TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #511
chrislemasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
Has anyone compared Tivo Stream and play-back performance on older iPad gen1 vs newer iPads? Tivo Desktop plus conversion files play fine on a iPad gen1, but I don't think that means much since the Tivo App is doing the playback.
I have (gen1 vs gen3). No difference to my eyes. Hope that helps!
chrislemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #512
chrislemasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I have not noticed any artifacts... I transfered a full HD movie in best quality (~2GB), a 1 hour HD television show in best quality (~1GB) and a 1 hour HD television show in standard quality (~650k)

I cannot personally tell the difference between the best quality and the standard quality on my iPad2. The video quality is fantastic.
This had been my experience, too, with the downloaded programs (on both gen1 and gen3 iPads). No artifacts, hard to tell diff between standard and best quality (other than download times).
chrislemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #513
NYHeel

Quote:
Thank you. I placed my order on tivo.com.
I think bradleys misunderstood what you want and I believe the answer is no. You can not initiate a transfer from a Tivo series 3 to a premiere from the iOS app. You obviously can do it from the Tivo itself but you can't do it using the app. At least you couldn't do that prior to v2.0.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #514
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
I am really upset that TiVo has decided to enter a fight with the jailbreak community. They sold this device to me under false pretences

"false pretenses?" They told you it would work on jailbroken devices?

Listen, I jailbreak too, and I am annoyed about this too, but your rant is off base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #515
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

No local streaming only. Unless you setup some sort of VPN so your iPad appears as if it's on the local network.
FWIW, I have set up a software VPN which lets me trick the TWCableTV app into thinking I am on my home network when I travel. Works fine. For kicks I tried it with the TiVo app too, with the 1.9 version, and it did NOT work, at all. The app couldn't discover a TiVo to control. I don't expect this to have changed with 2.0, but would be very happy to learn otherwise.

As it stands I won't be experimenting with a Stream until the jailbreak detection is circumvented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #516
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890
A question for those that already have a Tivo Stream and multiple Tivos.

From the Tivo IOS app, is it possible to initiate a transfer from another Tivo (a non premier) to a Tivo premier and watch it via Tivo Stream?

The premier has most of the shows the family watches. The other S3 Tivos have shows that I would watch via Tivo Stream on the Tivo app. I know Tivo Stream can not communicate to S3 Tivos, but I want to route the show via the S4 to Tivo Stream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I think bradleys misunderstood what you want and I believe the answer is no. You can not initiate a transfer from a Tivo series 3 to a premiere from the iOS app. You obviously can do it from the Tivo itself but you can't do it using the app. At least you couldn't do that prior to v2.0.

OK - that is correct. It has never been possible to initiate a transfer from one TiVo box to another TiVo box using only the IOS app. You need to do that via the TiVo itself.

But you can transfer the shows by browsing the S3 NPL via the S4 TiVo and initiate the MRV. As soon as the MRV is initiated you can begin to either stream or side load the video.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #517
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
FWIW, I have set up a software VPN which lets me trick the TWCableTV app into thinking I am on my home network when I travel.
Heh, that doesn't work with the Brighthouse streaming app since in addition to jailbreak it also checks for VPN!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #518
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I can't get mine to work at all. It's been plugged in for several hours, and the white light is still blinking and I get a 'TiVo Stream cannot be set up' error message when I try to set it up through the app. I've rebooted my router, tried switching out network cables, and nothing seems to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
did you check you tivo.com account to make sure it is activated?
Quote:
Also another thing I did right away before I even turned my tivo stream on was rename it on my Tivo.com account
I thought I posted a reply to this last night, but it mysteriously disappeared. My Stream was activated on my account, but just for kicks I decided to rename it like you did. I have no idea why, but that cause it to start working. It's now streaming well. Now if xCon just gets this pesky jailbreak thing worked out, I'll be happy!
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #519
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
From the Tivo IOS app, is it possible to initiate a transfer from another Tivo (a non premier) to a Tivo premier and watch it via Tivo Stream?
You can watch something that's being transferred via the stream but the app does not have a way to initiate a TiVo to TiVo transfer so you'd need to do that on the TiVo itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkm View Post
Does anyone else have the "shifted video lines" problem with downloads?
I saw that on a few shows when streaming. I could reproduce it consistently on those shows, but others worked fine. I then rebooted the stream and the effect went away.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #520
sbiller

FWIW, it looks like there is a way to reboot the Stream from the iOS app so no need to pull the plug.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #521
akc

Stream multiple tivos?

Hi - I am just looking for a little clarity. We have four Tivo Premieres in the house - will we be able to watch any of them with one stream? They are all hardwired to the network. Thanks!
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #522
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. The TiVo App recognizes all TiVos on your network. You just select the one you want to access from a list, pick the recording you want to Stream and select Watch Now.

In fact the Stream can do up to 4 streams at one time. So if you have 4 iPads you could watch 4 different shows on each one with just one Stream.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #523
akc

Wow. You have just made my day! As a family with 9 iDevices among the four of us, the fact that at the very least each of us can watch our own thing will make it a slam dunk investment. Thanks!

Alexa
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #524
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I thought I posted a reply to this last night, but it mysteriously disappeared. My Stream was activated on my account, but just for kicks I decided to rename it like you did. I have no idea why, but that cause it to start working. It's now streaming well. Now if xCon just gets this pesky jailbreak thing worked out, I'll be happy!
Glad you got it working. I have no idea why the rename trick works but I think it is a matter of a refresh on the tivo.com account.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #525
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akc View Post
Wow. You have just made my day! As a family with 9 iDevices among the four of us, the fact that at the very least each of us can watch our own thing will make it a slam dunk investment. Thanks!

Alexa
One limitation is that each individual TiVo can only stream 3 things at a time, so you'll have to be streaming from at oeast two TiVos to get all 4 streams.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #526
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ok I had everything up and running and tested at home was able to Stream no problem. Did I miss something in the directions about not being able to stream away from home? I had my wife take her ipad to work the same one I set up and got working at home with her to work and now she is telling me that it is not working to stream. Can you only stream when in the same home WiFi as the Stream? I thought you could go anywhere with your Ipad and watch shows on the your home TiVo as long as it is connected to any WiFi?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #527
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Can you only stream when in the same home WiFi as the Stream?
Yes ... it only works on your local network.

Quote:
TiVo Stream adds flexibility to your TiVo experience by letting you stream shows to mobile devices in your home, or wirelessly transfer shows and take them to go.
Quote:
I thought you could go anywhere with your Ipad and watch shows on the your home TiVo as long as it is connected to any WiFi?
No, but if the shows aren't copy-protected you can download them onto your iPad for viewing outside of your home. No streaming though ...

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #528
innocentfreak

Quote:
Ok I had everything up and running and tested at home was able to Stream no problem. Did I miss something in the directions about not being able to stream away from home? I had my wife take her ipad to work the same one I set up and got working at home with her to work and now she is telling me that it is not working to stream. Can you only stream when in the same home WiFi as the Stream? I thought you could go anywhere with your Ipad and watch shows on the your home TiVo as long as it is connected to any WiFi?
Yeah you must have skipped over it since it is mentioned in every review and I believe even on the product details.

It only streams on the same network as the Premiere. You can download shows to the iPad though if they are marked copy freely and those will work anywhere since you downloaded them.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #529
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

D"OH
Ok download then watch away from home.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #530
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Yeah you must have skipped over it since it is mentioned in every review and I believe even on the product details.

It only streams on the same network as the Premiere. You can download shows to the iPad though if they are marked copy freely and those will work anywhere since you downloaded them.
WOW I did read a lot of the reviews and even watched the little preview video.
I'm sure it was selective hearing and reading. Happens all the time when my wife talks to me
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #531
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
No, but if the shows aren't copy-protected you can download them onto your iPad for viewing outside of your home. No streaming though ...
And only if your iOS device is not jailbroken/rooted.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #532
jmpage2

Quote:
WOW I did read a lot of the reviews and even watched the little preview video.
I'm sure it was selective hearing and reading. Happens all the time when my wife talks to me
If you want to stream to the iPad while away from home then you probably want a Slingbox.

Streaming at the quality that the TiVo is doing with the stream box requires a ton of bandwidth, and requires that the TiVo and Stream appear to be locally connected.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #533
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
If you want to stream to the iPad while away from home then you probably want a Slingbox.

Streaming at the quality that the TiVo is doing with the stream box requires a ton of bandwidth, and requires that the TiVo and Stream appear to be locally connected.
Plus the slingbox can change the resolution dynamically based on the bandwidth. It will also cut the framerate if you're on 3G.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #534
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Or if I setup a VPN tunnel with my MiFi device that makes the ipad think it's at home.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #535
jmpage2

Quote:
Or if I setup a VPN tunnel with my MiFi device that makes the ipad think it's at home.
Good luck with that. One the VPN will have to do a few things like proxy bonjour/broadcast messages between the iPad and the other TiVo equipment. Two, you will need a LOT of upload bandwidth and if your provider has a cap it won't take long to chew through it at 1GB per hour of HD material.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #536
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Good luck with that. One the VPN will have to do a few things like proxy bonjour/broadcast messages between the iPad and the other TiVo equipment. Two, you will need a LOT of upload bandwidth and if your provider has a cap it won't take long to chew through it at 1GB per hour of HD material.
Great thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #537
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Plus the slingbox can change the resolution dynamically based on the bandwidth. It will also cut the framerate if you're on 3G.
Frankly I hate my sling-box. The quality is garbage, I have tons of problems reliably connecting when on wifi in places like hotels and coffee bars... but unfortunately Sling is the only game in town for place-shifting right now.

Sling has gone totally downhill since Echostar/Dish bought them out.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #538
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ditto. Most hotels just don't provide enough bandwidth for a relibale connection to a Slingbox. Plus there is a huge lag so it's almost impossible to control a TiVo To FF past commercials. 30 second skip helps, but even then it can be difficult to get pas the commericals.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #539
ShayL

Quote:
Frankly I hate my sling-box. The quality is garbage, I have tons of problems reliably connecting when on wifi in places like hotels and coffee bars... but unfortunately Sling is the only game in town for place-shifting right now.

Sling has gone totally downhill since Echostar/Dish bought them out.
There is also http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html. What is your upload speed? If it is not greater than a 1.5 Mbs, then you are not going to HD quality
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #540
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
There is also http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html. What is your upload speed? If it is not greater than a 1.5 Mbs, then you are not going to HD quality
My upload speed is over 5mbps. The issue is that many guest networks at hotels and the like are strictly throttled. They will often burst up to a higher speed and then throttle the speed down intermittently, which plays hell with a realtime video feed from a Slingbox resulting in massive buffering.