Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #481
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMachin View Post
Did anyone try this when their Tivo is connected wirelessly (using the TiVo wifi dongle)? I know it's "not supported" - just wondered if it worked or not.
Mine is going through a HomePlug network, which is slower then 802.11n, and it works fine. Not a direct analog, but I'm betting it'll work OK if you're just streaming one show at a time.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #482
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Just to confirm, this cannot stream to the Internet a la sling box?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #483
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Just to confirm, this cannot stream to the Internet a la sling box?
No local streaming only. Unless you setup some sort of VPN so your iPad appears as if it's on the local network. However for that to work you'd need a pretty good upload speed on your internet connection because it can not dynamically adjust the quality to match bandwidth. It just streams in the format it streams and you need enough bandwidth to handle it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #484
jfh3

The TiVo.com/stream page is now active and the home page has been updated to feature the Stream. Slightly misleading, as the target is currently iOS devices only (at least for now)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #485
sbiller

Hands-on review plus video

TechOfTheHub presents his hands-on review.

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/09/...he+Hub+Blog%29
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #486
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Used my Stream to watch the (time-shifted) football game on my iPad last night. In general, I am very pleased with the experience. The video quality is excellent, I only had a couple momentary pauses while watching the video (could very well have been a glitch in the original video material), and it just came across as a very professional implementation for a 1.0 release of something this complicated.

I did have a few crashes of the app, mostly when exiting the video viewing screen. Restarting the app was quick, and it picked up easily.

Using the right swipe to do 30-second skip and left swipe to do 8-second rewind is really nice. Someone mentioned above that they thought the right-swipe for 30-second skip was backwards -- I disagree, you just swipe in the direction you want to go on the time bar.

Nice job Tivo!!
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #487
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No local streaming only. Unless you setup some sort of VPN so your iPad appears as if it's on the local network. However for that to work you'd need a pretty good upload speed on your internet connection because it can not dynamically adjust the quality to match bandwidth. It just streams in the format it streams and you need enough bandwidth to handle it.

Dan
Perhaps you know, but I have a 15MB upload....you think that'd work assuming I can get a vpn going?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #488
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Have you tried deleting the app off of the iPhone/iPad/iPod and reinstalling it?
Yup, no change. I really wish these things were available in Best Buy already so that I could just go buy a new one. I ordered a new one yesterday from TiVo, and was told it would still ship via overnight, so I'm hoping I'll have a new one tomorrow. If it ships ground, I'll probably have to wait a week. Maybe they'll be in Best Buy by then.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #489
miller890

A question for those that already have a Tivo Stream and multiple Tivos.

From the Tivo IOS app, is it possible to initiate a transfer from another Tivo (a non premier) to a Tivo premier and watch it via Tivo Stream?

The premier has most of the shows the family watches. The other S3 Tivos have shows that I would watch via Tivo Stream on the Tivo app. I know Tivo Stream can not communicate to S3 Tivos, but I want to route the show via the S4 to Tivo Stream.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #490
SugarBowl

Does best buy have them yet? It's not on their website.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #491
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Does best buy have them yet? It's not on their website.
the product just came out today so i doubt best buy has it yet
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #492
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
the product just came out today so i doubt best buy has it yet
TiVo PR released today indicated, "coming soon to most Best Buy and Magnolia Home Theater stores".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tivo-l...120000424.html

PS) this is the first time in a long-time I've seen TiVoGuard mentioned.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #493
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
A question for those that already have a Tivo Stream and multiple Tivos.

From the Tivo IOS app, is it possible to initiate a transfer from another Tivo (a non premier) to a Tivo premier and watch it via Tivo Stream?

The premier has most of the shows the family watches. The other S3 Tivos have shows that I would watch via Tivo Stream on the Tivo app. I know Tivo Stream can not communicate to S3 Tivos, but I want to route the show via the S4 to Tivo Stream.
It does not do that. All it can do is stream or sideload a show TO an iDevice, not another TiVo.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #494
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It does not do that. All it can do is stream or sideload a show TO an iDevice, not another TiVo.
Reread what he's asking. He's asking if you can transfer a show from a S3 to a Premiere and then from there stream it to the Stream. Based on what I've read, I believe the answer is yes.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #495
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Reread what he's asking. He's asking if you can transfer a show from a S3 to a Premiere and then from there stream it to the Stream. Based on what I've read, I believe the answer is yes.
He said something about initiating the transfer from the iOS app, in other words using it to move the recording and then have the Stream start up with it. I'm pretty sure that's all not gonna work.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #496
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The answer is absolutely yes - I tried that yesterday. You can also transfer a movie from an external library to the Premier and initiate a stream. Also both the stream and sideload can be intiated while the transfer is still active.

