TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #91
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,493
I like the relationship stories. I agree that everything is amped up about 20% over how people normally react in real life, but real life would be boring to watch. Plus, this season seemed to cover a whole year, so although we see Mackenzie having meltdowns a lot, presumably whole months roll by where she is calm.

I liked how they bookended the season with the Northwestern stuff.
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #92
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud

Wasn't the Sex and the City theme also playing during this scene? Not that I ever watched that show, but it sounded familiar.
Yes.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #93
Flop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
A few minutes? I recently renewed my license and it took at least three hours, and my station is as easy as it could possibly be.
If your station is as easy as it could be, what took three hours? I have lived and obtained DLs in 5 states, and it was never hard or burdensome. I have never had a DMV visit take longer than 90 minutes, but that was due to a paperwork snafu on my end. It took me all of 30 minutes to get a new DL when I moved from VA to OK, and that included registering the cars as well. When I moved from CA to VA about 10 years ago, it took about 90 minutes to handle all the paperwork. The bulk of that was waiting on some faxed documents from the company that owned the lease on the vehicle I had at the time. The actual obtaining of a DL was quick and straight forward. I understand from reading the other posts in this thread that other people have a much harder time of it. Maybe the states need to look at simplifying/streamlining the process.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #94
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 21,146
Sorry, "situation", not "station".

90% of the time was spent waiting, 5% driving there, 5% actually renewing it.

And this was mid-morning on a weekday.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #95
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
If your station is as easy as it could be, what took three hours? I have lived and obtained DLs in 5 states, and it was never hard or burdensome. I have never had a DMV visit take longer than 90 minutes, but that was due to a paperwork snafu on my end. It took me all of 30 minutes to get a new DL when I moved from VA to OK, and that included registering the cars as well. When I moved from CA to VA about 10 years ago, it took about 90 minutes to handle all the paperwork. The bulk of that was waiting on some faxed documents from the company that owned the lease on the vehicle I had at the time. The actual obtaining of a DL was quick and straight forward. I understand from reading the other posts in this thread that other people have a much harder time of it. Maybe the states need to look at simplifying/streamlining the process.
A few years ago when I moved to Texas it took me most of a day to get my license transferred to Texas. Then they didn't provide one right there, but mailed it from Austin 6 weeks later. They literally had people assigning waiting rooms to stand in line in Texas. The line was out the door at 8 am, and I managed to be seen around 4, if I recall.

When I moved back to Florida I was pleased that it only took about an hour to reverse all of that.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #96
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
A few minutes? I recently renewed my license and it took at least three hours, and my station is as easy as it could possibly be.



The only time I ever need an ID for purchases is occasionally when traveling. Now it's only buying wine or beer at Target, since they have to scan an ID.

I literally cannot recall a time when I wrote a check to a retail store.
Electronics retailers almost always ask for an ID to go with a non-debit credit card transaction.

Sometimes even Wal-Mart will ask to glance at your ID.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #97
Beryl
Registered User
 
Beryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Sorry, "situation", not "station".

90% of the time was spent waiting, 5% driving there, 5% actually renewing it.

And this was mid-morning on a weekday.
I did this two weeks ago around 1 PM and it it took a little longer waiting and driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

Electronics retailers almost always ask for an ID to go with a non-debit credit card transaction.

Sometimes even Wal-Mart will ask to glance at your ID.
Poor people rarely shop for electronics, they don't have credit cards, but they should be able to vote.

One huge fallacy in the pro-voter ID position is comparison of voting (a right) with unnecessary commerce (alcohol, guns, etc.) You don't need an ID to purchase food with cash. Even homeless people should be able to vote.

Another is comparing it with events where having an ID could prevent a bad thing from happening. We have evidence that people buy things for evil and board aircraft for evil. We don't have evidence that supports disenfranchising population segments.
__________________
HD XL
Premiere
Roamio Plus
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #98
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post

One huge fallacy in the pro-voter ID position is comparison of voting (a right) with unnecessary commerce (alcohol, guns, etc.) You don't need an ID to purchase food with cash. Even homeless people should be able to vote.

Another is comparing it with events where having an ID could prevent a bad thing from happening. We have evidence that people buy things for evil and board aircraft for evil. We don't have evidence that supports disenfranchising population segments.
If voting is important, essential, and necessary to a republic, it should also be verified, just like every other form of business we conduct with the government.

You often need an ID to purchase firearms, and that's an explicit right.


But that ID should be free and easy to acquire.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #99
Beryl
Registered User
 
Beryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

If voting is important, essential, and necessary to a republic, it should also be verified, just like every other form of business we conduct with the government.

You often need an ID to purchase firearms, and that's an explicit right.

But that ID should be free and easy to acquire.
I agree when this happens. It has not happened in states where the voter ID requirement has been proposed.

Firearms and voting - false equivalence because we do have evidence that society is hurt when the wrong people acquire firearms. We don't even have evidence that any voter fraud has even affected election outcomes.
__________________
HD XL
Premiere
Roamio Plus
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #100
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 28,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Electronics retailers almost always ask for an ID to go with a non-debit credit card transaction.

Sometimes even Wal-Mart will ask to glance at your ID.
My first reaction to this is "no, they don't". I can't remember the last time I was asked for ID in this situation.

Which leads me to believe that we're seeing regional differences here.
__________________
Try the original auto-correct: Proofreading.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #101
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I agree when this happens. It has not happened in states where the voter ID requirement has been proposed.

Firearms and voting - false equivalence because we do have evidence that society is hurt when the wrong people acquire firearms. We don't even have evidence that any voter fraud has even affected election outcomes.
It affects the integrity of elections, and in close elections with razor thin margins legitimacy matters most because of the large effect an election can have on public policy.

So yes, depending on who you ask in which election, society can definitely be "hurt" by election fraud, or fraud of any kind.

When Kennedy beat Nixon there were widespread reports of precincts reporting over 100% turnout. That election determined the opening of China to US trade, the end of Vietnam, and the formation of the EPA.

And it's true, not all election fraud is caused by illegitimate voters. Some of it is due to ballot stuffing, invalid registrations, and electronic manipulation.


I also disagree with any kind of centralized federal ID. I prefer to keep it at the state/local level.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
My first reaction to this is "no, they don't". I can't remember the last time I was asked for ID in this situation.

Which leads me to believe that we're seeing regional differences here.
Indeed. It depends on how retailers react to losses from fraud.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #102
smak
TV MA SLV
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NoHo, CA USA
Posts: 16,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
If voting is important, essential, and necessary to a republic, it should also be verified, just like every other form of business we conduct with the government.

You often need an ID to purchase firearms, and that's an explicit right.


But that ID should be free and easy to acquire.
Then why do you think that the states who have implemented these laws (governed by you know which party), don't do the free and easy to acquire thing FIRST?

Makes you wonder, right?

Well, no, because we know why these voter ID laws are being signed into law, in 2012.

-smak-

ps. The Kennedy-Nixon election outcome had nothing to do with voter fraud, even if every deceased person in the state of IL voted twice for Kennedy. I know this because of math.
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #103
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

When Kennedy beat Nixon there were widespread reports of precincts reporting over 100% turnout. That election determined the opening of China to US trade, the end of Vietnam, and the formation of the EPA.
Huh? During Kennedy's term, there was no indication by either party that there was any desire to open trade with China (this was a VERY anti-Communist time). Viet Nam was barely a blip on the radar at that point in time, let alone ENDING a war that had not even really begun yet in earnest, and the EPA was formed by Nixon during his Presidency, but I imagine, that this would have happened anyway, based on the paths the parties took, but certainly wouldn't have happened in the early 60s. And perhaps if Nixon got elected instead of Kennedy, Vietnam never happens, or, we nuke them......China becomes more isolated, and business is less controlled and there IS no EPA. So that's a big leap you took.

As for voter fraud, there's probably questions of that in EVERY close election. And very little has to do with actual voting done by people who aren't supposed to vote. In 2000, you had confusing ballots in FL where masses of legitimate votes were thrown out. In Ohio in 2004, you had all kinds of shenanigans in poor neighborhoods which had NOTHING to do with any of this which might have caused a lot of people who could legitimately vote not to be allowed to, which could have lead to Ohio going to Bush. And there's all kinds of questions around electronic voting machines and their accuracy. I think this voter ID is just the reintroduction of the Poll tax and other forms of keeping those without means from voting.

And wouldn't you think, if someone wanted to commit voter fraud bad enough, they'd find a way to get an illegal id? (sounds a lot like the gun argument that if someone wanted to commit a gun crime, they'd find a way to get a gun, doesn't it?)
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #104
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
And it's true, not all election fraud is caused by illegitimate voters. Some of it is due to ballot stuffing, invalid registrations, and electronic manipulation.
This year, most of it will be from legislated suppression.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #105
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
But that ID should be free and easy to acquire.
The problem is that, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, if the ID is free and easy to acquire then it largely defeats its entire purpose. To put the best possible face on it, "easy to acquire" generally means "easy prey for fraud". If you really think there's lots of fraud (which I don't) then instituting a system which is easy to fool won't satisfy you. It will need to be complex in order to ensure its reliability. To put a more cynical (but realistic) face on it, "easy to acquire" means "it doesn't keep out the people we don't want to vote".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I also disagree with any kind of centralized federal ID. I prefer to keep it at the state/local level.
The problem with this is it's trivially simply to disenfranchise people, as we're seeing this year. There needs to be nation-wide standards and requirements, at least.
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #106
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,877
If you look at the fact that all the places the voter id has been implemented is in close but republican leaning areas, its obvious what the agenda is!
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #107
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
This year, most of it will be from legislated suppression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
The problem with this is it's trivially simply to disenfranchise people, as we're seeing this year. There needs to be nation-wide standards and requirements, at least.
While I won't disagree that some in politics aim to suppress voter participation, that doesn't trump the need for base-level security. Here in St Louis County, I am required to show my ID to vote. The address on my ID has to match the address on the records kept by the county. I have to sign my name next to my printed name and address in the county log book.

Voter turnout is on par with the rest of the country. Contrary to concerns, no disenfranchisement en masse has occurred, and St Louis leans Democratic.


And yes, this is a state where acquiring a government-issued photo ID is cheap and easy to do with wait times typically less than 15 minutes. Many of our DMV offices also happen to be efficiently run by private contractors.



Those who believe voter identification would serve their political agendas are set for disappointment. The vast majority of legitimate voters already have identification, whether its a passport, green card, or driver's license.


Aaron Sorkin is making a mountain out of a molehill. But hey, he's an entertainer after all.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #108
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

While I won't disagree that some in politics aim to suppress voter participation, that doesn't trump the need for base-level security. Here in St Louis County, I am required to show my ID to vote. The address on my ID has to match the address on the records kept by the county. I have to sign my name next to my printed name and address in the county log book.

Voter turnout is on par with the rest of the country. Contrary to concerns, no disenfranchisement en masse has occurred, and St Louis leans Democratic.

And yes, this is a state where acquiring a government-issued photo ID is cheap and easy to do with wait times typically less than 15 minutes. Many of our DMV offices also happen to be efficiently run by private contractors.

Those who believe voter identification would serve their political agendas are set for disappointment. The vast majority of legitimate voters already have identification, whether its a passport, green card, or driver's license.

Aaron Sorkin is making a mountain out of a molehill. But hey, he's an entertainer after all.
Well then explain all the other little tricks republicans have trying to do like closing early polls the 3 days before the election when primarily black distracts evangelize the vote through the Sunday mass or closing polls at different times in Ohio IE republican districts get to stay open longer than democratic districts. Basically from what I can see they are playing numbers in the trenches game. Some of these tricks have been overturned but not all and the simple fact they even happened is an indicator of things.

Given the 2000 election was decided by only hundreds of votes in Florida this is more than a molehill.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #109
inaka
Registered User
 
inaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 9,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Aaron Sorkin is making a mountain out of a molehill. But hey, he's an entertainer after all.
Let's see: Potential voter disenfranchisement in an election where swing states are the key, in a country where in 2000 the guy who won literally lost the popular vote but won based on an unprecedented Supreme Court ruling in a key swing state, with a "solution" being raised to a problem that doesn't exist, where these key swing states just happen to all be governors of the same party, and where one key member of that party is on video saying "Voter ID laws are going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania. Done." ....that's a mountain out of a molehill? Wow...who cares, it's only someone else's vote, right?
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #110
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Well then explain all the other little tricks republicans have trying to do like closing early polls the 3 days before the election when primarily black distracts evangelize the vote through the Sunday mass or closing polls at different times
I dont like the Republicans, especially lately, and I don't care for those tactics. Likewise, far-left Democrats (Black Panthers) have been caught standing outside of polling places intimidating people as they enter polling places.

No matter who does it, it's not right.

I'm also aware of fraud (not necessarily ID-related) and intimidation perpetrated by people who align themselves with both parties.


Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Let's see: Potential voter disenfranchisement in an election where swing states are the key, in a country where in 2000 the guy who won literally lost the popular vote but won based on an unprecedented Supreme Court ruling in a key swing state, with a "solution" being raised to a problem that doesn't exist
Polling places that request ID show no real or statistically significant evidence of voter disenfranchisement. I live in a region/metro area that leans Democratic. This is Clay/Carnahan/Gephardt country. Our large population of Bosnian and Mexican immigrants aren't discouraged from participating simply because they need an ID.


You don't have to be white, male, a Protestant, or a land owner. You just need to prove that your name and address match the registration database. There's no TSA-style pat down or further snooping into your personal information. You simply have to show that you are the person you claim to be in the registration data.

On one hand, you have some Democrats who think people will be disenfranchised en masse, and they believe that among those people are illegal immigrants without papers who would be historically inclined to vote Democratic.
On the other hand, you have some Republicans who think voter ID will suppress a mass quantity of fraudulent illegal immigrant Democrat voters or minorities in general.


They're both wrong.


Few illegal immigrants are willing to risk being identified by going to the polls or interacting at all with police/government, but the possibility of fraud could and should be prevented if the solution is simple. An overwhelming majority of voters already carry a form of valid identification, so any negative consequences of ID requirements are greatly exaggerated.




And in case anyone cares, I'm a brown immigrant, a former Democrat, and a former Republican who votes straight "Libertarian" down the ballot.


Sorkin is a liberal Democrat playing to his side, and that's well within his right. He's not a journalist, he's a writer and producer of fictional programs. This is why "balance" is necessary in newsmedia, because what some claim to be "the truth" is still filtered through limited perceptions.

Additionally, most political issues aren't about the presence or absence of facts. Even when you have all of the raw pieces of information, what you choose to do with it has to do with the principles, belief systems, and assumptions about the deeper aspects of human nature that comprise feuding ideologies.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #111
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,804
Voter turnout in America tends to be low. I googled those counties you mention, but couldn't find them. I found a Robin Carnahan predicting 25% voter turnout in Missouri, though. Think about that. 25% of registered voters will actually vote.

How many do you have to discourage to affect that election? 1%?
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #112
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe
 
kaszeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grantham, NH
Posts: 20,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
See, that seems weird to me. I need my ID so rarely that when I fly I have to dig through my wallet to find it because it tends to migrate toward the middle of the card pile from lack of use.
This. Pretty much the only place that I ever get asked is the airport (TSA, and sometimes baggage claim, since one of my travel cases looks like, but is not, a pistol case)

Bank? Nope, unless for some reason I'm getting a huge amount of cash (although I mostly use ATMs and online banking)

Checks? Extremely rare. Not sure it's ever happened here.

Voting? Nope (although the voting clerks here know most of the town by sight)

Only non-airport time I could think of in recent history was purchasing cold medicine.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #113
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe
 
kaszeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grantham, NH
Posts: 20,140
Getting back to the show... I'm not sure about the whole Don/Maggie thing anyways. He's a senior producer, and ~10 years older than her. I thought that whole thing was a bit contrived.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #114
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Getting back to the show... I'm not sure about the whole Don/Maggie thing anyways. He's a senior producer, and ~10 years older than her. I thought that whole thing was a bit contrived.
They were dating before the show started, when Maggie was just a secretary, not yet promoted to assistant producer. So other than the age thing, I don't see it a problem, because she wasn't really under his management.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #115
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Getting back to the show... I'm not sure about the whole Don/Maggie thing anyways. He's a senior producer, and ~10 years older than her. I thought that whole thing was a bit contrived.
The age doesn't throw me off. Don is a popular figure who routinely dates younger women.

What makes the relationship implausible are their completely incompatible personalities with zero romantic chemistry.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #116
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
Like I said, I'm kind of shocked so many people don't have ID out there.
As for the elderly being disenfranchised, about 10 years ago my doctor's office started asking for ID because of health insurance fraud (people claiming to be someone else who had insurance when seeing a doctor, mostly done by illegal immigrants from Mexico, South America, and Asia). I've switched providers and the new one does the same thing.

I do agree that if they insist these laws be passed, that first and foremost getting an ID be affordable and efficient. If someone like the lady in the episode has issues claiming she is who she says she is that if she get 3 people with proper ID to write affidavits (if caught lying they go to prison for fraud and conspiracy) claiming they know for a fact that this person is who they say they are, be enough for the State to accept. As for convenience or location, allow the USPS, AAA, or court houses to accept said info to request an ID and take photo if needed. The USPS already does passports in some location so you wouldn't even need to buy a camera for them as they have the equipment needed already.

However what this guy is saying is despicable.
Mike Turzai

__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |