TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #121
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's my understanding that it will be able to stream from any TiVo but the initial software release will require the user to have a 4 tuner TiVo on their network and be willing to dedicate a tuner from that TiVo to the Mini for live TV even if they don't watch live TV. The future update you mentioned is suppose to make the live tuner allocation dynamic so that it can be setup with any TiVo and not have to pre-allocate the tuner.

Although personally I think TiVo should reconsider the 4 tuner requirement. Even if it means the Mini has to lose the ability to watch live TV when setup without one, or has to do like the Stream and start recording the live buffer for it to work. Requiring dedication of a tuner seems silly and unnecessary.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #122
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's my understanding that it will be able to stream from any TiVo but the initial software release will require the user to have a 4 tuner TiVo on their network and be willing to dedicate a tuner from that TiVo to the Mini for live TV even if they don't watch live TV. The future update you mentioned is suppose to make the live tuner allocation dynamic so that it can be setup with any TiVo and not have to pre-allocate the tuner.

Although personally I think TiVo should reconsider the 4 tuner requirement. Even if it means the Mini has to lose the ability to watch live TV when setup without one, or has to do like the Stream and start recording the live buffer for it to work. Requiring dedication of a tuner seems silly and unnecessary.

Dan
That wasnt the way i understood it. It would be a requirement that a 4 Tuner Tivo on the Network would be required to pass the initial Tuner Lock set up... But the Stream would work as a remote streaming device even if you never set up a tuner
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #123
Dan203
Super Moderator

If that's the case then why would they require a 4 tuner box to be on the network? If there is a way for the Mini to not steal a tuner from the 4 tuner box then why wouldn't you just be able to set it up with 2 tuner box and just skip that step completely?

Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #124
innocentfreak

Quote:
If that's the case then why would they require a 4 tuner box to be on the network? If there is a way for the Mini to not steal a tuner from the 4 tuner box then why wouldn't you just be able to set it up with 2 tuner box and just skip that step completely?

Dan
Part of the guided setup for the mini is probably to pair a tuner since it will be at a TV. They probably don't have a way in the software to release the tuner yet.

I would guess the Stream doesn't go through the same setup since you never use it on a TV. It is probably some type of setup via the app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #125
zubinh

I really would like to order a Premier XL4, a Tivo Stream and two Tivo Minis all at the same time. I wish they would give some color as to what the ETA for the mini is. Frustrating for something that was announced in May.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #126
mahohmei

I currently have a two-tuner Premier in the living room with lifetime service. My bedroom TV is currently being driven by a Comcast DTA, and needless to say, I'd be more than happy to have a TiVo mini on that TV. What I'm interested in here are the technical details. I won't say I want to know when there will be a TiVo mini compatible with a two-tuner Premier, since that's something we'd all like to know. *smile*

Due to physical space constraints and a desire to have the TV mounted flat on the wall without any exposed wiring, I'm going to have to put the TiVo mini in the structured wiring box in the next bedroom.

Doing this isn't the problem: room-to-room IR kits and 25' HDMI cables abound on the Internet.

I'd like to know if the TiVo mini is equipped with built-in "remote use" capabilities--namely, an IR input so an IR receiver can be connected directly to the device without having to use an IR active repeater and emitter. This functionality is built into Comcast's DTAs, as those devices are commonly hidden behind TVs.

Thanks!
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #127
chrislemasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
I'd like to know if the TiVo mini is equipped with built-in "remote use" capabilities--namely, an IR input so an IR receiver can be connected directly to the device without having to use an IR active repeater and emitter. This functionality is built into Comcast's DTAs, as those devices are commonly hidden behind TVs.
Of course, you will likely be able to control it via your network (ala the iOS apps, etc). Then, there is a good chance that it will have a bluetooth option similar to the slider remote (I believe that there was a USB port on the Mini for a dongle). Beyond that, though, I would not expect them to add a new "RF" type technology, or a built-in repeater.