So in other words you can be MRV'ing a video from an S3 and sideloading it to your TiVo at the same time!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #497
Aero 1

will someone please try it with a VPN outside the network!!!

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #498
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
+1

Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #499
skywalkm
TiVoholic

Great Streamer; horrible downloads

Wow. Really impressed with its streaming ability. Pretty flawless quality. I've had no trick play issues (although I haven't watched much). I need to do more testing, but after setting up my wife's phone, it kicked me out on my phone (maybe it was just because of the initial setup on a 2nd device).

Now to the problem. I tried downloading at best quality and standard. Absolutely horrible. In the best quality, there are "shifted video lines" really distorting the video. On standard quality, it is simply more "shifted video lines". I can't imagine every watching downloaded shows like that. I'll try again tonight. I'm not sure what "best" really means. Ideally, there'd be 3 choices: completely uncompressed video, slightly compressed and highly compressed. I know it would be large, but I'd like the choice.

Does anyone else have the "shifted video lines" problem with downloads?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #500
miller890

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
The answer is absolutely yes - I tried that yesterday. You can also transfer a movie from an external library to the Premier and initiate a stream. Also both the stream and sideload can be intiated while the transfer is still active.

So in other words you can be MRV'ing a video from an S3 and sideloading it to your TiVo at the same time!
Thank you. I placed my order on tivo.com.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #501
miller890

Has anyone compared Tivo Stream and play-back performance on older iPad gen1 vs newer iPads? Tivo Desktop plus conversion files play fine on a iPad gen1, but I don't think that means much since the Tivo App is doing the playback.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #502
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I have tried it using a VPN connection from my ipad to my network and it does not work...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #503
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
Has anyone compared Tivo Stream and play-back performance on older iPad gen1 vs newer iPads? Tivo Desktop plus conversion files play fine on a iPad gen1, but I don't think that means much since the Tivo App is doing the playback.
I tested it on an iPad 1, iPad 2 and an early iPod... Works well on all platforms.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #504
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkm View Post
Wow. Really impressed with its streaming ability. Pretty flawless quality. I've had no trick play issues (although I haven't watched much). I need to do more testing, but after setting up my wife's phone, it kicked me out on my phone (maybe it was just because of the initial setup on a 2nd device).

Now to the problem. I tried downloading at best quality and standard. Absolutely horrible. In the best quality, there are "shifted video lines" really distorting the video. On standard quality, it is simply more "shifted video lines". I can't imagine every watching downloaded shows like that. I'll try again tonight. I'm not sure what "best" really means. Ideally, there'd be 3 choices: completely uncompressed video, slightly compressed and highly compressed. I know it would be large, but I'd like the choice.

I have not noticed any artifacts... I transfered a full HD movie in best quality (~2GB), a 1 hour HD television show in best quality (~1GB) and a 1 hour HD television show in standard quality (~650k)

I cannot personally tell the difference between the best quality and the standard quality on my iPad2. The video quality is fantastic.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #505
Aero 1

Quote:
I have tried it using a VPN connection from my ipad to my network and it does not work...
bummer, thanks.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #506
vectorcatch

Quote:
bummer, thanks.
For a VPN to work it would need to support mDNS and Bonjour.

This means that your IP address given out on your network would have to be on the same subnet as your Tivo. It also means that your VPN server would need to correctly handle multicast and arp requests from the VPN client. The VPN Client would have to appear like any other device on the local LAN.

The only non-commercial solution I have seen that may be able to do this is StrongSwan (using the dhcp and farp plugins). OpenVPN may have similar functionality, but as it doesn't work with iDevices (non-Jailbroken) I haven't looked.

This will never work with PPTP.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #507
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkm View Post

I've had the "shifted video lines" issue on streamed content but not on downloaded. It occurred after repeatedly doing 30-second skips and goes away when I stopped the video and restarted. I got the impression I was overloading the Stream and it was going into some kind of reduced quality mode. It's worrying that it can happen on downloads because as far as I can tell the downloads are higher quality than the streamed video and have all worked for me other than the time it takes to download sometimes being longer than expected.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #508
jmpage2

Quote:
I have not noticed any artifacts... I transfered a full HD movie in best quality (~2GB), a 1 hour HD television show in best quality (~1GB) and a 1 hour HD television show in standard quality (~650k)

I cannot personally tell the difference between the best quality and the standard quality on my iPad2. The video quality is fantastic.
Difference is a bit more noticeable on the iPad 3, due to the higher resolution and higher contrast screen (I would imagine).
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #509
cherry ghost

Quote:

Those are the sizes after transfer? Any idea how that compares to the size using KMTTG with the iPad encode?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #510
cherry ghost

If this thread disappears, it will probably found in the new Stream section
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote