TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

I really enjoyed this show. Another Gordon Ramsay show that I like now.

Plus the season was nice and short. Six episodes was perfect for late Summer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #62
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Tell Fox that.

Notice in that press release that they are also taking requests from people who "know of a hotel in serious need of Gordon Ramsay's help." Why do I have a feeling that address is going to be flooded with requests from people who went somewhere and had one bad experience?
Because if the experience at a hotel is that bad, nobody goes back for a second stay?

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #63
Worf

Well, I'm sure Fox will see which hotels keep getting mentioned over and over again.

And even then, there'll be tons that even though they get a lot of complaints, probably won't make it in because there are even worse ones they'll film.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #64
wendiness1
WiiMomma

The Roosevelt B & B featured in the final episode is right here in Coeur d'Alene. Innkeeper John Hough is portrayed to be a bit volitile which isn't exactly a misrepresentation. I can't seem to cut and paste the link but just google John Hough Avista and scroll to the Couer d'Alene Press article. Two years ago, Avista tried to cut off the electricity to the inn for nonpayment and John threatened the staff with a rifle. He was taken in for psychiatric evaluation.

John Hough is the uncle to Derek and Julianne Hough, both dancers on Dancing With the Stars. I think Julianne is presently dating Ryan Seacrest.

Anyway, John and Tina hosted a party to watch the broadcast on a big outdoor screen. Folks could get a package that included a room at the inn or you could choose to just watch the show and then join in a Q & A (for a mere $59)! I don't think the Houghs realized how badly they were about to come off in front of all their friends/guests.

Since then, in interviews, John claims he didn't know anything about Ramsay or what to expect and that everything was hyped (I do believe that). He was pretty upset at how they were portrayed.

Last edited by wendiness1 : 09-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
wendiness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #65
inaka

Did each guest get complementary blacklight glasses to wear after the show?
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
The Roosevelt B & B featured in the final episode is right here in Coeur d'Alene. Innkeeper John Hough is portrayed to be a bit volitile which isn't exactly a misrepresentation. I can't seem to cut and paste the link but just google John Hough Avista and scroll to the Couer d'Alene Press article. Two years ago, Avista tried to cut off the electricity to the inn for nonpayment and John threatened the staff with a rifle. He was taken in for psychiatric evaluation.

John Hough is the uncle to Derek and Julianne Hough, both dancers on Dancing With the Stars. I think Julianne is presently dating Ryan Seacrest.

Anyway, John and Tina hosted a party to watch the broadcast on a big outdoor screen. Folks could get a package that included a room at the inn or you could choose to just watch the show and then join in a Q & A (for a mere $59)! I don't think the Houghs realized how badly they were about to come off in front of all their friends/guests.

Since then, in interviews, John claims he didn't know anything about Ramsay or what to expect and that everything was hyped (I do believe that). He was pretty upset at how they were portrayed.
I thought this was an interesting read about them and about the process of being on Hotel Hell.

"Hotel Hell" leaves Roosevelt Inn owners reeling, nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
^^^
Weird. So, they put the pilot up on Hulu before premiering it on TV?
They have been doing this for many years with some shows. This is nothing new. Before Hulu shows were availble from VOD sources before the season Premiere. I think 2006 or 2007 is when i remember watching a bunch of shows from VOD that were available before the season started.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #67
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Interesting she came offverywell. Hopefully she's happy with it. He didn't come off so hot.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #68
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I was cringing when he stepped into the shower barefoot. What was he thinking? I always wear shower shoes when I am out.
Wow, what a germophobe! I walk around barefoot at work.. I'm currently barefoot.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #69
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
That said, I hate it how no matter what Ramsay orders for dinner, he said it's horrible.
I was thinking of bringing this up in another thread. Actually, I remember him ONCE saying something was good in the "before" case, for Kitchen Nightmares. It was the dessert maker for one of the places. That's the only time I remember him saying something good before the changes. If anyone can remember other cases, that'd be useful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
I couldn't agree more. Arguably the most egregious of these "reality" shows is the "Great escape" How can the so called guards miss the contestant who are being filmed by at least 2 production assistants?
I think that's TOTALLY unfair. Think of "Great Escape" as a game show. The guards are almost certainly given rules, they follow a route (they say that), and presumably the rule is something like "if you can see the contestant out in the open, stop them".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #70
Worf

Well, like I said earlier, it's unlikely that of all the places that get submitted, they'd run out of really truly awful ones that have nothing good to them that they'd have to have to do a show where the food was edible. There's just too many worse places.

Also, I doubt a hotel that's struggling would have good food to begin with - if the food was good, the restaurant will be completely busy all the time and be the successful part of the business.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #71
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wow, what a germophobe! I walk around barefoot at work.. I'm currently barefoot.
Not a germophobe at all. I just don't like the thought of the remnants of people's fungus and urine swishing around between my toes.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #72
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I was thinking of bringing this up in another thread. Actually, I remember him ONCE saying something was good in the "before" case, for Kitchen Nightmares. It was the dessert maker for one of the places. That's the only time I remember him saying something good before the changes. If anyone can remember other cases, that'd be useful to know.
Yup, I remember that too, but again, that just reeked of the show filling in a pre-determined narrative that actually made for more drama as the dessert maker didn't get along with the chef. (I also remember that exact episode, and that dessert maker woman was in love with Ramsay. LOL) Again, it made for a more entertaining show.

But I simply don't believe that everything in relation to the food, and I mean, everything, is horrible. Sure the producers likely pre-arrange that he orders the worst items on the menu, but oddly, the show would be more interesting if there was the occasional good item on the menu.

What's also completely fake to me is in Kitchen Nightmares whenever they have some sous chef who hasn't been given a change, Ramsay will ask them to make some dish and if it's good, it will be the special for the night. It's always "amazing" according to Ramsay, again to just make for more drama in the show. There's no way the sous chef just always makes a stunning dish every time. He never says, "Hey, I wanted to like that but it's crap."

This reminds me of that show that used to be on Discovery called Monster Garage with Jesse James. They had 6 days to rebuild a car into a "monster vehicle" working around-the-clock, etc. Well, they would always make the deadline, and then, oops, one time they didn't. The producers didn't know what to do. Well, it turned out to be really interesting, because even though this is reality TV faked info-tainement, it actually made the show even more real that it wasn't guaranteed they would finish each time. Soon after, they wouldn't finish a few times. Actually made the show better. If Ramsay did the same, and maybe one or two food items were actually good, it might be more interesting. Otherwise, we know the exact same formula each and every time...

But I still watch. So the joke's on me I guess.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #73
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

If you go online and do some searching, particularly on Yelp, lots of people talk about how this or that's restaurant's signature dish, which Ramssey always hates, is actually well liked around town and well enjoyed.

I think he hates things just to make it more interesting.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #74
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I have never in my life heard of shower shoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #75
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I used to wear something on my feet forty years ago whenever I was in a multi-person shower. My mom required it so I would not get some type of foot fungus. And I never did. To this day I still won't use a multi-person shower without wearing something on my feet.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #76
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
That is what we called them in the Navy. Basically just flip-flops.

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #77
sharkster

Has anybody else noticed how profoundly intrusive the background music for the show is?

Maybe it's just me, because I have fairly loud ear-ringing going on 24/7 and it's hard for me to listen to more than two things at once (the ringing in my ears and only ONE more thing), but the last episode had all that weird, ominous music blaring in my head to the extent that I could hardly hear what people were saying. I couldn't even turn the volume enough to hear the dialog because the music was (seemed to me anyway) much louder than people talking.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #78
aaronwt
HD Addict

I did not notice an issue with the music.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner