Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't know about "staged," but keep in mind that the producers have been accepting "nominations" for hotels to be on the show since last September. It's not as if Ramsay suddenly appears unexpectedly at the hotel.
I don't think that was ever in doubt. All shows have appeals for candidates in the press (trade papers, mostly) and even during/at the end of the show as it airs.

Even Restaurant:Impossible has this at the end.

I know that the episode of Kitchen Nightmares featuring an Indian restaurant in Manhattan was actually closed by health officials before it was filmed. The show gave the impression that it was still open and even showed a service!

On another point...

There was a note on the screen at the end that said the Cambridge was closed in June due to the bank calling in the debt. It also said that Scooter was looking forward to go to school (or something like that).
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Found Scooter's Facebook-
http://www.facebook.com/donald.telfordiii

And a teeny bit of an interview-
http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopp...d-scholarship/
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Oh cool.

And I really liked how Gordon said he only wanted a loaf of bread as payment for his help. That was nice.

I hope we somehow get a Scooter update once he graduates.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

That was a shame that the place got shut down after Ramsay seemed to make a difference.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #35
Worf

Hopefully Ramsay gets around to fixing hotels that at least aren't so close to shutting down...

Would be nice if they spent several episodes duing the season revisiting those fixed hotels. Perhaps as a post-season wrap up episode.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #36
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Our Fox station was crapping out so much I didn't get to see very much of it.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Hopefully Ramsay gets around to fixing hotels that at least aren't so close to shutting down...
In the case of Cambridge, remember that they were under the impression that the show would air in April, before Fox moved it to early June (which still might have given it a chance to at least ask the bank to delay the foreclosure auction) and then to mid-August.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I know that the episode of Kitchen Nightmares featuring an Indian restaurant in Manhattan was actually closed by health officials before it was filmed. The show gave the impression that it was still open and even showed a service!
Was that the Indian/Irish/Something Else restaurant? If so, I can see why. There were bugs everywhere. One scene showed a produce fridge where roaches had invaded the seal around the door and came pouring out of a crack. Ugh.

I wish he wouldn't go for the freakshows as much. When you have an owner who allows the kitchen to covered in mold and grime and infested with bugs, there's no fix possible. If he doesn't realize that situation is unacceptable, Rasmsey telling him isn't going to help. I much prefer the episodes where the owners are just overwhelmed or inexperienced and he shows them better ways of doing it. Then you can see there really is a chance for success. But for the freakshow it will never work out.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
In the case of Cambridge, remember that they were under the impression that the show would air in April, before Fox moved it to early June (which still might have given it a chance to at least ask the bank to delay the foreclosure auction) and then to mid-August.
I didn't know about all that- that's unfortunate.
I can't imagine the frustration the owners and staff were feeling while waiting.
Not that you want to allow things to get to the point where your future hangs on whether or not Fox airs a teevee show, but still.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Umm, isn't that kind of the whole point, just like with Kitchen Nightmares?

(this show really is EXACTLY Kitchen Nightmares, but with hotels instead..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #41
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
Was that the Indian/Irish/Something Else restaurant? If so, I can see why. There were bugs everywhere. One scene showed a produce fridge where roaches had invaded the seal around the door and came pouring out of a crack. Ugh.

I wish he wouldn't go for the freakshows as much. When you have an owner who allows the kitchen to covered in mold and grime and infested with bugs, there's no fix possible. If he doesn't realize that situation is unacceptable, Rasmsey telling him isn't going to help. I much prefer the episodes where the owners are just overwhelmed or inexperienced and he shows them better ways of doing it. Then you can see there really is a chance for success. But for the freakshow it will never work out.
If you want to see that, you have to watch the British version of the show - or Restaurant:Impossible on the Food Network.

The Fox program is all about the freakshow!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #42
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
If you want to see that, you have to watch the British version of the show - or Restaurant:Impossible on the Food Network.

The Fox program is all about the freakshow!
R:I has plenty of freakshow.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #43
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I don't care for the odd naked Gordon scenes. You ain't all that, mister.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Nice of Gordon to offer to pay for that guy's school in episode 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #45
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_a_la_Mode

My blog:
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #46
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Wow! Who can afford to stay at a hotel that charges $800 a night?????

Sure wouldn't get me there for more than one night even if I COULD afford it!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #47
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
THIS!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
DeDondeEs

Quote:

Sure wouldn't get me there for more than one night even if I COULD afford it!
The Downtown part of San Diego has a bunch of weird/old/odd hotels like that. I stayed at the "Horton House" in San Diego once. It was a very weird experience. From here on out, if I am going to pay that much money, I will just stay at one of those newer places along the bay.

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 08-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
1%'ers

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #50
sharkster

Yikes, the brothel hotel (NTTAWWT). I like red, but that was some major red overkill. Seems like these hotel owners are always arrogant pr!cks. Guess that's what they want but I'd like to see some variety.

For $800 a night I'd totally expect cleanliness, ironed sheets, an environment that didn't make me dizzy, and top notch food. That guy didn't seem to see that his vision was his alone and it didn't make it worth the money to others.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
sharkster

Does anybody know anything about whatever the controversy was that delayed the premiering of this show?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #52
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

It's easy to find the Keating hotel in San Diego on Hotels.com It's overall rating is 4 stars plus out of 5
I looked up ratings going back to 2010 thru the present.

The people who left detailed reviews spoke of high prices including valet parking but precious llittle about any of the other things mentioned by Ramsay.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #53
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Surprised Gordon on got nude in the first hour of the finale and not the second.

I was cringing when he stepped into the shower barefoot. What was he thinking? I always wear shower shoes when I am out.

All the seminal and saliva stains were making me sick. I would be afraid to do that to any room I am staying in. Sometimes there are things I just don't want to know.

Having Gordon as your wing-man can really bring the ladies to you. I don't think any one of them would've given that owner a 2nd look without Gordon and the cameras there.

And in the end, I am still confused how he is really turning hotel's around. He brings in a crew to clean up the places, and he fixes their food, but is he teaching them how to actually run a hotel? That seems to be the biggest issue, and I don't remember him doing anything in that area.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #54
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
And in the end, I am still confused how he is really turning hotel's around. He brings in a crew to clean up the places, and he fixes their food, but is he teaching them how to actually run a hotel? That seems to be the biggest issue, and I don't remember him doing anything in that area.
Well, there was that guy who got trained like a bad dog. Gordon flew in a hospitality expert to teach him how to greet guests and deal with people.

My blog:
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
inaka

I think the black light test is a bit unfair. Yes, it's nasty and disgusting, but I bet if you take the same black light to a beadspread at Caesars Palace in Vegas, you'd see a lot of the same things. I liek to think the sheets are clean, but I always treat the top of any hotel bedspread like it's reactor four at Fukushima.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #56
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I would lay money that black light test was staged.

Actually, I would bet most of it is.

By the last episode, I was done with this show and the same stupid format. And seeing naked Ramsey. You are NOT all that and a bag of chips.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #57
inaka

Yeah, I pretty much start with the premise that all of this crap is staged, and I just watch it for the entertainment value alone. But I do think that one chef who collapsed and fainted wasn't faking it.

It's also interesting to see the little ear piece that Ramsay has in his ear the entire time during Hotel Hell, Hell's Kitchen, etc. This is nothing new either as I see it in other similar shows like Tabatha's Takeover, etc. but you know the producers are just feeding him not only lines, but angles like what to order that looks the worst from behind the scenes cameras, etc.

That said, I hate it how no matter what Ramsay orders for dinner, he said it's horrible. There were a few times that the food actually looked good, and the only thing I could see (since I can't taste it) is that the food was pretty juicy looking and he'd say it was dry. Huh?

But again, it's all staged entertainment so I take it with a grain of salt, no pun intended.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #58
Worf

Then again, if the hotels were any good, they won't be on the show. I'm sure there's a ton more hotels they filmed but it didn't have the needed effect - perhaps the food was good (or decent, or edible). perhaps the room was clean and acceptable (though pricey).

We're just seeing the worst of the worst - where the food is terrible, where the accommodations are just barely habitable by humans, etc. Basically hotels worst than a roach motel. There has to be more than 8 or so struggling hotels across the entire US (which has thousands or tens of thousands of inns, motels, hotels, B&Bs, etc).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #59
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
By the last episode, I was done with this show and the same stupid format. And seeing naked Ramsey. You are NOT all that and a bag of chips.
Tell Fox that.

Notice in that press release that they are also taking requests from people who "know of a hotel in serious need of Gordon Ramsay's help." Why do I have a feeling that address is going to be flooded with requests from people who went somewhere and had one bad experience?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #60
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Yeah, I pretty much start with the premise that all of this crap is staged, and I just watch it for the entertainment value alone. But I do think that one chef who collapsed and fainted wasn't faking it.
I couldn't agree more. Arguably the most egregious of these "reality" shows is the "Great escape" How can the so called guards miss the contestant who are being filmed by at least 2 production assistants?

But that said, I agree that there is some entertainment value, Like dare I say, in Pro wrestling.