TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
mv208

MoCA TiVo Elite not showing up on TiVo Transfer (Mac, FIOS)

Okay, I searched all of the "related" topics and didn't see this one so I apologize if I'm asking a question that's already been covered. I just read this morning that Verizon FIOS is already enabled for MoCA so I decided to try and switch my TiVo Premiere Elite over to MoCA and was totally surprised that it worked and is super fast at transferring from my TiVo HD. Score!

Here's the downside. My MAC totally disappeared from the Now Playing list on the TiVo Premiere and when I look at TiVo Transfer (from Toast 10) on the MAC, only the TiVo HD shows up (not the Premiere Elite).

Does anyone know if there is some setting I need to change on my computer, the TiVo or anything else I might need?

Update: I checked my HD TiVo (series 3) and it can't see the TiVo Elite either. Weird, because the Elite sees the HD TiVo. So basically, nothing can see the TiVo Elite since I switched it to MoCA. Any suggestions?

Bonus question, to enable MoCA on my TiVo HD, would I still need an adapter or because FIOS is MoCA enabled, should it just work? (I checked this myself and it didn't prompt me to switch to MoCA when I went to change network settings, so I'm guessing I need an adapter)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mv208 : 09-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.
mv208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
mv208

Just some additional info for anyone brave enough to tackle my scenario!

Been thinking about this more, and unfortunately I'm at work and can't check my setup right now. The wifi on my verizon router is actually disabled and instead I have it hooked into an Apple Airport Extreme to use the wireless N capabilities. I think I'm reading there is a MoCA output on the fios router. So, maybe I need to switch something up there to get it hooked into my wifi network?

Just grasping at straws here!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
news4me2

Common Troubleshooting Tips for Streaming or Transferring between TiVo's-

1. Log into your Tivo.com account (http://www.tivo.com/manage) and view your DVR Preferences option. Verify that there is a checkmark in the Video Transfers column next to each TiVo box that you would like to share programs.

2. Verify that the TiVo boxes are connected to your home network on the same subnet. (Most home networks only have one subnet.) It may take up to five minutes for a box to show up on the My Shows or the Now Playing List of another box after any network changes are made.

3. If the name of one of your TiVo boxes includes special characters, the ability to use Multi-Room Streaming can be affected. It is recommended that you rename the TiVo box, removing any special characters. To change the name of your box, see: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52

4. When adding a new TiVo box to your account, it can take up to 72 hours for your account to update with this information. If it has been more than 72 hours and you are still encountering problems, please contact TiVo Customer Support.

Streaming Help Page from TiVo Support: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...1986/kw/stream
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
mv208

Thanks for the common tips, news4me2! I actually have seen these tips too and have double checked all of this stuff. Still having the issue. I was actually having issues long before switching to McOA. I had TiVo wireless-n adapters on my 2 TiVos (using the ethernet port). Both boxes showed up on each box, but when I'd click on them it would say there were no shows available. I just chalked it up to some bug between the TiVo Premiere and TiVo Series 3 communications. Once I switched to MCoA on the Premiere, the Series 3 showed up and all of the shows showed up so I thought I was in the clear. But then my computer disappeared and the Premiere disappeared on the Series 3.

So, I don't think it's an issue with any of these settings, but I'll double check again.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv208 View Post
Bonus question, to enable MoCA on my TiVo HD, would I still need an adapter or because FIOS is MoCA enabled, should it just work?
The TiVo HD doesn't have built-in MoCA so you would need a separate adapter (MoCA bridge). The coax from the wall would go into the adapter, and then from the adapter to the TiVo, along with the network cable from the adapter to the TiVo.

What are the IP addresses of your Mac and the TiVos? Is it possible they are now on different subnets? Because that would prevent them from seeing each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
mv208

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The TiVo HD doesn't have built-in MoCA so you would need a separate adapter (MoCA bridge). The coax from the wall would go into the adapter, and then from the adapter to the TiVo, along with the network cable from the adapter to the TiVo.

What are the IP addresses of your Mac and the TiVos? Is it possible they are now on different subnets? Because that would prevent them from seeing each other.
Thanks wind racer. Checked my subnets. They're all the same: 255.255.255.0
ip addresses are 192.168.1.16 TiVo HD and 192.168.1.19 Elite.

I was chatting with TiVo support for an hour and they couldn't figure it out either. They told me to try and make sure all the right ports are open on the router and keep resetting all devices even a few times. So weird this stuff won't work right!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

TiVo uses Bonjour to discover other devices on the network. Poke around and make sure multicast is enabled on the MoCA side of your router. If the router isn't passing multicast packets over the coax, that could explain why the TiVos and Mac software can't "see" each other.

|
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I can't see my Premiere Elite on the Mac TiVo Transfer program. It is connected via MoCA. Here's the odd thing: I have a TiVo HD hanging off the Elite's ethernet port (sharing the MoCA connection) and it shows up fine. All of my TiVo boxes (MoCA and ethernet) see each other fine for MRV.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
mv208

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
TiVo uses Bonjour to discover other devices on the network. Poke around and make sure multicast is enabled on the MoCA side of your router. If the router isn't passing multicast packets over the coax, that could explain why the TiVos and Mac software can't "see" each other.
Thanks again for the tips. I checked on my FIOS router (which I'm only using for internet, not wifi) and multicast is enabled. Of course, Apple has dumbed down airport utility (I'm using the Airport Extreme for wifi) and the Multicast "rate" option has been taken away. There's no way to download an older version of airport utility on the Mountain Lion OS. But, there is no option to enable/disable Multicast on Airport anyway, it was only changing the rate from low, medium, high. So, I don't know if this is the issue or not!

Arcady, definitely an interesting setup! I wish I could set mine up that way, but I have 2 floors separating the 2 TiVos! (basement/bedroom) I'd say the distance might be the issue, but the Premiere is receiving HD TiVo files just fine and the computer (also in the basement) still can't see the Premiere (basement).
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
scole250

Could the Tivo HD and MAC still have the old IP address cached? If so, perhaps a reboot on those devices, including the router, might make them grab the new Premiere IP address?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
mv208

@Scole, I guess anything is possible and that would seem the most likely. But, unfortunately I have reset both tivo boxes multiple times. I've reset my Mac, I've reset the router and nothing is changing. It's just not liking something.

I keep thinking it might have something to do with my Verizon router to Apple Airport Extreme router setup. That scenario seems more unique than anything else I'm doing. It might explain why I was having MRV issues even before switching to MoCA too. The only problem is, I have no idea what would need to be adjusted if that was the issue. I have my airport extreme setup as a wifi BRIDGE and the verizon router has wifi disabled and receives the cable internet and handles all of the port forwarding and all of that fun stuff. Seems in theory it all should still work, so I don't know where the issue is.

And I guess I should add that all of my mobile devices, ps3, wii (collecting dust these days) and even the TiVo HD all are connected to the network and visible just fine. So the only thing that's really missing is the TiVo Premiere, which oddly enough can see the TiVo HD and handle transfers from it. Actually, when I look at the devices connected in my verizon router settings, I see the TiVo Premiere IP address in the mix there. So, I'm not sure where it's falling out.

Sorry for rambling. Just adding info as I think of it.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
ggieseke

Doesn't FIOS use Actiontec routers? I read elsewhere that disabling IGMP might help.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
mv208

I believe it is actiontec. Windracer (above) mentioned that I should make sure multicast is enabled which I believe is related to IGMP, based on what I'm seeing on the router screens. But, when I get home I'll try disabling it and seeing what happens. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
scole250

You say the Airport Extreme setup as bridge. Is it just an access point or is it really a bridge? If bridge, what are you bridging to? FiOS wireless is disabled, right?

Lots of post on web about multicast issues with actintec routers. Guess it depends on what model it is. Is the Airport Extreme a router too? If so, plug all your wired devices into it, then plug the Airport WAN port into a FiOS port and just use the AE as your main switch and gateway.

Or read...Tivo Support Forum-TiVo Desktop and Wired vs. Wireless TiVo Connections on FiOS Router

Last edited by scole250 : 09-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
mv208

Thanks I'll give it a shot. The ae is the router I'm using for wifi in the house. When I looked at my settings it said it was set up as a bridge. The whole reason I have the setup was to get wireless n in the house which the fios routers didn't have at the time that I got it. I'll see if your suggestions help out. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
scole250

Using your AE as the gateway isn't going to work. Connecting the AE WAN port to the FiOS wired switch port is going to require that you change the IP address of either the FiOS LAN network network or the AE LAN/wireless network. They can't be the same. Your FiOS router has the MoCA interface. If you connect them like I suggested, the MoCA will be on the IP network of the FiOS router and the devices connected to the AE will be on a different IP network. Won't work. Hope you haven't changed it yet.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, this is kinda what I was getting at when I originally asked about the different subnets. If you have two routers in the mix they are usually on different subnets and the Bonjour/multicast protocol won't cross subnets so your TiVos won't see each other. Sounds like you've got a little network re-org to figure out.

|
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
mv208

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll see what I can figure out!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
mv208

Well, I'm sure there's a way to make it all work but it's way too complicated for me to figure out. I switched the TiVo premiere back to the wireless N adapter. The good thing is that the TiVos and computer all see each other now and the shows are actually showing up each of the TiVos and can be transferred (improvement over my issues before). It's just a lot slower than that MoCA connection was. But, I guess I really won't need that connection until I may decide to get TiVo Stream or the "Mini" TiVo in the works. Maybe I'll have been able to figure out my network by then!

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
alexcampbellonli

It is solved (for me anyway)

For what it's worth... I have just gone through the change of connecting two Tivo XL4s to my Verizon Fios Actiontec modem/router (I say it that way because even Tivo hasn't gotten around to identifying that some people have the "combo" rather than a modem and a router separately and the instructions on the Moca adapter were confusing for that reason). In my efforts, I read that the Actiontec equipment has Moca built in. So, I am using the Actiontec Moca and two XL4s, as well as one Tivo Premiere that is connect by Ethernet and one that's connect by Wifi. Once I enabled all this, I noticed that Tivo Transfer (MAC) wasn't seeing the two XL4s that were connect via Moca. So, I started searching and reading and trying to figure it all out. Based on mv208's post above, I found IMGP in my Verizon router settings and disabled it... Voila - Tivo Transfer is happy and I am too.

To get to the IMGP setting, if you're using Verizon Fios Actiontec router... Open your Verizon FiOS Information panel (provided by Verizon) and click on My Router. Click the URL for your router (usually http: // 192.168.1.1 ... ) and log in. Click on the Advanced icon in the top bar (between Parental Control and System Monitoring). Click Yes (do you wish to proceed). Find the item "IGMP Proxy" and click on it. Change it to DISABLED (just the top-most Enable/Disable item). Click Apply. Wait 1-2 minutes and check Tivo Transfer. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Thank you ALL for the collaboration here! So great that we can all work together to solve the problems of the software world (and fix the mistakes of our most trusted technologies!).
alexcampbellonli is offline   Reply With Quote