TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
True Colors

What is the best way to stream HD video across a home network?

I have a Tivo premiere with a cable card in it. My cable provider is Verizon FIOS.

What is the best way to stream the HD output from my Tivo to a television in another room?

My Tivo premiere is hardwired to my router. I am interested in streaming from my Tivo, to the router, to some sort of device in another room that can capture the stream and feed it to an HD tv.

Would this product on amazon be the best solution? Or do you have an alternation suggestion?

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wire...+wireless+wifi

Thanks!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The ActionTec device sounds interesting but be sure to read the 1-star reviews (17 out of 74 reviews) on Amazon. I wonder if it works with TiVo? One possible issue, since it is HDMI-based, is how copy-protected content will be handled. Many cable cos copy protect (CCI Byte = 0x02) all channels except copies of local broadcast stations, including all Time Warner and many Comcast systems. I assume Amazon's 30-day return policy would protect you if it doesn't work satisfactorily.

The most obvious solution is another TiVo at the remote location. You won't get instantaneous viewing but you can transfer copies (if not copy protected) and/or can stream from your Premiere (even if copy protected).

I don't know any other solution that would allow you to directly copy or stream from your Premiere to a remote TV in HD using a hardwired network.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

The forthcoming TiVo Mini might be what you're looking for.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-08/...ristened-mini/

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
True Colors

Does the mini actually allow you to do live streaming?

Or does it merely encode a TV stream into a file which can be played back later?

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Does the mini actually allow you to do live streaming?

Or does it merely encode a TV stream into a file which can be played back later?

Thanks,

TC
Are you trying to stream recorded content or live TV? As was pointed out, a Tivo box may be the only way to stream any of the CCI=0x02 channels.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
SNJpage1

Why not just get a HDMI splitter and run another HDMI cable to the other TV. They even sell adapters where you can send it over cat 5. Not need for a router or any connection to your network.