TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
bruceko

Series 3 hd constant reboot when cable card installed

After doing a channel line up update my Hd tivo is going into constant reboots.
It works fine when the cable card is removed for off the air channels and can play recorded shows.
After putting the card back in It boots then runs for about 2 minutes. then reboots.
I picked up a couple of new cable cards and they cause the tivo to do the same thing. I have talked to tech support several times and they don't really know what is going on other than the card reader failed.
This is a life time unit that my other msd's are tied to. They really have no offers for replacing it other than a basic premier with a new lifetime for about $350.

Last edited by bruceko : 09-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.
bruceko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
ibergu

While it could be a problem with the card reader, it most likely is due to one or more bad capacitors in the TiVo's power supply. It's frequently called "capacitor plague". If the capacitor's become bad, the TiVo doesn't have enough power to start up and gets stuck in a reboot cycle. To check whether the capacitors might be the cause, you would have to take off the lid of the TiVo.

If it is the power supply, possible solutions include replacing the bad capacitor(s) or replacing the entire power supply (weaknees.com sells them for $99). I recently had a similar problem and after replacing the power supply, my Series 3 has been working properly.

Hope this helps.
ibergu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
bruceko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibergu View Post
While it could be a problem with the card reader, it most likely is due to one or more bad capacitors in the TiVo's power supply. It's frequently called "capacitor plague". If the capacitor's become bad, the TiVo doesn't have enough power to start up and gets stuck in a reboot cycle. To check whether the capacitors might be the cause, you would have to take off the lid of the TiVo.

If it is the power supply, possible solutions include replacing the bad capacitor(s) or replacing the entire power supply (weaknees.com sells them for $99). I recently had a similar problem and after replacing the power supply, my Series 3 has been working properly.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I opened it up this weekend and did not see any bulging capacitors.
It does operate fine if the cable card is not installed.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibergu View Post
+1

I had the same problem recently where my OLED S3 would boot without the CableCARDs, but would loop if they were installed. Found several bulging capacitors and replacing the power supply fixed the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceko View Post
By bulging, they mean a slight indentation outward as in a not completely flat top surface.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
It's quite possible that the extra current draw of the cable card and the associated circuitry and processing is just enough to put the power supply over the edge if it's marginal.

And since it's an S3, it's probably just a matter of time before it has power supply problems anyway if it doesn't already, so you might as well go ahead and replace the capacitors which are connected between the +5 V output and ground and the ones connected between the +12 V output and ground.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
bruceko

thanks for the help. I looked again and the large cap was very slightly deformed on the top
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
bruceko

Are the power supplies interchangeable between the TiVo TCD652160 and the TiVo TCD648250B? It doesn't look like it from the Weaknees web site.
I have and extra 2160
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Are the power supplies interchangeable between the TiVo TCD652160 and the TiVo TCD648250B? It doesn't look like it from the Weaknees web site.
I have and extra 2160
Not really, however you could experiment.

By which I mean, see if the same color wires go to the same places in the plug that goes to the motherboard.

The orig. S3 should have an additional wire, not sure what color, for the OLED display, in addition to black (ground), orange (+3.3V), red (+5V), and yellow (+12V).

If the HD supply's plug has the right color wires in the right places and none in the wrong places (except for the missing OLED supply), then look at the silkscreening on the power supply boards and see what Amperages they list for each Voltage, and if it's fairly close for each voltage you could temporarily install the HD supply in the S3 and see if it (the orig. S3) works (of course the OLED display won't display).

But don't leave it in there very long.

If, except for the extra wire for the OLED, there is any difference in the plug pinouts, don't do the swap.

If you don't need the HD supply for a while, you could possibly cannibalize caps from it for the S3 supply to see if that fixes things and then replace them later. Take copious notes on what came from where and went where.

When it's all over, it'll probably be best if you wind up with new caps in both supplies in the places where they were connected between the red and ground and the yellow and ground.

If that HD supply hasn't developed cap problems yet, it probably will down the road, so might as well fix both at once.

And examine the bottoms of both boards carefully to make sure that they both ground in the same places and that nothing will get shorted out when you put the wrong board in. Use all the screws and standoffs, just like it was a permanent installation, and remember the little screw that goes in from the outside to the top of the AC socket.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
bruceko

I replaced the 2200uf 25 volt cap that was deformed. I had high hopes
but it still is doing the same reboots. did not see any other cap that appear to be deformed in any way
Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I replaced the 2200uf 25 volt cap that was deformed. I had high hopes
but it still is doing the same reboots. did not see any other cap that appear to be deformed in any way
Did you ever check it with a voltmeter?