Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #421
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why is it so easy for the app to detect that the iPad is jailbroken in the first place? Seems like a poor hack if every app can tell it's been done.
Normally an app will attempt to do something that should fail because of iOS security. If it succeeds, that means the device is jailbroken. To get around this another app would have to intercept these calls and return the expected failure.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #422
overFEDEXed

Xcon alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Wait, so even if I don't own a Stream, the new app won't run on my jailbroken iPad or iPhone?

edit: to answer my own question: yep. I get a message about "unauthorized modifications detected" and then it just closes.
Maybe somebody will come up with something like "xcon Alias" from Cydia.

I have CoxTvConnect and it won't run on my jailbroken iPad without it.

I found xcon alias by accident, but I'm glad because I like watching my live cable programs on my iPad 2
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #423
HiKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard A View Post
Start of the setup screen
How did you get this to work? My stream has been hooked up a couple of hours, white LED is solid. I named the stream in my Tivo.com account (where it showed up automatically). I downloaded the new app [v1.9.1(5014)] & can
can control my XL4 just fine. But no "stream" setup when I connect to XL4 & click the settings wheel. When I try to connect to the Stream from the "Box Name" list, I get "not been authorized to accept network-based remote controls".

The XL4 works as a MoCa gateway to second XL4 in another room. The stream is on a gigabit wired network also connected to the XL4 (a couple of switches away -- all gigabit wired, all same subnet, all same DHCP server).

ANy thoughts?

BTW: I find this more troubling that the case of the missing app. Oh well...
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #424
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
How did you get this to work? My stream has been hooked up a couple of hours, white LED is solid. I named the stream in my Tivo.com account (where it showed up automatically). I downloaded the new app [v1.9.1(5014)] & can
can control my XL4 just fine. But no "stream" setup when I connect to XL4 & click the settings wheel. When I try to connect to the Stream from the "Box Name" list, I get "not been authorized to accept network-based remote controls".

The XL4 works as a MoCa gateway to second XL4 in another room. The stream is on a gigabit wired network also connected to the XL4 (a couple of switches away -- all gigabit wired, all same subnet, all same DHCP server).

ANy thoughts?

I'm not a 100% sure I have not got home yet to play with my stream. But you might need to go into the settings menu on tivo and turn on network controls
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #425
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:

ANy thoughts?

Log into tivo.com, select the "My Tivo" tab, select Device Preferences under My Account, and make sure you've checked "Video Sharing" and "Enable video downloads" for each Tivo. If they were unchecked, it may take a while for it to take effect. If the were already checked, then you've got a different problem.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #426
HiKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
Log into tivo.com, select the "My Tivo" tab, select Device Preferences under My Account, and make sure you've checked "Video Sharing" and "Enable video downloads" for each Tivo. If they were unchecked, it may take a while for it to take effect. If the were already checked, then you've got a different problem.
I can stream just fine between the XL4s. I can control the XL4s from the TiVo app. There is no sharing setting for the Stream @ tivo.com. Anything else you can think of?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #427
compnurd

Reboot the Stream?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #428
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
I can stream just fine between the XL4s. I can control the XL4s from the TiVo app. There is no sharing setting for the Stream @ tivo.com. Anything else you can think of?
Saw this on tivo.com: "On your TiVo DVR, allow the iPad to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting. From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control. "
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #429
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
I'm not a 100% sure I have not got home yet to play with my stream. But you might need to go into the settings menu on tivo and turn on network controls
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
Saw this on tivo.com: "On your TiVo DVR, allow the iPad to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting. From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control. "
yes that's what I had seen before
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #430
jrtroo
User

Did you try to reboot your boxes/iPad/router?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #431
sbiller

Quote:

ANy thoughts?

The App is 2.0?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #432
morac
Cat God

Quote:
That's your problem. The new app is v2.0. v1.9.1 is the old app.

Sometimes it takes awhile for Apple to actually push out app updates to all of it's mirror servers so if you try to grab an update, the moment it's released, you might get an old version. Try checking for an update again in the App Store.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #433
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's weird. When I first saw the post that said the app was updated I immediately refreshed my iPad and saw an update. I saw that it was still 1.9.1 with a release date of April, but I thought someone just forgot to change the version number so I updated anyway. Just checked again and now it's offering 2.0. So there must have been some sort of glitch on Apple's side. (saw this a few weeks ago with another app that kept offering an update to the same version over and over)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #434
HiKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
The App is 2.0?
Bingo. It seems TiVo re-released the *old* app today, before releasing the *new* app. I installed the updated the app, release date Sept 5, I assumed it would be the new app. Sorry for the noise. (And wondering how else they can screw up an app update...)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #435
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Bingo. It seems TiVo re-released the *old* app today, before releasing the *new* app. I installed the updated the app, release date Sept 5, I assumed it would be the new app. Sorry for the noise. (And wondering how else they can screw up an app update...)
It's not TiVo it's Apple. Apple tends to show an update being available for an app prior to the app actually being updated. This usually only lasts a few minutes, but I've had this last for over 24 hours for some apps.

