TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #571
andyf

Dan, tell me you mean kbps. 200-300Mbps is huge.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #572
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Dan, tell me you mean kbps. 200-300Mbps is huge.
Yeah I meant Kbps.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #573
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
OK I could see that being useful, since the trick play controls in the app are better then those in the standard Apple player. However there is a way to get video from your PC to an iPad already so this is probably not high priority for them.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing them add this functionality to TiVo Desktop. I'd also like to see them add the ability to utilize the Stream when copying shows to a PC. But those are both secondary to the devices original purpose.

Dan
What is trick play control?
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #574
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
What is trick play control?

The ability to scan through the program, 30 second skip, 8 sec rewind.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #575
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

And thats called trick play? hummm I just see a button on the bottom that says 30sec skip
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #576
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
the video was barely even watchable in most of the hotels we stayed at. A ran some speed tests and most of the hotels never went above 200-300kbps down.
That's because

1) They probably don't have that much bandwidth to begin with. Commercial bandwidth is expensive.

2) They are usually providing it over wifi, and that has lots of potential problems with range, interference, bad devices on the network, etc.

3) You are trying to go through more points to get "home". It is not like you are talking to a server much closer to the backbone.

4) You have to share that limited bandwidth with potentially dozens and dozens of other people competing for a limited resource.

5) They could be potentially throttling down hogs, and typically, ANY video user is just that- a bandwidth hog! Video streaming is dozens of times more load than audio streaming which is dozens of times more than just casual web browsing (which is what most of these public networks were designed to handle).

All it takes is a small number of hogs to ruin it for everyone. I don't expect to be able to stream video on a public network at a place like a hotel (not yet anyway). What makes me angry is when just regular text browsing on web sites is miserably slow due to the LACK of decent throttling and traffic management. But that is complex and few places do it.

When it comes to travel video entertainment, I plan ahead and shove stuff onto my tablet or netbook so I KNOW I will be able to watch something.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #577
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

That's because

1) They probably don't have that much bandwidth to begin with. Commercial bandwidth is expensive.

2) They are usually providing it over wifi, and that has lots of potential problems with range, interference, bad devices on the network, etc.

3) You are trying to go through more points to get "home". It is not like you are talking to a server much closer to the backbone.

4) You have to share that limited bandwidth with potentially dozens and dozens of other people competing for a limited resource.

5) They could be potentially throttling down hogs, and typically, ANY video user is just that- a bandwidth hog! Video streaming is dozens of times more load than audio streaming which is dozens of times more than just casual web browsing (which is what most of these public networks were designed to handle).

All it takes is a small number of hogs to ruin it for everyone. I don't expect to be able to stream video on a public network at a place like a hotel (not yet anyway). What makes me angry is when just regular text browsing on web sites is miserably slow due to the LACK of decent throttling and traffic management. But that is complex and few places do it.

When it comes to travel video entertainment, I plan ahead and shove stuff onto my tablet or netbook so I KNOW I will be able to watch something.
I'd agree with all the above, but #1. Bandwidth is dirt cheap, even commercial bandwidth. This isn't the old days where a business rented out a T1 line. Businesses can get Internet from cable companies. That's what mine does with Comcast, who provides ridiculous speeds over fiber (technically it's enterprise service though, not business).

Of note, there are some hotels that are now providing "premium" Internet service for people who want to do things like stream video and the like.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #578
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'd agree with all the above, but #1. Bandwidth is dirt cheap, even commercial bandwidth. This isn't the old days where a business rented out a T1 line. Businesses can get Internet from cable companies. That's what mine does with Comcast, who provides ridiculous speeds over fiber (technically it's enterprise service though, not business).

Of note, there are some hotels that are now providing "premium" Internet service for people who want to do things like stream video and the like.
It sounds like you are just possibly disagreeing with HALF of #1. It is very, very possible the hotel he was using didn't have a lot of bandwidth.

In any case, we have Cox. I have to pay over $600/mo for a paltry 3Mb/s of *quality* (guaranteed, symmetric, fiber) commercial bandwidth at work on the same carrier that I pay $45/mo for 35Mb/s at home... that is 156 times more expensive (Mb per dollar).

If you scratch the "quality" part, above, and just threw in a cable modem, on a commercial account, is $160/mo for 15Mb/s (fastest they even offer)... that is 8.33 times more expensive (833%).

It is all how you look at it. In some ways it is expensive, in others not.

Last edited by crxssi : 09-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #579
aaronwt
HD Addict

If bandwidth is that slow just tether it to a cell phone. Assuming it's unlimited. I've not run into any bandwidth issues at the hotels I've been in. But the WiFi service is typically not free each day and I'm also not in a different city every week like when I was traveling a lot. So I just probably have not run into one with bandwidth issues yet.

The hotel at the federal agency I'm a contractor at has alot of bandwidth. It tested out faster than my old 35/35 FiOS connection, but of course that is the exception. But I have no issues consistently streaming from my Hava HD 10mb/s stream(with the registry hack) when I stay there. At a regular hotel I need to use the normal Hava 1Mb/s or less bitstream when I watch content from home.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the TiVo stream at home with the new Kindle Fire HD. I just hope they come out with the Android app very soon. SInce the 7" Kindle Fire HD is coming out in a week. Hopefully the stream will be at BestBuy soon. Then I can use my reward zone dollars to pay for most of it. Of course I really want the TiVo Mini to come out.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #580
stinastina

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I was able to roll back to the previous version (v1.9.1) to get the app working again on my jailbroken devices. Guess I'll wait and see if the xCon guys can come up with a fix for us.
How did you do that ?
stinastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #581
windracer
joined the 10k club

See my discussion here with True Colors about how to re-install the old version of the .ipa file if you have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #582
aaronwt
HD Addict

So the people that already have the TiVo stream, does TiVo offer any type of extended warranty for it, like they do with the Premieres? Best Buy has the Stream in stock locally now. It shows their two year warranty is $20 and the four year is $25. I was wondering how the TiVo extended warranty compares if they offer one.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #583
rick123

Thanks for the xcon update!

And apologies for my earlier rant. I wasn't aware this was a more widespread issue and had never heard of a legitimate app not working on a jail broken device.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #584
aaronwt
HD Addict

No one has chimed in on the extended warranty yet. Does the Stream show up on your TiVo list with the option to get an extended warranty(like it does with the Premiere), and if it does what are the options and the cost?

Even though it doesn't work with Android yet I might pick one up tomorrow. I was going to meet the GF tomorrow morning to see a movie but those plans have changed. So I might as well go to Best Buy instead and return my Asus EA-N66 Access Point and while I'm there I could go ahead and pick up the stream. The return period should be 60 days like other items so I figure I have nothing to lose. I hate going to the customer service desk at Best Buy but since I'm making a trip it would be the best time to pick one up.

And if I decide to get an extended warranty from Best Buy I'd rather do it when I make the initial purchase, otherwise I need to visit the Customer Service counter again to add it later.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #585
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I dunno if I would bother with a warranty. Other than the fan there is no mechanical parts in this thing. Not much to fail.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #586
Dan203
Super Moderator

$25 for 4 years isn't bad. If that fan goes out that thing is probably going to burn up really quick. (it's hot!) Plus those stupid power bricks have a tendency to go bad after a while and they're not always easy, or cheap, to replace. I'd consider it, but there doesn't seem to be an option for one through TiVo. At least I don't see one listed when I log in to my account.

Dan
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #587
aaronwt
HD Addict

For me the extended warranty is more important for the resale value. When the S5 units come out and I sell my S4 units, the extended warranty adds to the resale value and also makes it sell quicker. Assuming the S5 has streaming built in, then I won't need the TiVo Stream any more.

So it sounds like TiVo doesn't offer an extended warranty on it. And with the initial warranty being only 90 days, I might as well pay the extra for the 4 year warranty from Best Buy.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #588
modnar

Quote:
$25 for 4 years isn't bad. If that fan goes out that thing is probably going to burn up really quick. (it's hot!) Plus those stupid power bricks have a tendency to go bad after a while and they're not always easy, or cheap, to replace. I'd consider it, but there doesn't seem to be an option for one through TiVo. At least I don't see one listed when I log in to my account.

Dan
I noticed mine is typically running around 68 C. It seemed hot to me. Are others seeing similar temps?
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #589
Dan203
Super Moderator

Where do you see the temp? Mine feels hot, but I have no way to test the actual temp unless it's displayed in the app somehwere.

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #590
modnar

Quote:
Where do you see the temp? Mine feels hot, but I have no way to test the actual temp unless it's displayed in the app somehwere.

Dan
It's on the "Full System Information" page that you can get to from the Settings area on the app.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #591
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine is currently 66c

Dan
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #592
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No one has chimed in on the extended warranty yet. Does the Stream show up on your TiVo list with the option to get an extended warranty(like it does with the Premiere), and if it does what are the options and the cost?
Doesn't look like TiVo is offering extended warrenties on the Stream.

Looking at the list of Active TiVo Devices, the Stream does not have any link for 'Add Extended Warrenty' (But the Elite I got from Woot does).
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #593
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

No longer part of the Stream Team I"m shipping mine back. I'm over it and so is the wife. I can just as easy copy a show to an SD card and play on my android tablet if I need to and the TiVo shows on the TiVo will stay on the TiVo for now. Maybe after the android APP comes out and the price point is lower then maybe just maybe I will try it again. Thanks anyway TiVo
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #594
jmpage2

Sorry it did not work out for you but it is great for those of us with iDevices. Queue up a bunch of shows before you head out on a trip, long day, etc, and automagically it's on the device 30-60 minutes later. Sure beats the snot out of doing a bunch of gymnastics with SD media, etc, to accomplish the same thing.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #595
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Sorry it did not work out for you but it is great for those of us with iDevices. Queue up a bunch of shows before you head out on a trip, long day, etc, and automagically it's on the device 30-60 minutes later. Sure beats the snot out of doing a bunch of gymnastics with SD media, etc, to accomplish the same thing.
Oh my mistake it did work great for us and I really like it but I'm waiting for the price point to drop and for the Android APP. And no need for Gymnastics it's same thing on both devices. We have lots of iDevices and in the case of the stream copy a show to the iDevice and play it on the iDevice or copy the show to SD media and play it on my android tablet it's all same Also in my case I can cue up many shows or movies videos of the kids or whatever and take it with as well no hoops and no gymnstics. I have found it faster to move large amounts of data(movies HD format) faster on the SD card. But it's all the same. Cheers!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #596
pbw

My first unit ran 60-68 degrees C (with the fan reported at 0% and up to 50% after booting up). I could never get it to stream for longer than a minute before it basically locked up (would no longer stream but would still respond to the web-based Sys Info; I had to reboot to get it stream again for one whole minute before stopping with a never ending "Buffering" message). Simply pausing the stream would also cause it to lock up.

I thought the high temp might have something to do with it. I bought a second unit today (which works fine) and it's running 55-61 deg C (fan at 0% with one stream). Although the temp is lower, it could easily be due to a difference in room temp. And since other people are reporting temps in the 60's, I think my first Stream was just a bum unit.
pbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #597
rick123

Xcon rev 37 resolves the jailbreak issue. Some really smart people out there. Might not be on Cydia yet but you can find discussion/link on github.com

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #598
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hurrah!!!!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #599
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Doesn't look like TiVo is offering extended warrenties on the Stream.

Looking at the list of Active TiVo Devices, the Stream does not have any link for 'Add Extended Warrenty' (But the Elite I got from Woot does).
It is probably worth checking if SquareTrade offers something. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from TiVo without an extended warranty after getting burned with the slide remotes.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #600
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
Xcon rev 37 resolves the jailbreak issue.
Worked on my iPhone (xCon 37~beta7) with the 2.0.1 TiVo app. Going to update my iPad now.

edit: back up and running on the iPad as well. Awesome.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote