TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #331
smbaker

Should there be shipping status on this yet? I see 'order placed' on my account, but no shipping status or tracking number yet.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #332
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Should there be shipping status on this yet? I see 'order placed' on my account, but no shipping status or tracking number yet.
Same here. The contest email said that orders could be placed until noon today for arrival on 9/5. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means that ALL orders will ship out today via overnight shipping for delivery tomorrow.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #333
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Same for me... Were you an "actual winner" or did you just pre-order like a lot of us did?

After asking for my email address the CSR made a quick comment that my order would be shipped with general availability. I am sure they surpased the 600 pre order units (basically overnight shipping) very quickly and have been spinning to reconcile the list.

If an actual winner sees that his unit has shipped, that would prove my theory that they at least tried to make this work as planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Same here. The contest email said that orders could be placed until noon today for arrival on 9/5. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means that ALL orders will ship out today via overnight shipping for delivery tomorrow.
To be fair to TiVo, they are only obligated to send the units for actual and true winners of the contest. I do not expect to get mine tomorrow - I am sure that is not what you meant by ALL. You indicated earlier in this thread that you also were not a contest winner.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #334
mikebaratta

Tivo App for Stream?

Was there any mention as to whether the existing Tivo iOS app would be updated to stream from the "Stream" or if it was a separate app?
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #335
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
To be fair to TiVo, they are only obligated to send the units for actual and true winners of the contest. I do not expect to get mine tomorrow - I am sure that is not what you meant by ALL. You indicated earlier in this thread that you also were not a contest winner.
I think you're giving them too much credit. I don't think they really know who the "winners" are. My guess is that they will ship ALL the orders via overnight, or none via overnight. If they were concerned about non-winners placing orders, they would have included some kind of redemption code in the winner emails.

When I placed the order, the TiVo rep didn't ask me if I won. I just said I wanted to pre-order the stream, and she said that it would be delivered on 9/5. That sounds like an obligation to me. That doesn't mean I'm holding my breath.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #336
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaratta View Post
Was there any mention as to whether the existing Tivo iOS app would be updated to stream from the "Stream" or if it was a separate app?
Same app with an update ; see Dave Zatz's review
Quote:
An (upcoming) update to the already highly functional and attractive TiVo iOS app enables Stream connectivity and playback.

drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #337
mikebaratta

thanks drebbe.

Once it works with android it would be great to see if the android app will run on a GoogleTv. A $99 revue running the Tivo app + Tivo Stream seems like a much better setup than a Tivo Stream + a Tivo Mini. IMHO.

Last edited by mikebaratta : 09-04-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added IMHO
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #338
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I think you're giving them too much credit. I don't think they really know who the "winners" are. My guess is that they will ship ALL the orders via overnight, or none via overnight. If they were concerned about non-winners placing orders, they would have included some kind of redemption code in the winner emails.

When I placed the order, the TiVo rep didn't ask me if I won. I just said I wanted to pre-order the stream, and she said that it would be delivered on 9/5. That sounds like an obligation to me. That doesn't mean I'm holding my breath.
But does it mean that if you do not get yours delivered tomorrow that you will come on this forum complaining that TiVo didn't meet some obiligation?

I am not picking on "you" in particular - but I can just see this tempest brewing... I was pretty quick to get my order in - and for me in particular, they did ask me for my email address...

Does that mean they are going to check it against a winners list? I do not know, but if the competition got out of hand, TiVo could easily check registered account email address' against the winners list. That wouldn't be perfect, but it would get them closer then the wild-west situation they are in now.

We will have to wait and see - I suppose it really depends on how many pre-orders they received. Hundreds? Thousands? Makes a big difference.

I would love to know if an actual winner sees his order as shipped...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #339
generaltso

Quote:
But does it mean that if you do not get yours delivered tomorrow that you will come on this forum complaining that TiVo didn't meet some obiligation?
No. But I would probably call TiVo and ask why it didn't arrive on the promised day. If they say that it's because I didn't win the sweepstakes, I'll say "Okay, thanks."
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #340
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
thanks drebbe.

Once it works with android it would be great to see if the android app will run on a GoogleTv. A $99 revue running the Tivo app + Tivo Stream seems like a much better setup than a Tivo Stream + a Tivo Mini. IMHO.
Intersting thought Mike... Has anyone tried to install the current TiVo app on a GoogleTV yet?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #341
mikebaratta

I haven't heard of anyone trying but it should be possible. Android apps should work as long as they don't require certain features.

https://developers.google.com/tv/and...droid_features

Google TV users have had success side-loading many apps. I personally have not tried yet.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #342
button1066

I'm an 'actual winner' and have not received any information on my unit being shipped. The rep when I ordered it said it would get to me on the 5th bu I haven't heard anything else.

In fact the Tivo website does not show the item as being shipped.

Edit: my credit card has not been charged either

They are leaving things pretty late...

Last edited by button1066 : 09-04-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Additional info
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #343
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does that mean they are going to check it against a winners list? I do not know, but if the competition got out of hand, TiVo could easily check registered account email address' against the winners list. That wouldn't be perfect, but it would get them closer then the wild-west situation they are in now.
They can't really do that since it's possible that a real winner used a different email address for the contest then they used for their account. There were no provisions in the original contest that said your email had to match the one used for your TiVo account.

My guess is it's going to be first come first serve. The first 600 people who got their orders in will get it tomorrow. Everyone else will have to wait for general availability. (assuming more then 600 people even ordered them)

Honestly I bet it's not even a big deal. Given the price point, the iOS limitation and the fact that most average users don't even know the Stream exists yet I bet they didn't even get 600 orders.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #344
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They can't really do that since it's possible that a real winner used a different email address for the contest then they used for their account. There were no provisions in the original contest that said your email had to match the one used for your TiVo account.

My guess is it's going to be first come first serve. The first 600 people who got their orders in will get it tomorrow. Everyone else will have to wait for general availability. (assuming more then 600 people even ordered them)

Honestly I bet it's not even a big deal. Given the price point, the iOS limitation and the fact that most average users don't even know the Stream exists yet I bet they didn't even get 600 orders.

Dan
If you are correct and they received less then 1000 orders, then I suspect they will just send them all out with what effectivley amounts to a free overnight shipping upgrade. If they received significantly more, then I think you may see them get creative.

Time will tell... In any case, it was a poorly designed contest - they were looking for a social media buzz and it may have turned into a headache.

A simple sequence number on the emails would have avoided these issues.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #345
generaltso

Quote:
In any case, it was a poorly designed contest - they were looking for a social media buzz and it may have turned into a headache.
You can say that again. Now if the winners of this poorly designed contest don't even end up getting the product before it's generally available, it will really be headache for TiVo. In the end, the only thing that people really "won" was the privilege of paying full price plus shipping to get the product 1 day early. If that doesn't materialize, I think there will be a lot of irate "winners". But I still believe that TiVo will ship out ALL pre-orders today via overnight shipping. With general availability scheduled for 9/6, I can't imagine they don't have the stock for it.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #346
innocentfreak

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/04/t...scoder-review/

Engadget's review is up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #347
jmpage2

Quote:
You can say that again. Now if the winners of this poorly designed contest don't even end up getting the product before it's generally available, it will really be headache for TiVo. In the end, the only thing that people really "won" was the privilege of paying full price plus shipping to get the product 1 day early. If that doesn't materialize, I think there will be a lot of irate "winners". But I still believe that TiVo will ship out ALL pre-orders today via overnight shipping. With general availability scheduled for 9/6, I can't imagine they don't have the stock for it.
I agree. There is no way that TiVo only did a production run of 600 units. Even if the Stream is simply a holdover until this functionality gets built into a next gen TiVo (which is very likely IMO) they would have had to do a production run in the thousands in order to have adequate supply for the initial demand as well as stocking retail like Best Buy.

I suspect that they will sell these now and then closer to the holidays they will probably offer a bundle that throws a Stream in free with the purchase of a new XL4 TiVo.... then, a hardware refresh next summer that throws the Stream functionality right into the TiVo itself, which is where it should have been from the get-go.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #348
drebbe
Carbon Blob

My order history now says, "Processing Order" and no longer gives me the option to cancel the order. The charge now shows up on my credit card as pending. I was not a "winner" (at least in TiVo's eyes).
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #349
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Keep in mind that if they are shipping Fedex overnight they have until at least 8:30 PM PDT to get them to Fedex to make today's shipment. That's 11:30 PM here on the east coast.

BTW, my order status now says "Processing Order". Earlier it was just "Order Placed".
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #350
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
My order history now says, "Processing Order" and no longer gives me the option to cancel the order. The charge now shows up on my credit card as pending. I was not a "winner" (at least in TiVo's eyes).
Same here.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #351
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
Mine has also gone to 'processing'. This happened sometime between when I posted earlier this morning and now.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #352
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Mine has also gone to 'processing'. This happened sometime between when I posted earlier this morning and now.
Mine is as well...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #353
button1066

Quote:
Mine is as well...
My status is also updated. Looks like I'll be getting my new gadget tomorrow as planned.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #354
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
Looks like I'll be getting my new gadget tomorrow as planned.
Assuming they really are shipping them overnight. I'm assuming they are.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #355
Dan203
Super Moderator

My status has also changed. I'm so excited!

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #356
shfawaz

Just got a UPS Quantam Delivery notice indicating the shipment will be here tomorrow overnight. Woo Hoo! Can't wait. I was NOT a winner and placed my order Saturday.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #357
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
thanks drebbe.

Oooh, that is a very good idea. Never even thought of that before. Of course, we don't know what resolutions will be supported in the Android app(s)... and it could be a bummer if you are stuck with 720P tablet-type resolution on your big 52" Google-TV.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #358
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Oooh, that is a very good idea. Never even thought of that before. Of course, we don't know what resolutions will be supported in the Android app(s)... and it could be a bummer if you are stuck with 720P tablet-type resolution on your big 52" Google-TV.
Seems like the TiVo Mini would be much better suited for displaying on a large TV (using MRS and no transcoding involved).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #359
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

I got my Stream shipping notice. I was not a "contest" winner.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #360
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
I got my Stream shipping notice. I was not a "contest" winner.
Same here.