In my case, when I went to grab the TiVo 2.0, update on my iPhone I went to read the release notes and they showed the 1.9.1 release notes. I knew this was wrong, so I tapped the update button again and the notes changed to 2.0. I then updated and version 2.0 installed.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #436
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
xCon might work. If not, it may be able to be added.
Yeah, I already have xCon installed to get around the jailbreak detection in some of my other apps, but it's not working for the new TiVo app. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it can be updated to work around this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #437
Dan203
Super Moderator

1:00pm and still no UPS. Why is it that UPS always takes their time when I'm anxiously awaiting something? Other times they drop stuff off early in the morning, but not when I'm waiting on something important.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #438
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah, I already have xCon installed to get around the jailbreak detection in some of my other apps, but it's not working for the new TiVo app. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it can be updated to work around this.
There's instructions on the xCon install page on Cydia for reporting an app you want added. I can't do it right now because I'm on my phone, though.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #439
smbaker

I just updated. Stream setup has found the stream and is "checking software version".

ETA: ... and now it's up and running and streaming.

Last edited by smbaker : 09-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #440
avg99

Wow got my stream 10:30a got it all hooked up and no stream called tech support they told me weren't sure but give it 12 hrs to download new firmware maybe it needed. I told them how un happy the "winners" would be and just got a well give it 12 hrs, I too then email Margaret and told how disappointed I and many others would probably be of not being able to use the stream. Even though I'm not very happy it won't run jailbroken. I'm glad and it's obviously margaret got some real pull and cares about us to get this corrected within a couple hours of the earliest deliveries makes me happy. Stream works great really like it it's for the kids mostly!
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #441
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
There's instructions on the xCon install page on Cydia for reporting an app you want added. I can't do it right now because I'm on my phone, though.
looks like it's already been reported

https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues/issues
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #442
generaltso

My Stream seems to crash every time I try to use any trick play functions. The only way to get it to start streaming again is to reboot it. Anyone else?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #443
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Botching new releases is par for the course for TiVo unfortunately these days, starting with the Premiere. By most accounts the initial release of the "Mini" will also have some stupid initial requirements at launch in order to support Live TV which a lot of people don't care about, so seems to be heading for a rocky launch as well.
Yep. Let's just shut out 99.9% of prospective customers at launch.

Different topic, though.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #444
overFEDEXed

Email

Quote:
looks like it's already been reported

https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues/issues
I emailed him about an issue that I had with xcon and CoxTV connect. He emailed me back pretty quick with some helpful info.

Turns out it was something that Cox had done on their end. It works great now.

Also, I went ahead a bought the xCon Alias. I was glad to donate some money because this program really helped me out.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #445
jmpage2

Got home and the Stream was on the doorstep. Setup was a snap, I simply plugged it into my network, downloaded the TiVo app, and the app discovered the Stream and did the rest.. took about 10 minutes for the Stream to update software and auto-configure itself.

Watched a couple of things so far and the quality looks quite good. Trick play controls working very well too... It is very responsive... makes my Sling app on the iPad look slow as molasses by comparison and the quality on the Sling is not as good either.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #446
Philmatic

Quote:
xCon might work. If not, it may be able to be added.
Quote:
I sent a note to the xCon developer, hopefully he/she can add the TiVo app pretty quickly.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #447
falken98

Quote:
Wait, so even if I don't own a Stream, the new app won't run on my jailbroken iPad or iPhone?

edit: to answer my own question: yep. I get a message about "unauthorized modifications detected" and then it just closes.
Thanks for letting us know. I know not to update my app, and not buy a stream.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #448
techbri

Fricken UPS!

I pre-ordered the Stream and it shipped yesterday via UPS Next Day Air. Unfortunately, it went to the Louisville, KY sort facility last night and got left there in error so it's rescheduled for delivery tomorrow. #$%^
techbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #449
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg99 View Post
Wow got my stream 10:30a got it all hooked up and no stream called tech support they told me weren't sure but give it 12 hrs to download new firmware maybe it needed. I told them how un happy the "winners" would be and just got a well give it 12 hrs, I too then email Margaret and told how disappointed I and many others would probably be of not being able to use the stream. Even though I'm not very happy it won't run jailbroken. I'm glad and it's obviously margaret got some real pull and cares about us to get this corrected within a couple hours of the earliest deliveries makes me happy. Stream works great really like it it's for the kids mostly!
My TiVo seemed to have a problem finding the Stream at first as well. I waited a little while but it just didn't seem to find it. Rebooted the router - still no joy... On a lark, I opened my router console and pinged the Stream. Once I did that the TiVo app found the device right away. I am not sure if it was the "ping" or just enough time has passed, but everything seems to be working great now.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #450
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yep. Let's just shut out 99.9% of prospective customers at launch.

Different topic, though.
I think your stats are a little off - especially since tablets are really the target devices, phones are an added value. But I am sure Android will be available soon.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote