TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Gab1099

Old tivo image tcd540040

Hi,

Ive been looking in the forum lately, for a way to get an old image of the tivo tcd540040.

I explain, I bought an old tivo series 2 tcd540040. I was planning to use it as a personal video recorder for my training. Actually, I want to plug a video camera to record my training. But when I've received the tivo it was stuck on the welcome screen. I suppose its the hard drive, So I want to put a new hard drive in it just to be able to record, but I need an image. It doesn't need to be a new image since I'm not gonna use it to watch tv... I wont even plug it to an antenna or anything else.

So here I don't really want to buy a brand new image from instantcake, since I'm not even gonna use it... Is there anyway I can make it work without buying an image?

(if I'm not suppose to use the tivo with a camera and if i'm not suppose to talk about it here, I'm sorry I didn't knew it. I will erase my thread)

Thx

Gab
Gab1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab1099 View Post
Hi,

Ive been looking in the forum lately, for a way to get an old image of the tivo tcd540040.

I explain, I bought an old tivo series 2 tcd540040. I was planning to use it as a personal video recorder for my training. Actually, I want to plug a video camera to record my training. But when I've received the tivo it was stuck on the welcome screen. I suppose its the hard drive, So I want to put a new hard drive in it just to be able to record, but I need an image. It doesn't need to be a new image since I'm not gonna use it to watch tv... I wont even plug it to an antenna or anything else.

So here I don't really want to buy a brand new image from instantcake, since I'm not even gonna use it... Is there anyway I can make it work without buying an image?

(if I'm not suppose to use the tivo with a camera and if i'm not suppose to talk about it here, I'm sorry I didn't knew it. I will erase my thread)

Thx

Gab
If the TiVo does not have service it will not record anything, and you would not be in trouble using a camera with any TiVo if you could make it work for you. Even with service the TiVo has to call home about every 30 days to stay active (some TiVos and some software versions do not require this call home every 30 or so days)
To try to get your image go to this part of this form http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...388695&page=21

Good luck

Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Gab1099

By that you mean, if my tivo does not have the service, he will not let me record the upcoming image from my camera? So I have to get the service in any way, or if I'm lucky I can just get an special version of the image that will let me start the tivo without having the service (by that I mean the version will not ask for a communication every 30 days to let me use it). In that way ill be able to plug my camera and record?

Thx
Gab1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
poppagene
User

A series one Tivo will allow you to record from a camera without requiring a paid Tivo subscription.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
By that you mean, if my tivo does not have the service, he will not let me record the upcoming image from my camera? So I have to get the service in any way, or if I'm lucky I can just get an special version of the image that will let me start the tivo without having the service (by that I mean the version will not ask for a communication every 30 days to let me use it). In that way ill be able to plug my camera and record?

Thx
The Series 2 will most likely not work for your application, a Series 1 most likely will work for your application.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

Thx
You can call TiVo and give them the TiVo Service Number on the back of the DVR and they can tell you if it has service or not.
If the Tivo does not have service, you will be able to set it up, but it will not record and save the content.
You will be able to record to the live TV buffer, which is only 30 minutes and runs constant. You will be able to FF and RW within this 30 minute buffer.

First thing to do when you get the Tivo is to connect it to a TV and a phone line. Boot it up and see where you are. If the previous owner erased the drive, you'll have to go through guided setup to do anything.
Otherwise, it should boot up to TiVo Central.

If you prepare a new hard drive with an image supplied from here, you will most likely have to go through the guided setup before you can do anything else.
That will require you to plug the Tivo into a phone line and supply a video source.

To record from your camera, connect it to the Tivo's input using composite cables (yellow/red/white) and have it running so that it is sending video to the Tivo. The camera must output a standard NTSC analog video.
Next on the Tivo, redo the guided setup and choose to set it to OTA antenna with a converter box. The Tivo will ask you which converter box and provide a list. Just pick one.
At some point, the Tivo will ask you if you are seeing video. If you are, it should be the video from your camera, and if so, say yes and complete guided setup.

I don't know if this will work, but since you already bought the Tivo, it won't hurt to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Hi,

Thx

Gab
how long did you wait before you think its stuck on the welcome screen? It usually take about 5 minutes for a Tivo to start up.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
NikkiSixx

Did you ever find your image you wanted?
NikkiSixx is offline   Reply With Quote