Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #541
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Frankly I hate my sling-box. The quality is garbage, I have tons of problems reliably connecting when on wifi in places like hotels and coffee bars... but unfortunately Sling is the only game in town for place-shifting right now.

Sling has gone totally downhill since Echostar/Dish bought them out.
I'd have to agree somewhat. I think the video quality is fine with my Slingbox HD Pro and my iPad, but the audio is nearly always out of sync and the right and left audio channels are also out of sync with each other. That's just the iPad app. It's fine on a laptop.

I have an upload bandwidth of 10 Mbps.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #542
NYHeel

Quote:
Good luck with that. One the VPN will have to do a few things like proxy bonjour/broadcast messages between the iPad and the other TiVo equipment. Two, you will need a LOT of upload bandwidth and if your provider has a cap it won't take long to chew through it at 1GB per hour of HD material.
I have 25 Mb upload with Fios. It would be nice if Tivo allowed you to turn on out of network streaming with the appropriate caveats or warning messages. With 4g coming on the iphone soon the download speeds should be sufficient and my upload speed at 25 Mb should be more than enough.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #543
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Frankly I hate my sling-box. The quality is garbage, I have tons of problems reliably connecting when on wifi in places like hotels and coffee bars... but unfortunately Sling is the only game in town for place-shifting right now.

Sling has gone totally downhill since Echostar/Dish bought them out.
What about the Vulkano? I use the Hava HD Platinum which is the model prior to the Vulkano and I have no issues connecting to it over my cell phone, Kindle Fire, and laptops over WiFi at hotels and other locations. Plus no audio sync issues.

I'm on the FiOS 150/65 tier. But I also had no issues when I was on the 35/35 tier.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #544
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see Amazon announced the new Kindle Fire models. Now I really hope TiVo gets an app out for android soon for the Stream. I plan on replacing my old 7" Fire with the new 7" version and also getting one of the new 8.9" ones. So it would be nice to have the stream working with them.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #545
DaveWhittle

I just ordered one today, and have a question - what type of AC plug does it use?

I have one open slot on a power strip, and a wall-wart won't fit. I watched an unboxing on YouTube, but he never took the power adaptor out of the wrapping.

Last edited by DaveWhittle : 09-06-2012 at 10:45 PM.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #546
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
My upload speed is over 5mbps. The issue is that many guest networks at hotels and the like are strictly throttled. They will often burst up to a higher speed and then throttle the speed down intermittently, which plays hell with a realtime video feed from a Slingbox resulting in massive buffering.
On public networks, people hog all the bandwidth with stuff like.... oh, STREAMING VIDEO (or downloading huge crap. What crap? Typically video). You can have a network that serves many dozens of typical web site viewing users without a hitch. Throw several video streamers on there and it not only makes it impossible to stream video for anyone, but it ruins even the web browsing experience for everyone NOT hogging bandwidth.

I personally welcome properly configured throttling to punish those who would ruin it for everyone.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #547
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhittle View Post
I just ordered one today, and have a question - what type of AC plug does it use?

I have one open slot on a power strip, and a wall-wart won't fit. I watched an unboxing on YouTube, but he never took the power adaptor out of the wrapping.
Wall wart. It's fairly narrow, about as wide as a regular two prong plug, but about 3" long.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #548
HugheJass

Quote:

If you have to worry about the space on your power strip, I'd go pick up one of those short "extension cords" that are made for just this purpose. Most electronics or office supply stores will have them.
HugheJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #549
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugheJass View Post
If you have to worry about the space on your power strip, I'd go pick up one of those short "extension cords" that are made for just this purpose. Most electronics or office supply stores will have them.
Yeah, like these. I have a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT12125.../dp/B000EWVSZK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #550
DaveWhittle

Cool, thanks for the info and suggestion! Windracer - thanks for the link, I just ordered a set of those - should come in handy.

I was really on the fence about the Stream device, but after I ordered it, the more I think about it the more I'm excited to get it. I know there's a lot of Android users that are frustrated, and the lack of internet streaming seems limiting - albeit I'm sure that's not a TiVo decision. But knowing the limitations going in, I can see this feature being very useful in my household.

Our 2 person, 2-story household only has one TV hooked up to cable via the TiVo Premiere, yet each person has an iPad. Being able to watch TiVo Live or recorded shows from any room in the house really makes sense for us. The bedroom, breakfast nook, upstairs studio, kitchen, maybe even the backyard can all have TiVo now!

There seems to be a lot of people asking "who needs this transcoding device?" Well... me, for one.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #551
compnurd

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info and suggestion! Windracer - thanks for the link, I just ordered a set of those - should come in handy.

I was really on the fence about the Stream device, but after I ordered it, the more I think about it the more I'm excited to get it. I know there's a lot of Android users that are frustrated, and the lack of internet streaming seems limiting - albeit I'm sure that's not a TiVo decision. But knowing the limitations going in, I can see this feature being very useful in my household.

Our 2 person, 2-story household only has one TV hooked up to cable via the TiVo Premiere, yet each person has an iPad. Being able to watch TiVo Live or recorded shows from any room in the house really makes sense for us. The bedroom, breakfast nook, upstairs studio, kitchen, maybe even the backyard can all have TiVo now!

There seems to be a lot of people asking "who needs this transcoding device?" Well... me, for one.
Just to be Clear.. You can not watch Live TV on the Stream.. you can watch as it is being recorded
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #552
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Just to be Clear.. You can not watch Live TV on the Stream.. you can watch as it is being recorded
My understanding is, using the iPad TiVo app, I will be able to look at the current guide data, click on a show, and select "watch on iPad" - as long as one of the TiVo's tuner is available.

Is this correct? Or do I select "record this show" and then "watch this on iPad"?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #553
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
My understanding is, using the iPad TiVo app, I will be able to look at the current guide data, click on a show, and select "watch on iPad" - as long as one of the TiVo's tuner is available.

Is this correct?
Yes. But so is compnurd.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #554
cherry ghost

Quote:

Is this correct? Or do I select "record this show" and then "watch this on iPad"?

I believe that "watch on iPad" will start a recording, which then lets you watch on the iPad. Pretty sure I read that in another thread.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #555
eziemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Here are some cheaper alternatives (ouch! $18 for 5 cables!):

1 ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
2 ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
eziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #556
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziemann View Post
Here are some cheaper alternatives (ouch! $18 for 5 cables!)
Shoot ... I always forget about monoprice. Sorry for the Amazon link!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #557
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
These work even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT12125...h+pass+through

Since they have a pass through for power.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #558
eziemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
These work even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT12125...h+pass+through

Since they have a pass through for power.
Hadn't seen those before--Now those might be worth $19 for 5.
eziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #559
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Heh, that doesn't work with the Brighthouse streaming app since in addition to jailbreak it also checks for VPN!
TWCableTV's app checks for VPN too, but there are a few tweaks out there that have managed to circumvent it. FakeTimeWarner was one. 3G Unrestrictor did too -- you may want to try it (in conjunction with xCon.)

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #560
spaldingclan

I got a tweet back from the Xcon developer that he's working on updating the app to fix the Tivo app
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #561
csgraber

I just ordered the stream. Pretty much got a Premiere because of that. . and Tivo treated me pretty nicely there (good price, no change to my subscription etc). of course I've been Tivoing for about 10years. . .I'm old school.

I will def. keep an eye on this board. What I really want is to used my hacked Android 4g Phone to setup a hotspot for my ipad. . .or if I'm at starbucks or something . .and be able to watch shows.

The biggest downside is this non-background downloading crap. I find that pretty weak.
csgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #562
ronaldheft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I believe that "watch on iPad" will start a recording, which then lets you watch on the iPad. Pretty sure I read that in another thread.
That's exactly how it works. The only "annoying" thing about that setup is it starts you at the beginning of the recording, so you might have to fast forward up to live TV depending on if the tuner was already on that channel.
ronaldheft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #563
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgraber View Post
The biggest downside is this non-background downloading crap. I find that pretty weak.
That's an iOS thing. Apple will only let you continue a background download for 10 minutes. Apple is very specific about what types of things can run longer than 10 minutes in a background thread, the Tivo app doesn't meet the criteria.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Android version has background downloads.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #564
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
That's an iOS thing. Apple will only let you continue a background download for 10 minutes. Apple is very specific about what types of things can run longer than 10 minutes in a background thread, the Tivo app doesn't meet the criteria.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Android version has background downloads.
Of course if the App recognized synced .TiVo videos, they could just add support for TiVo Desktop and no one would have to worry about background downloads. Also it would be faster since it would be a pure wired connection if using a desktop/

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #565
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Of course if the App recognized synced .TiVo videos, they could just add support for TiVo Desktop and no one would have to worry about background downloads. Also it would be faster since it would be a pure wired connection if using a desktop/
I don't understand this comment. The App can't just play .tivo files directly. Those are all MPEG-2 and the iPad doesn't have hardware to decode MPEG-2. The whole purpose of the Stream is to recode the MPEG-2 stream to H.264 so the iPad can decode it using it's built in hardware decoder.

Now if you mean utilizing a PC to do the recoding, rather then a dedicated box, you'd be surprised at how poorly that would work. Even the fastest x86 CPU can barely recode 1 HD stream in real time, let alone 4 at the same time. And most lower end or older PCs couldn't even do one. It would be a support nightmare. There are some thing that dedicated chips and do remarkably better then a PC, and video recoding is one of them.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #566
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't understand this comment. The App can't just play .tivo files directly. Those are all MPEG-2 and the iPad doesn't have hardware to decode MPEG-2. The whole purpose of the Stream is to recode the MPEG-2 stream to H.264 so the iPad can decode it using it's built in hardware decoder.

Now if you mean utilizing a PC to do the recoding, rather then a dedicated box, you'd be surprised at how poorly that would work. Even the fastest x86 CPU can barely recode 1 HD stream in real time, let alone 4 at the same time. And most lower end or older PCs couldn't even do one. It would be a support nightmare. There are some thing that dedicated chips and do remarkably better then a PC, and video recoding is one of them.

Dan
The problem I have heard is there is no way currently to add or remove videos to the TiVo app except via the Stream. For example if you download shows via the Stream to the iPad, you can't copy those same copy freely videos off the IOS device. Along those same lines, you can't copy over H.264 videos to play via the TiVo app.

This functionality would be needed in addition to the TiVo Desktop access for transfers.

Sorry this is what I get for posting at work.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #567
compnurd

Quote:
The problem I have heard is there is no way currently to add or remove videos to the TiVo app except via the Stream. For example if you download shows via the Stream to the iPad, you can't copy those same copy freely videos off the IOS device. Along those same lines, you can't copy over H.264 videos to play via the TiVo app.

This functionality would be needed in addition to the TiVo Desktop access for transfers.

Sorry this is what I get for posting at work.
I dont think the point was for the programs to ever be watched outside the Tivo App
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #568
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
On public networks, people hog all the bandwidth with stuff like.... oh, STREAMING VIDEO (or downloading huge crap. What crap? Typically video). You can have a network that serves many dozens of typical web site viewing users without a hitch. Throw several video streamers on there and it not only makes it impossible to stream video for anyone, but it ruins even the web browsing experience for everyone NOT hogging bandwidth.

I personally welcome properly configured throttling to punish those who would ruin it for everyone.
Well, I review network designs for video, so I'm quite familiar with throttling, QoS queues, etc.

I'm not sure precisely what the issue is with hotel/guest networks in general I just know that they do a very poor job with my Slingbox.

There's no reason you should not be able to get a reasonably good quality 720P video/audio transmission going at a measly 1mb/s but Sling can't seem to pull that off particularly well.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #569
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Along those same lines, you can't copy over H.264 videos to play via the TiVo app.
OK I could see that being useful, since the trick play controls in the app are better then those in the standard Apple player. However there is a way to get video from your PC to an iPad already so this is probably not high priority for them.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing them add this functionality to TiVo Desktop. I'd also like to see them add the ability to utilize the Stream when copying shows to a PC. But those are both secondary to the devices original purpose.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #570
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
There's no reason you should not be able to get a reasonably good quality 720P video/audio transmission going at a measly 1mb/s but Sling can't seem to pull that off particularly well.
I agree. I bought the SlingBox a few years ago right before we went on a 2 1/2 week trip up the East coast. The idea was that we could continue to watch some of our "must see" shows in the Hotels at night time. However even though we had a 3Mbps up speed at home, the video was barely even watchable in most of the hotels we stayed at. A ran some speed tests and most of the hotels never went above 200-300Mbps down. Since then I've only used it a few times while traveling and it was OK but when I bought my iPad last year I thought I finally had a use for it... streaming to the iPad inside my home. Unfortunately after paying $30 for the app I discovered my SlingBox was broken and it's some very common problem because they use sh*tty capacitors. I briefly considered getting another one, but then TiVo showed off the Stream at CES and I decided to wait for it instead. I'm glad I did because the experience is way better then the Slingbox for local network streaming.

Dan