TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
sethw

Awful Awful Awful Tivo Customer Service

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I contacted Tivo about the problem with the Tivo channel lineup after my cable provider went to an all-digital system. Tivo Customer Support either sent me canned responses that completely ignored details I provided in my support request or they just ignored the support request altogether. They even ignored my request to cancel.

So I was forced to call to cancel my subscriptions and because of Tivo's delay in responding to my support requests and ignoring my requests to cancel my subscriptions, it took me 42 minutes to get my account canceled and the amounts refunded. 42 minutes!

I thought that was long enough--but no! I opened my credit card statement and what do I find? An unauthorized $216 charge from Tivo! So I just had to spend an additional 15 minutes going through a dispute resolution process with my credit card company.

I guess the more deals Tivo inks with cable providers the less it has to care about consumers.

Tivo was great. Not anymore. Adios, Tivo.
sethw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

To be fair it's not TiVo's fault your cable system went all digital. I read your other post and I don't understand why a CableCARD would have added any expense or provided "worse service"? If the cable company switched to all digital then they are required to provide you with one CableCARD, free of charge, so you can access the programming you pay for. Did you even ask them about it?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethw View Post
As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I contacted Tivo about the problem with the Tivo channel lineup after my cable provider went to an all-digital system.
There is no problem with the TiVo or with your CATV company. The Tivo is working perfectly as designed and as every UDCP is supposed to be designed.

Quote:
Tivo Customer Support either sent me canned responses
Since you have not provided those responses, we cannot judge how appropriate they were, or even if they were in fact canned.

Quote:
that completely ignored details I provided in my support request or they just ignored the support request altogether.
Judging by your other post, they were quite correct to ignore it. You are asking for something no properly designed CableCard device should do and of which the TiVo is not capable.

Get a CableCard. It is how the TiVo was designed to work, for very good reasons.

Quote:
They even ignored my request to cancel.
That is a different matter.

Quote:
So I was forced to call to cancel my subscriptions and because of Tivo's delay in responding to my support requests and ignoring my requests to cancel my subscriptions, it took me 42 minutes to get my account canceled and the amounts refunded. 42 minutes!
I will definitely allow TiVo's customer support leaves much to be desired, but they are far from the worst out there. Forty two minutes is nothing for a support call. I've had support calls where the initial hold time was more than an hour, and I've been on some calls that lasted more than 8 hours. My most recent support call to Vonage just this past Friday lasted over 3 hours.

Quote:
I thought that was long enough--but no! I opened my credit card statement and what do I find? An unauthorized $216 charge from Tivo! So I just had to spend an additional 15 minutes going through a dispute resolution process with my credit card company.
What were the claimed charges?

Quote:
I guess the more deals Tivo inks with cable providers the less it has to care about consumers.
Quit whining.

Quote:
Bye.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-06-2012 at 12:56 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
To be fair it's not TiVo's fault your cable system went all digital.
Nor is any Series III or above Stand Alone TiVo unable to handle an all digital CATV system. It's the TiVo's natural element.

Quote:
I read your other post and I don't understand why a CableCARD would have added any expense or provided "worse service"? If the cable company switched to all digital then they are required to provide you with one CableCARD, free of charge
Are they? I wasn't aware of that requirement.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I could be wrong on that free of charge part. But there are restrictions on the max they can charge for a CableCARD so worst case is it would have cost what $4/mo more?

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
jcthorne

In my case, back when I decided to leave Comcrap, adding the cable card to my Basic Cable subscription would have added $35 a month. They would not issue a CC without upgrading to Standard Digital package. Admittedly, that was a number of years ago. We have been quite happy with Tivo, OTA and internet for a long time now.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Sounds like you were charged an early termination fee for cancelling while you had a commitment. My guess is that the time it took you to cancel probably had something to do with them trying to explain this to you.

TiVo is clear that receiving digital cable requires a CableCARD. Your refusal to use the device as intended doesn't reflect a problem with TiVo.

Can we get the word "Service" removed from the title of this tread?

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

The requirement is that if you have a cableco package that includes a box in the service price, and you don't use a cableco box since you own your equipment, then you would not be charged for the first cablecard.

There is no cap on the charge for the card. It just needs to be no higher than the charge included in a cableco box. Comcast gets around this by including the card in a service fee that is charged for each digital "outlet", which could be for their box, or your own.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Grakthis

people like this are why it's impossible to read "customer support" reviews and ratings and take them seriously. People have some kind of entitlement issue where they think they should snap their fingers and support should magically make everything work exactly how they want it to work.

"what do you mean your product doesn't come with a jet pack? This is outrageous! I demand a jet pack or else I demand you take my 5 month old product back and give me a full refund plus interest."

This seems to happen way more in technology than other industries. People KNOW how a car works and why it can't fly. People seem to think technology runs on rainbows and magic.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
In my case, back when I decided to leave Comcrap, adding the cable card to my Basic Cable subscription would have added $35 a month. They would not issue a CC without upgrading to Standard Digital package. Admittedly, that was a number of years ago. We have been quite happy with Tivo, OTA and internet for a long time now.
If they had switched your entire basic subscription to digital then they'd have to provide you with a box or a CableCARD for you to continue to use their service.

In your case the basic tier must not have been digital, which is why they required an upgrade to a digital package to get the CableCARD.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
jcthorne

Quote:
If they had switched your entire basic subscription to digital then they'd have to provide you with a box or a CableCARD for you to continue to use their service.

