TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
headless chicken

Advantages of a Series3?

So I'm thinking of selling my 1 TB upgraded Series3 for an XL4. Are there any advantages or exclusives to the Series3 that I'd be giving up? The only thing that comes to mind is that the S3 is the only model to display the name of the shows recording on the front OLED panel display.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
So I'm thinking of selling my 1 TB upgraded Series3 for an XL4. Are there any advantages or exclusives to the Series3 that I'd be giving up? The only thing that comes to mind is that the S3 is the only model to display the name of the shows recording on the front OLED panel display.
There appear to be those of the opinion that the over the air tuners on that model are superior to those on the various Series 4 models.

See if TiVo will sell you a lifetime sub for that S3 for $99 if you buy an S4.

Ask them before you buy, while you have leverage.

If so, that increases the resale value of the S3 more than $100 worth, since if someone can't get the deal they have to pay $400 or $500 for lifetime.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
See if TiVo will sell you a lifetime sub for that S3 for $99 if you buy an S4.

Ask them before you buy, while you have leverage.
I have lifetime on the Series3. What should I be asking for it?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
I have lifetime on the Series3. What should I be asking for it?
That depends on whether you're selling it to me or just to some stranger.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
pmiranda

The S3 is hackable. In every other way my Premiere seems to work better.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
thomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
The S3 is hackable...
And that is why I'd rather have an S3. Able to share ALL recorded programs from 1 tivo to another.
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
The S3 is hackable.
Which in my estimation is huge. The features potentially enabled by this are myriad and some are extremely important, IMO. Indeed, for me it is an absolute deal breaker.

Quote:
In every other way my Premiere seems to work better.
Not at all. The Premier is inferior in a number of ways. First of all, the search functions, by far among the very most important feature set of the TiVo, have been badly gutted. Even if the Premier were hackable, there are at least two search areas that would also be deal breakers. The Premier does not seem to be as stable. Certainly the one I have suffers from more intermittent issues than the two S3 and one THD I have.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
And that is why I'd rather have an S3. Able to share ALL recorded programs from 1 tivo to another.
Or to any device. The ability to archive programs to a server is absolutely essential.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Which in my estimation is huge. The features potentially enabled by this are myriad and some are extremely important, IMO. Indeed, for me it is an absolute deal breaker.

Not at all. The Premier is inferior in a number of ways. First of all, the search functions, by far among the very most important feature set of the TiVo, have been badly gutted. Even if the Premier were hackable, there are at least two search areas that would also be deal breakers. The Premier does not seem to be as stable. Certainly the one I have suffers from more intermittent issues than the two S3 and one THD I have.
+1
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
The S3 is hackable. In every other way my Premiere seems to work better.
I have a S3. How is it "hackable"? Is this referring to both pyTivo and streambaby? I use both with my S3 and they work great. A good addition, but maybe there are more that I am not aware of.

Quote:
Or to any device. The ability to archive programs to a server is absolutely essential.
does this "ability to archive programs to a server" basically mean when a S3 is used in conjunction with TiVo desktop software? I know there is also a certified NETGAR NAS device that can archive programs as needed. Or is there another method to archive programs to a server?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
+1
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a S3. How is it "hackable"?
Via a EEPROM mod. One of the hacks allows the encryption key to be disabled, but we can't talk about the methodology here.

Hackability was the main reason why I chose Tivo over every other DVR that was available prior to the S3. It wasn't always my favorite DVR, but the ability to add features you couldn't get elsewhere was what sold me. Unfortunately, the current models have been rendered inert with respect to any hacking attempts from what I gather, making them not at all attractive to me. The S3 was the last model I purchased and I doubt I'll be buying another.

What's ironic is that most of Tivo's better features were born from the hacking community. Tivo just rolled them into their later OS releases with newer models and then blocked any future attempts at hacking. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
What's ironic is that most of Tivo's better features were born from the hacking community.
Like?

The only one I can think of is adding "support" (the special phone # prefix) for the S1 Ethernet adapters. Speaking of that, do you have details about getting ftp support on a s1? I'd like to use that to get some of the ancient shows off my Tivo, instead of just burning them realtime to a DVD. (I have tried googling, but haven't found any of the specific instructions around anymore.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Like?

The only one I can think of is adding "support" (the special phone # prefix) for the S1 Ethernet adapters. Speaking of that, do you have details about getting ftp support on a s1? I'd like to use that to get some of the ancient shows off my Tivo, instead of just burning them realtime to a DVD. (I have tried googling, but haven't found any of the specific instructions around anymore.)
Hacking let people export recordings from S1s.

TiVo Desktop lets me do it with my S2s without having to do any hacking.

Perhaps enough people did that with S1s, without trying to "steal service" from TiVo itself, that they got the idea it would be a good selling point to be able to do it easily with an S2.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...Speaking of that, do you have details about getting ftp support on a s1? ...
Start here

http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
HerronScott

Quote:
I started there and then installed mfs_ftp on my S1 to get some old shows off. Used mfs_ftp to download the shows as .ty+ format and then tytotivo to convert them.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
There appear to be those of the opinion that the over the air tuners on that model are superior to those on the various Series 4 models.
The XL4 doesn't do OTA so I don't think that will be an issue for the OP.

Another MAJOR advantage to the XL4 compared to the S3 OLED is that it only requires 1 CableCARD to record 4 things. You'd need two S3 units with 4 CableCARDs (and possibly 2 Tuning Adapters) to accomplish the same thing, which would be significantly more expensive in terms of TiVo service fees and CableCARD fees. It's also nice to have all 4 tuners in one box because it limits the amount you have to manage the To Do List to prevent conflicts.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
headless chicken

I decided to keep my S3 afterall. I found the XL4 interface to be slow and hideous, and the only time I would be using all 4 tuners is on Tuesday nights. There are other, legal ways to watch the other shows that I can't Tivo, so I cancelled the Lifetime service on the new unit and shipped the XL4 back. No regrets.

I <3 my Series 3 with its OLED display and sleek black and silver exterior. I'm not giving up my baby ever again, haha.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
I decided to keep my S3 afterall. I found the XL4 interface to be slow and hideous, and the only time I would be using all 4 tuners is on Tuesday nights. There are other, legal ways to watch the other shows that I can't Tivo, so I cancelled the Lifetime service on the new unit and shipped the XL4 back. No regrets.

I <3 my Series 3 with its OLED display and sleek black and silver exterior. I'm not giving up my baby ever again, haha.
I think the original S3 would look good in walnut and gold anodized, like an old Fisher stereo from the 50s/60s.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It is definitely one of a kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
pmiranda

Too late now but you know you can put the new TiVos in the old menu mode, right? My premiere is actually faster than my S3 this way, but I miss animated TiVo Guy when I use it.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote