TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
kumaaz99

Connect TIVO Drive to PC

Series 3, WD drive
Can someone tell me what connector/adapter to buy to connect my TIVO hard drive to my pc?
I had an A/C power supply to the expansion drive go bad and now with a new power supply the TIVO will neither recognize it or clear it on boot up.
I've tried everything including KSs and it won't budge. It seems like there's plenty of info on doing a format & loading the image but I'm kind of behind on the latest hardware terminology and I can't find an adapter cord to fit my TIVO drive and connect to the PC (internally)
Any help appreciated.
kumaaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

Check the Tivo Upgrade Center forum. There's a sticky thread that discusses compatible adapters.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Tivo drive on a Series 3 and above are SATA. If your PC is an older model, it may have IDE/PATA and it use a ribbon cable to connect to drives. It may have SATA but you would need to look. You may need a IDE to SATA adapter.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaaz99 View Post
Series 3, WD drive
Can someone tell me what connector/adapter to buy to connect my TIVO hard drive to my pc?
I had an A/C power supply to the expansion drive go bad and now with a new power supply the TIVO will neither recognize it or clear it on boot up.
I've tried everything including KSs and it won't budge. It seems like there's plenty of info on doing a format & loading the image but I'm kind of behind on the latest hardware terminology and I can't find an adapter cord to fit my TIVO drive and connect to the PC (internally)
Any help appreciated.
Is it specifically the Western Digital brand external drive that went bad?

Have you opened up the external enclosure and removed the drive?

Which model (starts with TCD) TiVo do you have?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
kumaaz99

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is it specifically the Western Digital brand external drive that went bad?
Have you opened up the external enclosure and removed the drive?
Which model (starts with TCD) TiVo do you have?
====================
It's a: TCD652160.
I'm still working on the problem of repetative reboot and now believe it's not the drive.
1. Rebooting - put in new drive - lasted 3 months - got drive reformated - lasted another 3 months - just out of warranty.
2. Got new drive & power supply.
Put in new PS wouldn't boot.
Put back old power supply & new drive - booted & worked for 1 month then started rebooting.
2. Put old drive back in and it magically worked good for three days than started RB.
Hooked up new drive and it ok so far, 1 day.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
kumaaz99

Another interesting thing - the initial problem came from an a/c power cord going bad on the external drive. I got the ext drive replaced but since found out how unreliable they are so I went with a 2T hard drive from Weaknees.
The original drive won't recognize the original ext drive or the new one and won't clear. So it seems like the only answer to format it. It's a small drive but would be good to keep for a spare.
Unless someone has had the happen and know a secret way to get TIVO to clear the ext drive.