TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
pinesbrook

HD upgrade, replacing Series 2?

Hi all. Your patience and help is appreciated in advance! I've searched the forums and the rest of the net, but I still can't seem to nail the best solution to this probably typical issue, at least not in a way I can fully understand, yet.

I've had the Humax DVD-R/RW Recorder/TiVo Series2 DVR Combo for many years. Feels like it's getting near its last legs - quirky behavior now and then, and a mildly noisier hard drive, but nothing catastrophic yet.

What's catastrophic is that I finally, finally, got around to getting an HDTV! After years of only thinking about it. But I guess I should have thought more about it, since it opens up a can of worms now that it's up and running.

I have Verizon FIOS. And now this big HDTV. But the TiVo/Humax box isn't loving this, of course. I'm running out of the cable box with S-Video cables into the TiVo, since there is no HDMI in, and at least until later tonight, I ran out of component cables. So as a result, I'm getting a not-great SD signal to this great TV (component cables from TiVo to TV.) A Blu-Ray player running totally separately, purely with HDMI, looks great. But everything else looks worse than it did on my 8 year old SD TV.

I see now there are complications. I dig TiVo and particularly love the DVD burner integrated. But at what cost (picture-wise)?

I'm seeing now, so many years after getting that Humax Series2, there is an HD option there with TiVo? So I can run HDMI out of the cable box into the TiVo and then run HDMI out to the TV. But is there any new box like that that can also burn DVDs of recordings? I'm assuming that if a newer TiVo box is storing HD files, burning SD DVDs becomes an issue. Cake and eat it too?

Anyone else have something very similar? Recommendations?

Thanks so much.
pinesbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

The HD Tivos have been around for about 6 years now. None of the HD units have the built in DVD drive. You do not need and can not use a cable box with the HD units, you need to get a Cable Card from the cable company. If you would still like to burn DVD's, you can transfer non-copy protected material to your computer using Tivo Desktop, and then edit and burn them with the purchase of Video Redo.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
pinesbrook

Thanks very much for your reply, makes sense to me.

Is Video Redo just a specific product you prefer and recommend, or are options scarce in that department - does TiVo Desktop transfer files over in some arcane format? My concern generally about TiVo Desktop and using a computer to burn DVDs from TiVo is how more time it must take especially over the in-the-background option the Humax had.

Would it be unwise to consider a standalone DVD recorder added to the mix, if that added cost is not a great concern?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

You could still keep your Humax for DVD burning purposes since that is more convenient than the PC transfer method.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
pinesbrook

Indeed, thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
moedaman

If the dvd burner is wonky, new Magnavox HDD dvd recorders are once again available from walmart.com. A 320gb HDD model is only $228 before sales tax and you can get free "to store" shipping. I feel that HDD dvd recorders are better due to being able to edit your recordings on them. I'm still using a Panasonic DMR-EH75V that I bought in early 2007, and I still love it.
moedaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
wml1950

The built-in TiVo burners are great. I use one regularly. It is much easier to use than the computer software transfer for standard definition. I would suggest staying with the built-in tv burner for std def. in addition, consider a software program by Roxio (for Apple it is called Toast). If you use a high def TiVo and attach a blue ray burner to computer, you can burn high def shows in blu ray. This methods allows quick burn for standard def and an advanced method for blu ray. Just make sure that tv provider does not have copyright protection on shows that you want to burn.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
saravakar1510

thanks a lot.... thanks for your information... very much useful for me.... keep on posting...:-)
saravakar1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
saravakar1510

hey really nice story.... nice one... interesting story.... keep on posting...:-)
saravakar1510 is offline   Reply With Quote