TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
cwnelson

Help With Multiple New Issues After I moved to a New State

I just moved to North Carolina from Louisiana and the only cable company here is Time Warner. I have a Tivo Premiere that's about 2 years old. i was not pleased with my old cable company, because the tuning adapter didn't always do right but usually it worked, especially the last year or so. I moved and lo and behold the tuning adapter does not pick up certain HD stations such as CBS and ESPN2, which are stations I tend to watch and record a lot in HD. If you unplugged the adapter, you could get the CBS in HD; I was out of luck with ESPN2. Today I noticed that CBS HD with the adapter off was having a problem with the signal and I could not get the channel. So I plugged the adapter back in and poof, the HD CBS channel came through perfectly while the adapter was booting up. THis went on about 5 minutes until it booted and the Tivo recognized the device, at which time it stopped receiving the channel. I also was able to record the 5 minutes as an experiment. This tells me there is some way I should get the channel using the adapter and that its not a problem with the cablecard.

Here'e the kicker: TW says that the lack of channels is an issue with the Tivo, and that it needs an update that Tivo has yet to provide. Tivo says it's TW who needs to make sure their cablecards and tuning adapters receive all channels, which they are not. I am inclined to side with Tivo on this because my last crappy cable company at least got all channels, and when I had a problem getting channels they came and fixed the problem and it worked. So I don't know what to do; I refuse to give up on my tivo box and give TW any more money for their own inferior box because of their own incompatibility issues. But My viewing experience at this time is seriously downgraded since I moved.

Now another issue. Time Warner is famous for its policies on copy Protection which keeps me from transferring the vast majority of any programs I want to move to my computer or between tivos (if I reactivated my old one). This is a MAJOR highlight of why I get Tivo. The easy solution is to just dump TW but we live in the middle of nowhere and I have no other options; I hope we get FiOS but unfortunately I am miles from anywhere it's available. I thought about the new Directv box but from what I can tell you can't download to your computer; I have read that it doesn't work with Tivo to go and not sure about kmttg. So that might not be the way to go.

Folks, am I just screwed? Aside from hardware tampering which I don't feel savvy enough to attempt, can I get the protected stuff that my old company did not copy protect onto my computer with capture hardware and software? And what does anyone think about the tuning adapter and cable card issues? Is it the cable company or Tivo, or does it matter? It looks to me like an obvious case of the company wanting you to use their equipment and penalizing you for not using it. They already told me that my cable modem which I own would not work with their internet, which I knew was not true, and when I called them on it, they backed down. So they have already been untruthful. Any advice would be of the greatest help.

thanks,

cwn
cwnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

As a fellow TWC subscriber, you have my condolences.

Regarding copy protection, basically you're screwed. Series 3 TiVo's can be hacked to get around it but so far there is no hack for the Premiere.

Suggest you add a more precise location in your profile so it shows up on each post. There are several very helpful TWC subscribers in the Raleigh-Durham area and they post most frequently in the TWC-specific threads in the Series 3 sub-forum. In general, I don't buy TWC's claim it's the TiVo's fault. There are so many ways cable cos can botch the signals they send to Tuning Adapters -- and frequently have done so.

Have you contacted TWC's national cable card support desk (NCCS)? The phone is 866-532-2598 and they keep long hours. You're not supposed to call them until after trying local support. Also there is the TWC CableCARD self-install (national) phone: 866-606-5889

Also: I assume your TA is a unit furnished in NC, correct? Request a replacement if nothing else works -- same for the CableCARD.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 09-06-2012 at 05:53 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
cwnelson

Thanks, dlfl. I chatted with a TWC person today and he resent the signal to the tuning adapter and the same issue. I still got only the CBS in HD while the adapter was booting. Then it went black when the box recognized it. He told me to get a new TA and I'll also take the cablecard in as well. Hopefully I can do this tomorrow.

I have also updated my profile as you suggested.

Too bad, I was excited that I was getting rid of my old company. TW is a lot less expensive and you can watch on mobile devices which with the old company I couldn't do. But not receiving the channels and the copy protection issue is just ridiculous.

The tech guy they sent out last was apparently their best person, and he still couldn't get this thing working right. So maybe a Tivo update would do the job, but since I got all channels on the old TA and Cablecard, Ii still think TWC could fix the issue if they really wanted to.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
scole250

Have them send a tech to make sure the signal and noise levels are within spec. If not, it's going to be problematic. Not a Tivo thing, it's a SDV issue. TWC's boxes don't work worth a squat either if the signal is bad or too much noise.

Might also be a corrupt channel guide, which I suggest a clear and delete, then start over. Drastic I know. Maybe wait on that option to see if it can be resolved another way.

Last edited by scole250 : 09-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
cwnelson

Just as a follow-up, we replaced the cablecard and TA (just went and picked up new ones). New TA was defective and never worked properly but guess what? Two of the 5 or 6 HD channels I received were the ones I was not receiving before! But alas, most other channels in standard or HD were not working. So tech came out this morning and we thought he had it fixed. New adapter. We thought we had it fixed; all channels came in. Then while we were talking, the screen came up that says "a tuning adapter has been connected..." after which the same channels were missing. Right back where i started. Dude was stumped. The only thing he could think of is that it's something in the box. Chatted with Tivo support and they said they agree that it's probably the Premiere box and that he could authorize an exchange and I could get a new box.

Problem is that I will have to move everything off the tivo and i dont have a lot of space, and then there's the copy protection issue. He said that I could do an advanced exchange and move my shows onto the new box. He said that most copy protection will allow box to box transfer. But from what I have read on here, Time Warner does not even allow a box to box transfer.

I could just lose what's on the box, but I have a special needs child who would be very unhappy if he lost his shows. Most are from before we moved but some are not. I would hate to lose his programs because of stupidness like this. And I have some stuff that I'd like to keep as well.

So I am now not sure what to do. Any advice? it appears that the customer here has limited options due to bureaucratic nonsense and lack of customer care. In which case it'll be a losing battle. Also I'm not absolutely convinced that this would fix the problem anyway. I suppose I could get the new box and set it up, and see what happens. if I get all the channels then I could decide whether to lose my programs or not.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
celtic pride

If i was you i would try a new tivo box and transfer the shows you want to kee to the new tivo box. Hopefully that will solve your problem,I think its worth a try.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TWC's copy protection will NOT let you transfer copies of videos to ANYTHING else, either PC or another TiVo. I don't have a Premiere but my understanding is that copy protected videos CAN be streamed between two Premieres. However I believe this only allows you to VIEW the video on the destination TiVo while streaming , i.e., no permanent copy is created. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
scole250

If the Tivo is the problem, chances are its the tuner or hardware other than the disk drive. Could the old Tivo disk be put in the new Tivo, if they were the same model? It's pretty easy.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
TWC's copy protection will NOT let you transfer copies of videos to ANYTHING else, either PC or another TiVo. I don't have a Premiere but my understanding is that copy protected videos CAN be streamed between two Premieres. However I believe this only allows you to VIEW the video on the destination TiVo while streaming , i.e., no permanent copy is created. Someone correct me if this is wrong.
You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
If the Tivo is the problem, chances are its the tuner or hardware other than the disk drive. Could the old Tivo disk be put in the new Tivo, if they were the same model? It's pretty easy.
You will loose all settings and recordings if you do that. They are tied to the specific TiVo. IOW, it would be a complete waste of time.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote