TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
digdug

OTA NBC Bay Area 11.1 KNTV "To Be Announced"

We left Dtv a several months back for an OTA + Tivo solution. All has been working splendidly until about a month ago.

Channel 11.1 KNTV NBC now only shows "To Be Announced" for all guide data. I can tune to that channel and watch what's there, which comes in great. But I can't use Tivo to schedule recordings.

Anyone else in the Bay Area having this issue? Tivo support has been of no help on this.

I left the satellite
digdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Check your channel list to see what's available and what you have checked. Recently in the Minneapolis market, a couple of channels changed frequency, but now both are listed. On one channel 9.2 for example, there is no picture or audio, but there is guide data and on the other channel 9.2, there is a picture but no guide data, it only ever shows "To Be Announced"
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Nicholsen

KNTV Guide Data

I think this is only my second post, but this board has been extremely helpful in the past. Thanks to all!

For what it's worth, I have a TiVO HD running OTA only in the Bay Area, and I am getting good current guide data for NBC Channel 11 (which is 11.1 OTA).

I don't have any hands on experience with the Premiere hardware, but I suspect it might make sense to (1) force a call in to TiVo server and, if that doesn't help, (2) consider deleting the "to do list and guide data," and let it reboot and rebuild.

Perhaps one of the "old hands" here could give you more specific advice.
Nicholsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Channel 11.1 KNTV NBC now only shows "To Be Announced" for all guide data. I can tune to that channel and watch what's there, which comes in great. But I can't use Tivo to schedule recordings.

Anyone else in the Bay Area having this issue? Tivo support has been of no help on this.
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago? -- recently, but after the Olympics were over -- on my TiVoHD. IIRC it only lasted a day, and everything went back to normal after the next connection was made.

My TiVoHD shows now that last successful connection was this morning at 5:54am and the system info screen says I have guide data through Monday September 17th. I'm on both Comcast Cable and antenna.

Browsing by channel, I have program information for 11-1 through 4:00 PM Sunday 9/16, Football Night in America. I also have guide data for 11-2.

So it all looks normal again for Zip 94709.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Check your channel list to see what's available and what you have checked. Recently in the Minneapolis market, a couple of channels changed frequency, but now both are listed. On one channel 9.2 for example, there is no picture or audio, but there is guide data and on the other channel 9.2, there is a picture but no guide data, it only ever shows "To Be Announced"
This just happened in Boise, as well. The 2-1, the old frequency, has accurate guide data but no picture or sound. The 2-1, the new frequency, has picture and sound but no guide data, just "TBA". Same for 2-2. I've sent a lineup change message to tivo, to no avail. So I can't really record stuff on CBS or CW (2-1 and 2-2) unless I schedule manual recordings. If anybody has a solution, I'm all ears. I've connected to the Tivo service multiple times since the frequency switch. It doesn't seem to help. I guess I'll try rebooting my tivo.

[edit] Reboot didn't help.

Last edited by justen_m : 09-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Nicholsen

Justen:

Have you tried rerunning guided setup, with a new channel scan for OTA? Perhaps that would resolve the conflict.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholsen View Post
Justen:
Have you tried rerunning guided setup, with a new channel scan for OTA? Perhaps that would resolve the conflict.
Yup, I did that. The channel scan found the channels on the new frequency but no guide data for those channels. The tv station said those of us getting it OTA needed to do a rescan, so I did. Before the rescan I couldn't even tune the new channels. Thanks though.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
digdug

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to run the guided setup again and let the darn thing scan the channels again and pull down data. No dice.

In fact, now 11-1 isn't even showing up in my channel list. I've heard that this can happen when there are big temperature swings in the summer around here (signal falls off a cliff) and Tivo's tuners can't pull a solid enough signal to lock it in. Just seems odd though.

I'll rescan later on and see if it shows up again. I'm wondering why it's just that one channel though?

I left the satellite
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Nicholsen

DigDug:

Are you using a outdoor VHF/UHF antenna?

NBC is the only major (perhaps only) local VHF channel after the digital conversion. It is tough to pull in with a UHF antenna unless you are close.

Even worse, it's not broadcast from Sutro Tower! Its broadcast tower is further south, so an antenna aimed at Sutro is often off axis to pull in an already difficult channel 11 signal.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
digdug

Nicholsen:

Yes, I've got a Winegard HD7698P. It's doing a great job with all of the other channels. In fact, I'm pretty surprised I'm getting such great signals up here in Windsor.

In fact even when the KNTV channel data displayed "TBA", I still got a stellar picture and great sound.

I didn't realize that the channel isn't on Sutro. This may explain the puzzle if the temp inversions are causing mischief with the signal. I'll rescan my channels later tonight and see what comes of it.

