOT "correct" my post when attributing it to me, I can assure you that there was not an s-card requirement for the first card in my market.
Or in any market, at least not at the current time. FCC regulations specifically demand that every provider stock and supply M-cards.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
NowPlaying

Cable card pricing seems to vary by market. In my area, Northern California, I get one cable box at no charge. Additional boxes are $5.00 each.

If I replace the primary cable box with a m-card I get a $2.50 credit on my bill for user supplied equipment. Additional m-cards are $1.50 each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NowPlaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
nrc
Cracker Soul

Unfortunately there's nothing in the regulations that I'm aware of that would prevent them from charging more for M-cards. But FCC regulations do state that their rates for cableCARDs must be clearly stated on their rate sheet or web site. So ask them to point out exactly where this extra charge for an M-Card is documented.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
agredon

According to Comcast's own pamphlets, the first Cablecard is supposed to be free. That said, when the salesman came by, he didn't even know what a cablecard was. After I explained to him what a cablecard is, he checked with somebody at Comcast and quoted a price of $1/month, which went up to $1.50 when he brought the paperwork back to sign. It wasn't worth the trouble of complaining since I was already getting a pretty good deal. BTW, if you're interested in Comcast, be aware that the door-to-door guys are able to offer better deals than what you would get if you called Comcast yourself. So, if they come by, make sure you get their card.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #23
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
^ This. Every market may operate under the Comcast brand but that doesn't mean they're homogeneous.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

From the latest price list I have from Comcast (Dec 2011 bill) in MA:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg comcast_cablecard.jpg (39.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
abauser

I'm in central NJ with Comcast. I have one TV with limited basic cable and no cable box. I get one MCard that costs me nothing. I pay no HD technology fee.
abauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Comcast doesn't charge me for my second cablecard but they do charge me a $9.95 charge for the additional outlet.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
lessd

Each area that Comcast serves, the pricing is different, even with any area the pricing is different, try as you may you will never get any answer for Comcast service cost that you can count on. IE. For me in the Hartford CT area about 4 months ago Comcast lowered the price of my four Cable Cards from $1.50 to $1.15 each, no reason. All my A/O charges are $0, Friends in my area have different costs than I do, I called from one of my friends home to see why he was paying $7.95/month/Cable card, the CSR wanted my name to look up why i was paying only $1.15, no way would I give her my name, but I could not lower my friends rate.
Someday Comcast may get their rates together but as of now I can't even get a list of what channels I paying for from the web or anybody else, I referring to all the digital stuff not HBO type channels.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
blue_ironman

I've talked to 5-6 Comcast reps over the last 2 days and gotten seemingly every possible answer. A couple didn't even know what Cablecards were and responded as if I'd just told them I wanted Comcast to stream Martians into my home. At least they didn't give me directly conflicting, but confidently delivered, information like the next two. Who to believe?

How hard is it to handle this? Either you have a cable box or you don't. Either you have a cablecard or you don't. Assign a price and be done. Very frustrating.
blue_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_ironman View Post
I've talked to 5-6 Comcast reps over the last 2 days and gotten seemingly every possible answer. A couple didn't even know what Cablecards were and responded as if I'd just told them I wanted Comcast to stream Martians into my home. At least they didn't give me directly conflicting, but confidently delivered, information like the next two. Who to believe?

How hard is it to handle this? Either you have a cable box or you don't. Either you have a cablecard or you don't. Assign a price and be done. Very frustrating.
I upgraded my Comcast contract with a new two year deal that included HBO and a much faster Internet speed, now i don't have to call them for the next two years to get a good price, they came out and upgraded my modem to D3 so the speed test is now above 65Mb/s and can pin the speed meter at 100 for a few seconds, but Comcast also sent me another DTA adapter, I already have two, my newest bill does not show any charge for this third adapter, Comcast pricing is a black hole. (and i though TiVo pricing was confusing)