TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #451
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I think your stats are a little off - especially since tablets are really the target devices, phones are an added value. But I am sure Android will be available soon.
I agree. The Android App will come.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #452
jmpage2

So, for grins I plugged my Kill-A-Watt into the Stream to check on power consumption. It is 7-8 watts standby. When you are streaming it can rise to 9 watts, with one stream anyway.

This tells me it's not particularly efficient, as it's sucking quite a lot of juice when it is sitting there doing nothing.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to throw this guy on a UPS if you have one in the vicinity of your Stream. It took a bit of screwing around with the app and stream to get it to re-connect after having killed power to the unit temporarily. Recovery does not look to be very graceful.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #453
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine finally came. I've got it hooked up and it's updating the software now.

First thing I noticed is that it's kind of loud. The fan is a bit whiny. Anyone else hear it? Or did I get a loud one?

Edit: Noise seems to be some sort of vibration. If I turn it on it's side it's a lot quieter

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #454
triftraf

Anybody know when/if the Stream will be available at retailers?
triftraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #455
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Wait, so even if I don't own a Stream, the new app won't run on my jailbroken iPad or iPhone?

edit: to answer my own question: yep. I get a message about "unauthorized modifications detected" and then it just closes.
I was able to roll back to the previous version (v1.9.1) to get the app working again on my jailbroken devices. Guess I'll wait and see if the xCon guys can come up with a fix for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #456
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ok that was easy from open the box to first stream 20min max
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #457
spinboy

Can't stream live shows. Keep getting an error that there are already four streams active. Um, no there aren't. WTF.
spinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #458
bradleys
It'll be fine....

So, I moved a ripped movie from from my server to the Premier and then from the Premier to the IOS app. A couple of observations...

The movie transfers to the iPad with a title of To Be Announced. It shows on the NPL on both the iPad and the TiVo with the FILE NAME, however, it seems to be using the metadata name to drive the naming on the "On iPad" file list. Very disapointing...

You can begin a transfer to the ipad while the transfer to the TiVo is still in progress. The is actually not that suprising considering how it works with live TV, but it is nice and a time saver.

I wonder if we can convince TiVo to change the Mobile Playing List (MPL) to pull file name as opposed to the metadata name, similar to the NPL

So far, I love the device!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #459
rick123

I am really upset that TiVo has decided to enter a fight with the jailbreak community. They sold this device to me under false pretences and I will be returning it within the 30 day return period if the issue is not resolved.

I have faith in the jailbreak community, they love a challenge and will respond successfully IMO.

Ask yourself why? Why has TiVo the company suddenly decided to be jailbreak police? There will soon be all kinds of negative commentary on the web as the tech community does not like this kind of sneaky behavior. TiVo has always encouraged and even worked with the hacking community as it allowed its own hardware to be hacked and upgraded. Why?

What possible reason would TiVo the company suddenly decide to kiss up to Apple the company and all the negatives that will come with this action against the tech community.

You heard it here first. TiVo has tipped its hand. Apple and TiVo are in talks for Apple to acquire TiVo. This is the only reason I can come up with. Apple would do this if Apple owned TiVo. TiVo as an independent company has absolutely no other incentive to do this!

I have confidence in the jailbreak community. Let's get this fixed!

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #460
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
I am really upset that TiVo has decided to enter a fight with the jailbreak community. They sold this device to me under false pretences and I will be returning it within the 30 day return period if the issue is not resolved.

I have faith in the jailbreak community, they love a challenge and will respond successfully IMO.

Ask yourself why? Why has TiVo the company suddenly decided to be jailbreak police? There will soon be all kinds of negative commentary on the web as the tech community does not like this kind of sneaky behavior. TiVo has always encouraged and even worked with the hacking community as it allowed its own hardware to be hacked and upgraded. Why?

What possible reason would TiVo the company suddenly decide to kiss up to Apple the company and all the negatives that will come with this action against the tech community.

You heard it here first. TiVo has tipped its hand. Apple and TiVo are in talks for Apple to acquire TiVo. This is the only reason I can come up with. Apple would do this if Apple owned TiVo. TiVo as an independent company has absolutely no other incentive to do this!

I have confidence in the jailbreak community. Let's get this fixed!
This is a Cablelabs requirement. Its out of TiVo's control.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #461
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinboy View Post
Can't stream live shows. Keep getting an error that there are already four streams active. Um, no there aren't. WTF.
Is it even suppose to work with live shows? AFAIK it's only been announced as supporting watching recordings or side-loading recordings, not live TV.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #462
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
I rather doubt that TiVo is "picking a fight with the jailbreak community". They are required to secure apps like this, because it is required by content providers and others.

While I'm no fan of content providers (I actually think they are kind of scummy), they have every reason to insist that apps like this are tightly locked down. Everyone that I personally know who has a Jailbroken iOS device rips off most of their apps/content anyway.

The fact that it personally irks you, when you are using your device in the manner you are (Jailbroken) almost definitely does not enter into the equation from TiVos perspective.

Here's a thought, why don't you email TiVo Margaret and ask her why TiVo is "picking a fight with the jailbreak community". That ought to be good for a laugh.

Do everyone a favor and simply return the device for a refund.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #463
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Is it even suppose to work with live shows? AFAIK it's only been announced as supporting watching recordings or side-loading recordings, not live TV.
For "Live TV" it's supposed to start a recording on the host TiVo if a tuner is available and then start streaming the recording. I guess that means every time the current show ends you will have to request "Live TV" again and repeat the process. Kind of a kludge, but then again what TiVo owner watches live TV anyway?

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #464
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
My Stream seems to crash every time I try to use any trick play functions. The only way to get it to start streaming again is to reboot it. Anyone else?
Looks like if you try to trick play too soon and get ahead of the buffer the Stream crashes.
For me if I wait a couple of minutes the trick play works fine.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #465
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
For "Live TV" it's supposed to start a recording on the host TiVo if a tuner is available and then start streaming the recording. I guess that means every time the current show ends you will have to request "Live TV" again and repeat the process. Kind of a kludge, but then again what TiVo owner watches live TV anyway?
Yeah, I almost never watch Live TV. My wife does (frighteningly enough).
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #466
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Looks like if you try to trick play too soon and get ahead of the buffer the Stream crashes.
For me if I wait a couple of minutes the trick play works fine.
I tried letting it stream for 10 minutes before hitting a trick play button. Same result. Even the pause button causes it to crash.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #467
spinboy

I prefer to watch the news live, silly me. :-)
spinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #468
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've done a bit of testing and it seems to work pretty good. It's really loud though. Sounds like when the video card in my laptop is running full speed.

Just for kicks I tried accessing it via the http page that regular TiVos have but it throws up an access forbidden message. I hope eventually TiVo updates TiVo Desktop to support the stream so you can transfer things directly in the H.264 format. Would save a lot of recoding on my PC if I could just transfer in H.264 and edit out the commercials real quick using VideoReDo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #469
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Just for kicks I transfered a 1080p video from PC to S4 and it works great and looks amazing. I can already tell this is going to be good stuff. WTG TiVo
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #470
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
I tried letting it stream for 10 minutes before hitting a trick play button. Same result. Even the pause button causes it to crash.
Unplug the Stream and let it sit for a few seconds and then plug it back in. Then kill the app and power off the iOS device and restart it.
The previous steps seemed to have fixed my problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #471
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Unplug the Stream and let it sit for a few seconds and then plug it back in. Then kill the app and power off the iOS device and restart it.
The previous steps seemed to have fixed my problem.
I tried that, but no change in behavior.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #472
button1066

My cynicism was completely unjustified. I bought a stream so I can stop using tivotogo to convert my shows to put them in iTunes to stream to my iPad. Anyone who does that knows how annoying it is. The stream works like a dream. Streaming is excellent and the sideloading is perfect.

Only problem: why do you have to swipe the screen towards the right to skip 30 secs ahead? It's the opposite to every other app. Minor quibble, I love the stream.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #473
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I think your stats are a little off - especially since tablets are really the target devices, phones are an added value. But I am sure Android will be available soon.
No, I was responding to a post about the Mini only working with a 4 tuner Premiere.

Last edited by crxssi : 09-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #474
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't get mine to work at all. It's been plugged in for several hours, and the white light is still blinking and I get a 'TiVo Stream cannot be set up' error message when I try to set it up through the app. I've rebooted my router, tried switching out network cables, and nothing seems to work.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #475
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

did you check you tivo.com account to make sure it is activated?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #476
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Also another thing I did right away before I even turned my tivo stream on was rename it on my Tivo.com account
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #477
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, I was responding to a post about the Mini only working with a 4 tuner Premiere.
Then you are more then correct... Sorry, I misunderstood.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #478
DaveMachin

Did anyone try this when their Tivo is connected wirelessly (using the TiVo wifi dongle)? I know it's "not supported" - just wondered if it worked or not.
DaveMachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #479
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Well I do think I will use this quite a bit. I have tried about every use case I can think of and it really works great... I even moved off the app during a side load and once I came back it was able to reconnect and complete the move easily - very nice.

My only complaint is using metadata to populate the Show name for content stored on ythe iPad. Makes it really annoying moving a home video or ripped movie as it shows up named "To be announced"...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #480
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
I tried that, but no change in behavior.
Have you tried deleting the app off of the iPhone/iPad/iPod and reinstalling it?