In your case the basic tier must not have been digital, which is why they required an upgrade to a digital package to get the CableCARD.

Dan
Nope, in Houston, basic is digital. Unencrypted QAM. No CC required. If you want a CC for Tivo, you have to upgrade to a 'digital tier' package. If you have an old analog only tv they will give you a basic SD converter box for free. As the basic tier is provided 'in the clear' they skirt the FCC requirement of a free CC. Still does not work for Tivo so the upgrade is still over $30 a month for basicly the same service with CC. Comcrap has gotten further and further from any reasonable value for the priced charged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
GAViewer

My cable company (Truvista) is in the process of converting to all encrypted digital. Some of their service areas have already been converted. This would effectively convert my two tuner series 2 into a single tuner. So I took advantage of the Tivo premier upgrade offer. But they would not provide me a free cablecard, I told them I would be returning my cable box which has no charge and they said I would still have to pay $4 a month for the cablecard. I told them if it wasn't free, I would drop my pay channels in the hope that would change their mind. They said go ahead so I did. Net result my cable bill went down. But they say they never provide a cablecard for free. The people that are on the basic plan get a free DTA which is shipped to them before their area is converted to digital, people on the expanded plan get a free cable box, but a cablecard will cost $4 a month no matter what plan you have.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViewer View Post
My cable company (Truvista) is in the process of converting to all encrypted digital. Some of their service areas have already been converted. This would effectively convert my two tuner series 2 into a single tuner. So I took advantage of the Tivo premier upgrade offer. But they would not provide me a free cablecard, I told them I would be returning my cable box which has no charge and they said I would still have to pay $4 a month for the cablecard. I told them if it wasn't free, I would drop my pay channels in the hope that would change their mind. They said go ahead so I did. Net result my cable bill went down. But they say they never provide a cablecard for free. The people that are on the basic plan get a free DTA which is shipped to them before their area is converted to digital, people on the expanded plan get a free cable box, but a cablecard will cost $4 a month no matter what plan you have.

If they provide a cable box for free as part of their package then they're required to give you a credit for the value of that box if you choose to use your own equipment instead. You should complain to the FCC.

Not entirely square
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
jrtroo
User

Sounds like you have an opportunity to complain to the FCC.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...blecard-rights

Are you getting a credit to use your own box?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
GAViewer

Thank you for the information.

The way I read it is that they can charge me for the cablecard, but they have to give me a service discount for turning their box back in. I'll contact them first about this rule to see what they say, and if they refuse to give me the discount I'll complain to the FCC.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
UCLABB

Thanks for the link. I could have used it yesterday. When I bought my TiVo, I turned in my DVR and was told I would get a reduction on my bill. However, when it didn't happen and I complained, they said it was because the DVR was part of a contract package. Reading the rules, it seems like I should have gotten the reduction. In any event when I went to office and complained, i was offered a "new" package that was cheaper AND included phone service which I once again need. So, everything turned out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Sounds like you have an opportunity to complain to the FCC.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...blecard-rights

Are you getting a credit to use your own box?

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
JTYoung1

Quote:
As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I contacted Tivo about the problem with the Tivo channel lineup after my cable provider went to an all-digital system. Tivo Customer Support either sent me canned responses that completely ignored details I provided in my support request or they just ignored the support request altogether. They even ignored my request to cancel.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

I was wondering when that response would be posted.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
lrhorer

Quote:
In my case, back when I decided to leave Comcrap, adding the cable card to my Basic Cable subscription would have added $35 a month.
If the company converts its basic cable to digital, though, it is a different situation. There can no longer be a distinction between basic and digital. Clear QAM or not, I think such a distinction merits a complaint to the FCC. As pointed out, however, the difference in cost between the CableCard and the STB rental fee should in any case still reduce the cost of the service.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
people like this are why it's impossible to read "customer support" reviews and ratings and take them seriously. People have some kind of entitlement issue where they think they should snap their fingers and support should magically make everything work exactly how they want it to work.
Amazing, isn't it?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #21
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If the company converts its basic cable to digital, though, it is a different situation. There can no longer be a distinction between basic and digital. Clear QAM or not, I think such a distinction merits a complaint to the FCC. As pointed out, however, the difference in cost between the CableCard and the STB rental fee should in any case still reduce the cost of the service.
All true but, for me, mute point as I no longer subscribe. Things move on and may indeed be different now. I have no desire or need to go back. It was just one of many reasons I finally stopped the $150 a month Comcrap donation.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
All true but, for me, mute point as I no longer subscribe. Things move on and may indeed be different now. I have no desire or need to go back. It was just one of many reasons I finally stopped the $150 a month Comcrap donation.
The point is moot.

Not entirely square
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
The point is moot.
LOL. If only all the "moot" posts on this forum could also be "mute" posts!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
GAViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViewer View Post
Thank you for the information.

The way I read it is that they can charge me for the cablecard, but they have to give me a service discount for turning their box back in. I'll contact them first about this rule to see what they say, and if they refuse to give me the discount I'll complain to the FCC.
After quoting FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5). from http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights on their facebook page and saying if I didn't get it I would file a complaint with the fcc, I got a call this morning saying I would be getting a discount.

So thanks again to the people who let me know about that rule.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
nrc
Cracker Soul

Great to hear. I suspect that there are a lot of people in your same situation who simply don't know the rule or don't want to bother fighting their cable company.

Not entirely square