I wonder if there are any dedicated remotes that could take advantage of the "network" control, while still providing IR control for the TV power and volume, etc? Android-based remotes?
chrislemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #128
mahohmei

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislemasters View Post
Of course, you will likely be able to control it via your network (ala the iOS apps, etc). Then, there is a good chance that it will have a bluetooth option similar to the slider remote (I believe that there was a USB port on the Mini for a dongle). Beyond that, though, I would not expect them to add a new "RF" type technology, or a built-in repeater.

I wonder if there are any dedicated remotes that could take advantage of the "network" control, while still providing IR control for the TV power and volume, etc? Android-based remotes?
- Does the slider remote require _both_ IR and Bluetooth, or can the whole thing work only with Bluetooth?

- To use a Bluetooth remote with the TiVo mini, I'd first have to see if the Bluetooth can make it from the master bedroom all the way to the structured wiring box. Worst case, it's 30' in a straight line, and I've gotten my Bluetooth phone headset to work that distance. Worst case, I could hide the Bluetooth dongle behind the TV and extend it to the TiVo mini with a USB active extender.

- I can use (and have used) my Android smartphone (and tablet) as TiVo remotes, but I prefer the hardware remote. The perfect solution would be a wi-fi remote, which, IIRC, Samsung has done on some of their high-end TVs.

Slightly off-topic, dumb question wrt the TiVo Stream: what functionality does that piece of hardware have that the Premier does not? Could a theoretical software update to a Premier allow it to stream off to Android/iOS devices? Is this just a CPU power issue?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #129
jrtroo
User

I suggest you go into the Stream threads for this last question on functionality of that device. There are quite a few posters that mix up these two boxes already. The two separate active threads on each have been great to keep on topic.

To date, Tivo has provided software compatibility with iOS devices prior to Android devices. Premiere boxes cannot do what these add-on boxes do - no support in the box for these functions.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #130
innocentfreak

Quote:
- Does the slider remote require _both_ IR and Bluetooth, or can the whole thing work only with Bluetooth?

- To use a Bluetooth remote with the TiVo mini, I'd first have to see if the Bluetooth can make it from the master bedroom all the way to the structured wiring box. Worst case, it's 30' in a straight line, and I've gotten my Bluetooth phone headset to work that distance. Worst case, I could hide the Bluetooth dongle behind the TV and extend it to the TiVo mini with a USB active extender.

- I can use (and have used) my Android smartphone (and tablet) as TiVo remotes, but I prefer the hardware remote. The perfect solution would be a wi-fi remote, which, IIRC, Samsung has done on some of their high-end TVs.

Slightly off-topic, dumb question wrt the TiVo Stream: what functionality does that piece of hardware have that the Premier does not? Could a theoretical software update to a Premier allow it to stream off to Android/iOS devices? Is this just a CPU power issue?
The Slide does both, but I think the Qwerty keypad might only work over BT.

The Premiere doesn't have the CPU power to transcode the streams. It might in a future model, but no a software update wouldn't enable it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #131
compnurd

Just saw Direct TV is coming out with the C31 which is designed to work with it's HR34 RVU system. It is exactly like the mini, requiring a tuner from the HR34, so on and so forth
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #132
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Just saw Direct TV is coming out with the C31 which is designed to work with it's HR34 RVU system. It is exactly like the mini, requiring a tuner from the HR34, so on and so forth
And only $50?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #133
compnurd

I didnt see the cost. Problem with Direct TV is, it may be 50 bucks, but it just locked you into a new 2 year contract
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #134
farmermac
Super user

So what's the expected release date on the mini? Might me upgrade to a premiere...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #135
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
So what's the expected release date on the mini? Might me upgrade to a premiere...
Fall, 2012. No other details have been posted other than the fact that RCN has a few in their lab so we know the hardware is probably ready.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #136
mahohmei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Fall, 2012. No other details have been posted other than the fact that RCN has a few in their lab so we know the hardware is probably ready.
I'm wanting to know if/when the TiVo mini will work with a Premiere two-tuner.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #137
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
I believe I read that yes it will after an update, but it locks one of the tuners so you can't record 2 things at once while using it.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #138
mahohmei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I believe I read that yes it will after an update, but it locks one of the tuners so you can't record 2 things at once while using it.
I can understand needing one of the tuners to make it available for watching live TV. If the person using the TiVo mini is watching an already-recorded show, will both tuners be available for recording or watching on the TiVo itself?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #139
compnurd

Quote:
I can understand needing one of the tuners to make it available for watching live TV. If the person using the TiVo mini is watching an already-recorded show, will both tuners be available for recording or watching on the TiVo itself?
That remains to be seen if tuner locking is only used when watching Live TV.

I suspect we wont know until someone has one to review
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #140
lessd

Quote:
That remains to be seen if tuner locking is only used when watching Live TV.

I suspect we wont know until someone has one to review
How would the device know if your watching live TV, or it would have to work like the TiVo does now, giving you a warning when it was going to change the channel because of an upcoming recordings that take both channels.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #141
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Yes and no. A 4-tuner Tivo is required for the initial setup until a later software update. But in the meantime, it can stream recorded shows from ANY Premiere on the network. At least, this is the information we had as of May.

Quote:
The point of the future software update (we don't know when it'll happen) is to make it work fully with 2-tuner Tivos and allow dynamic tuner controlling. With that update, if Live TV is not being watched on the Mini, the tuner will be free to use by the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd
How would the device know if your watching live TV, or it would have to work like the TiVo does now, giving you a warning when it was going to change the channel because of an upcoming recordings that take both channels.
Additionally, the Mini reportedly will have some sort of standby mode and/or video output detection.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #142
jcthorne

Quote:
Because the 2 Tuner will support the Mini. Both as a Streaming device and it will allow it to Lock a tuner... Just not at launch
Yes, and the Primere will support a full HD user interface...just not a launch....

DO NOT buy Tivo hardware for features not yet supported. They have a long history of never finishing features promised and sold.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #143
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Exactly. The hardware might be ready to ship, but Tivo's weak point has been the software for a few years now. You can't count on anything to work like it should or like it was promised.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #144
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, and the Primere will support a full HD user interface...just not a launch....

DO NOT buy Tivo hardware for features not yet supported. They have a long history of never finishing features promised and sold.
I will buy whatever I want, for whatever reasons I want
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #145
mattack

Quote:
I will buy whatever I want, for whatever reasons I want
…and you may end up disappointed when the features you expect never show up.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #146
jfh3

Based on a conversation I had with a TiVo sales rep a few days ago, I don't expect to see the Mini until sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #147
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Based on a conversation I had with a TiVo sales rep a few days ago, I don't expect to see the Mini until sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving.
That is the first time I've heard of any date applied to the Mini from a CSR but its consistent with the "Fall Update" that @tivodesign has indicated on twitter.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #148
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think that because of the way the Mini controls a remote TiVo (allows scheduling of shows, etc...) it's probably going to require a software update on the TiVo itself to work. (unless they had a lot of foresight in the last release) If that's the case then the Mini probably wont come out until the Fall Update has been released and most boxes have been updated to it. They don't want a bunch of customers buying it and it not working because their Premiere units aren't running the right software.

Dan
Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #149
sbiller

Quote:
I think that because of the way the Mini controls a remote TiVo (allows scheduling of shows, etc...) it's probably going to require a software update on the TiVo itself to work. (unless they had a lot of foresight in the last release) If that's the case then the Mini probably wont come out until the Fall Update has been released and most boxes have been updated to it. They don't want a bunch of customers buying it and it not working because their Premiere units aren't running the right software.

Dan
Agreed. I'm almost certain the Mini requires new software on the Premiere.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #150
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Agreed. I'm almost certain the Mini requires new software on the Premiere.
+2