I left the satellite
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Dubbadown

I have a similar issue so instead of starting a new thread I will jump on this one. I have Comcast Cable Cards with my Elite and about a week ago I got a message saying that there was a lineup change and I was losing HBO ZONE HD, SHOWTIME 2 HD, and a few of the Starz channels. Well it turns out I wasn't losing them, but they just changed names. So I went and added them and I get the channels fine, but the Guide Data has been stuck on To Be Announced for the last week. The Tivo has connected to the server a few times since so I know its not that. FWIW, my sister is having the same issue so I'm assuming all with Comcast with the Premier in San Jose are having this issue. Can anyone confirm and advise?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
digdug

Update: I rescanned my channels and 11-1 decided to reappear. However, it's still showing as "TBA" in the guide data. Sigh.

The support team at Tivo have been completely unresponsive to my open ticket so far. I've opened a post on their forums hoping to get some attention from them. No dice.

I left the satellite
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
jwmccnn99

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Update: I rescanned my channels and 11-1 decided to reappear. However, it's still showing as "TBA" in the guide data. Sigh.

The support team at Tivo have been completely unresponsive to my open ticket so far. I've opened a post on their forums hoping to get some attention from them. No dice.
I am a fairly new Tivo user and have a Comcast cablecard with a Premiere XL4. Several of the channels in my guide also say "To Be Announced". I also opened a ticket with Tivo and it's been about a month and the same channels still say To Be Announced. Funny thing is, most of the channels have an SD version and an HD version, with some the channel information is accurate and correct on the SD version but says To Be Anoounced on the HD version...and vice versa.....no response from Tivo as to why this is.
jwmccnn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
This just happened in Boise, as well. The 2-1, the old frequency, has accurate guide data but no picture or sound. The 2-1, the new frequency, has picture and sound but no guide data, just "TBA". Same for 2-2. I've sent a lineup change message to tivo, to no avail. So I can't really record stuff on CBS or CW (2-1 and 2-2) unless I schedule manual recordings. If anybody has a solution, I'm all ears. I've connected to the Tivo service multiple times since the frequency switch. It doesn't seem to help. I guess I'll try rebooting my tivo.

Contact the station directly and explain the problem and ask them to contact Tribune Media Services to give them accurate information. I had good luck doing this last year when a couple of sister channels here started changing frequencies. A tech responded to my email and it got corrected. I haven't tried that yet this time because the 2 sub channels in question are only SD versions of HD channels that do have guide data.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Contact the station directly and explain the problem and ask them to contact Tribune Media Services to give them accurate information. I had good luck doing this last year when a couple of sister channels here started changing frequencies. A tech responded to my email and it got corrected. I haven't tried that yet this time because the 2 sub channels in question are only SD versions of HD channels that do have guide data.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give it a try tomorrow!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
digdug

Update:

I was contacted by someone on the Tivo forums. He suggested I plug my zip code into zap2it.com as that's where he said Tivo gets their guide data from. Anyhow, according to zap2it, I'm not supposed to get KNTV 11-1 OTA as I'm too far away.
What can I say? I get the channel, but because Tivo thinks I should not get it, they don't push the guide data. Makes sense.
So i tried a little experiment. I ran the guided setup again, but plugged in a zip code from a city further south that receives the same channels I do, but is closer to the signal source. It worked. I'm not receiving guide data for KNTV 11-1.

I left the satellite
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post

I now have guide data! I contacted the station directly and submitted a lineup change at tivo.com. I'm not sure which one prompted TMS to fix their data.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

Thanks for this thread, definitely very interesting and helpful!
I have a similar issue with "to be announced", but my situation is slightly different.

I live in an apartment building that includes what it calls "free comcast cable." I moved in about six years ago, and back then the "free cable" provided me a decent tier of channels, including most non-premium cable networks. So, I decided to steer clear of Comcast, bought a Tivo and was doing great. Of course, the digital transition changed all that. I lost most of the upper tier channels, i.e. news channels, History, TLC, HGTV, etc. I really didn't mind because I still had local channels, PBS, a few cable networks, and with Netflix, that was plenty of viewing options for my tastes.
Then a few days ago on September 12th, Comcast removed access to what channels I had left, only leaving me with a message on every channel that the digital transition was complete and Comcast digital service was necessary to view any channels. But I had Tivo recan my cable channels and realized I was receiving the OTA digital signals through the cable line!
Only problem is, the channels are correctly labeled (NBC Bay Area 11.1), but none of them have programming info.

Anyone have any tips on fixing the TBA programming guides? Is Comcast required to send an OTA signal through its line, or am I experiencing some fluke?
hasservision is offline   Reply With Quote