TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Cutfirst

Series 3 HD tivo HD problems

I have a HighDef tivo and had a WD external hard drive hooked up through ESata. Has worked great for over 3 years. Then a short time ago the tivo started getting stuck on "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. I researched these forums and the problem seemed to point to a hard drive problem after the initial steps of evaluation failed. My first thought was the tivo hard drive because I have had multiple tivo HD fail in the past. But before I went to gutting my tivo and replacing the internal hard drive, I tried uninstalling the external HD and poof. It would work. So naturally I blamed the external HD and bought a new one ... hooked it up ... and now same problem. Best thought I have now is to blame the ESata port on the tivo itself and I have no clue how to problem shoot that one.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cutfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutfirst View Post
I have a HighDef tivo and had a WD external hard drive hooked up through ESata. Has worked great for over 3 years. Then a short time ago the tivo started getting stuck on "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. I researched these forums and the problem seemed to point to a hard drive problem after the initial steps of evaluation failed. My first thought was the tivo hard drive because I have had multiple tivo HD fail in the past. But before I went to gutting my tivo and replacing the internal hard drive, I tried uninstalling the external HD and poof. It would work. So naturally I blamed the external HD and bought a new one ... hooked it up ... and now same problem. Best thought I have now is to blame the ESata port on the tivo itself and I have no clue how to problem shoot that one.

Any help would be appreciated.
Try a different eSATA cable, maybe several even. It seems that eSATA is not a very robust connection method. And it may also be that some cables happen to fit the TiVo's eSATA connector better than others.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Cutfirst

I did try that. I used both my old Esata and the new one that came with the new external hard drive.

On a completely different note ... anyone interested in a brand spanking new 1TB external hard drive?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutfirst View Post
I did try that. I used both my old Esata and the new one that came with the new external hard drive.

On a completely different note ... anyone interested in a brand spanking new 1TB external hard drive?
You might still want to pull the internal drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it before you assume that it wasn't the problem. Or maybe (as you said) the eSATA port has actually failed somehow. The answer to that would be to stop using it and just upgrade the internal drive.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Cutfirst

Well I am able to remove the external hard drive and wipe the TIVO. Then it all works fine ... albeit with a tiny internal hard drive. Next thought is a new internal hard drive upgrade.