TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Pine Cladding
Large member (Ooer!)

Thumbs up iPad app in October with streaming!

Or so it says here

Virgin TiVo installed 19th Feb!!
TiVo S1 (In the Loft) with Cachecard 2.2, 512mb, TiVoWeb
Pine Cladding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
steveroe
Must do some work...

<gently points to Virgin Forum>
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
alextegg
Tall Member

Great, we move out of my house into rented at the end of September, giving back my Virgin TiVo - doh!

Never imagined it would take this long and that's spectacular timing

AT least I got several months of use out of the iPad app before then.

And the one downside of our destination (emigration to Aus) is they seem more behind than us where TiVo stuff is concerned

Ah well, will just have to watch less TV and enjoy the weather !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Brand new lovely VM TiVo from 18/02/2011 :)
alextegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

It's not that bad!

We've got lifetime subscription included in the price & remote scheduling. That works very well.

We've also got access to the TiVo networking package which comes in handy, and it's HD. It could be a lot worse!

BTW, the website lists loads of places to buy them. I've only ever seen them in Harvey Normans.

Where in Oz are you moving to?

ˇɥɐɹɹnɥ ˙oʌıʇ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɥʇıʍ ʍou
kitschcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
alextegg
Tall Member

We're heading to Perth. I was told no one in Oz was distributing them any more but haven't confirmed it.

Is it a DVB-T only solution or are there cable and satellite options?

Single HD tuner or better?

Will have to do some research when we get there but I was told be an Oz TiVo Owner that there was no live distributor and there were (sacrilege!) better non TiVo alternatives in Oz

and

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Old 09-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Yeah, they're still available and in stock. Harvey Norman still had them at lunch when I went past. $699 at the moment for a 1TB twin tuner Freeview model. There isn't a satellite or cable version.

Satellite has basically the Sky+ we know and hate at a massively expensive price.

ˇɥɐɹɹnɥ ˙oʌıʇ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɥʇıʍ ʍou
kitschcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
alextegg
Tall Member

OK so presumably like Freeview here, good for normal TV but no option for HD paid sports or movie channels - will have to take a look when I get there but I'm going to want northern hemisphere rugby for starters so looks like I might have to go Sky

Will be ironic given I've managed to avoid it all my TV life in the UK

and

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
dialanothernumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextegg View Post
OK so presumably like Freeview here, good for normal TV but no option for HD paid sports or movie channels - will have to take a look when I get there but I'm going to want northern hemisphere rugby for starters so looks like I might have to go Sky

Will be ironic given I've managed to avoid it all my TV life in the UK
It's not ideal but you could use unblock-us.com on PC to access UK TV. Certainly BBC iPlayer, ITV and 4OD. I live in the US and have had it working on the Sky internet player service which you can sign up for monthly (i.e. during the rugby season)
I have used unblock-us for several months now. It involves setting your DNS servers at either PC level or router level and paying a sub of US$4.99 per month. Nice thing is, unlike ex-pat VPN services, it is not limited by bandwith of the VPN, only of your own ISP. Consequently I have very rarely encountered any swirly "please wait" logos.

Being able to watch Have I got News For You weekly has kept us sane during this interminable US Election campaign. Nearly as funny as Fox News...

Have fun in Oz