TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Biggest Loser News **SPOILERS**

You knew it would happen eventually. Guess who's back?

Jillian Michaels Returns to Biggest Loser in January 2012

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Interesting. Not too bad of a "twist", having kids compete for their teams to get healthy but not be eligible for elimination.

Only if the article said Jan 2013 though
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah someone screwed up. She's returning in 2013, remember she DIDN'T return in 2012. Here's the People version.

http://www.people.com/people/article...626567,00.html

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Today Show link, with video.

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...d-obesity?lite

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Nice. I loved the season where she pulled up on the motorcycle, all in leather, to secretly train the un-picked team.

Looking forward to having her back.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
laria
Librocubicularist

I'm ambivalent. I hope she tones down the attempts to psychoanalyze everyone.

I'm bummed there is no fall season this year. I guess maybe they waited too long to renew it?

I still miss the feeling of the earlier seasons... it has lost something as the years have gone on.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I still miss the feeling of the earlier seasons... it has lost something as the years have gone on.
Personally, I think NBC's running scared. Two seasons ago they started the Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, which I liked because the concept was so radically different. It was fairly successful, then last season they revamped it, copying a LOT of TBL's stuff. It's now 2 hours long, and it has a significant amount of crying now. Gravitas in weigh-ins, trainer tips (which they didn't do before), gratuitous shots of the trainer with his shirt off, etc.

With all the changes, NBC's gotta be worried about the competition.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
I'm ambivalent. I hope she tones down the attempts to psychoanalyze everyone.
This, I'd prefer watching Anna do not much than have to hear Jillian again.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Personally, I think NBC's running scared. Two seasons ago they started the Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, which I liked because the concept was so radically different. It was fairly successful, then last season they revamped it, copying a LOT of TBL's stuff. It's now 2 hours long, and it has a significant amount of crying now. Gravitas in weigh-ins, trainer tips (which they didn't do before), gratuitous shots of the trainer with his shirt off, etc.

With all the changes, NBC's gotta be worried about the competition.

Greg
I'm not sure about that. EM:WLE is on during the summer and isn't getting very good ratings. Plus, the focus on a single person over the course of a year makes it very different from TBL. I think NBC simply realized that TBL is getting long in the tooth and they wanted to save some time in their fall schedule for new shows. By January, they won't have Sunday Night Football and they'll surely have a few other holes from failed fall series to fill, so there should be plenty of space in the schedule by then.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Glad she's back. The Australian version is still 10x better, even the earlier seasons where Bob and Jillian were the trainers.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
sharkster

Smart move, sez me.

I quit the show two seasons ago and have never looked back. I have had the vibe that a lot of others left it too, so they might have a lot of return viewers with bringing her back in. Not saying I quit ONLY because she was leaving. In fact that was a microscopic part of it, actually. I just got tired of the same old stuff season after season.

I think I'll stay quit, however, as I have enough shows to watch.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think NBC simply realized that TBL is getting long in the tooth and they wanted to save some time in their fall schedule for new shows.
They didn't even decide to renew it until mid-May... I think it was just too late to do casting and start filming in time for a Fall premiere.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
They didn't even decide to renew it until mid-May... I think it was just too late to do casting and start filming in time for a Fall premiere.
I'm sure that's part of it. But given how much the ratings fell over the last year or so, I'm guessing they realized that trying to milk two seasons per year out of it probably wasn't doing it any favors. Maybe, by limiting it to one season this year, and bringing back Jillian, they'll be able to increase the ratings from last spring.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

What they need to do is restructure the game. In so many seasons, it all about alliances, etc, that the people you really want to see succeed get shafted by a bunch of slack people that just decide to stick together.. they need to twist the rules or do like they do in Australia where they mix in all kinds of game twists and give eliminated contestants more chances to come back. Temptations like they do in AU would be awesome too but they only have 2 hours a week to work with where AU has 8.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I've always thought that TBL is the type of show where kicking someone off every week is unnecessary and counterproductive. Shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race are perfect for weekly eliminations. Contestants are there to win the whole game, and if they don't win, then 2nd or 6th really isn't a big difference. But on TBL, they're not necessarily there to win the money, they're there to change their lives. Casting someone who weighs 400 lbs on the show and letting them think they're about to experience a significant life change, and then kicking them off after just a week or two seems supremely mean and against the spirit of the show. I'd like to see them figure out a way to keep the contestants on the show the entire time, so they can all get the benefit of the trainers and dieticians for the full time, and then make the weekly challenges lead to weekly prizes rather than leading to weekly eliminations.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
mrdazzo7

I think holding off until January is the right move--they've had back to back seasons for a few years and it seems just about everyone was growing tired of it (especially after last season which seemed to last forever). Giving everyone a breather, bringing back Jillian, and the new concept focusing on overweight teenagers is at least a step in the right direction (of course we'll have to see if they change any of their usual BS stuff).

I disagree about not doing eliminations though. Maybe they could find some other way to do it but to not have it at all would be a detriment in my opinion. I think a good compromise would be to stop with all the wacky ways they come up with to make the eliminations dramatic--that stuff seems cruel and unnecessary sometimes. Personally I wish they would restructure it so that there are no teams--everyone is on their own from the start. This would eliminate BS and would make things fair across the board. But they won't do that because teams are a part of the show.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Sadara
huh?

Jillian coming back isn't going to make me start watching it again. I'm done with this show.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

This is GREAT news. I'm still a few seasons behind and haven't caught up to where Jillian leaves yet. I'm not looking forward to watching those seasons. I hated when she left the first time and they hired that horrible Kim girl.

Jillian knows her stuff and even though some people don't like her methods, I would let her train me in a heartbeat!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
mattack

She's a mother of two? Are they hers??

I totally think she makes the show.. (She's more of a man than Bob ever will be.) She's the Simon Cowell of Biggest Loser.

That doesn't mean I didn't watch both shows without "the person", but they're definitely inferior without them.

It does seem so entirely strange that she made a BIG DEAL about quitting the show though.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
She's a mother of two? Are they hers??
One is adopted from Haiti and the other was carried by her partner.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

It does seem so entirely strange that she made a BIG DEAL about quitting the show though.
She trashes the show and the producers pretty regularly on her podcast. Her original podcast (which was actually an AM radio show based in LA) was canceled right after she went on a rant and said some pretty mean things about BL. That was live radio. Her current podcast is recorded.

She has a vision for what she wants to do in life. The problem is that what she wants to do doesn't make good TV. She is much better suited for a show like Losing It but the ratings just didn't support it. Her short stint on The Doctors was short because she doesn't want to be on a show that is full of bad advice and does segments about cankles.

She talks a lot about childhood obesity and has wanted to do something with it for a long time. I am interested to see how BL handles it. I am guessing she only agreed to come back if she could have these changes. She hates a lot of aspects of the show but does acknowledge that it does ultimately help people.