Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Me too. I just pirate HBO.
DRM: Only punishes the honest people.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #302
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Did your confirmation email list overnight shipping? Mine says ground.
Ground. The sales guy told me it would say that but it would be upgraded when it ships.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #303
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

I can't tell you how much time and energy i have spent trying to get Airvideo to work properly... I have my media library on a Media Smart server and it really bogs down trying to transcode and the quality is terrible. Don't even consider realtime transcoding!!!. I have also tried it from the family desktop, but more often then not it ends up getting interrupted.

I actually considered building a dedicated machine just to transcode and stream videos - you have no idea how many hours and how many tools I have used and tried!

And one more video that I spend an hour transcoding just to have the audio out of sync I will pull out what is left of my hair!

Easy? I don't think so...

A dedicated set and forget solution? Yeah baby!!!
Huh. I've had the opposite experience with Air Video Server (running on a slightly older iMac that doubles as an office computer.)

I can easily stream to my iPad (and MacBooks) at home and from the road. No hiccups, good A/V quality, no sync issues. Realtime encoding works fine for me too. No interruptions.

Maybe my upstream is higher?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #304
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Huh. I've had the opposite experience with Air Video Server (running on a slightly older iMac that doubles as an office computer.)

I can easily stream to my iPad (and MacBooks) at home and from the road. No hiccups, good A/V quality, no sync issues. Realtime encoding works fine for me too. No interruptions.

Maybe my upstream is higher?
I am talking about using it just within my own network!

My HPMediaSmart server is getting pretty long in the tooth, but it really was never designed for that purpose anyway. With a paltry AMD 1.8 GHZ Sempron CPU and 512MB of Ram, it struggles miserably to transcode video...

And while the trusty old family desktop has more horsepower, it still isn't anything to write home about and more importantly it is shared - so counting on it to transcode through an entire movie without interuption isn't reasonable either.

Bottom line, you need a decent third party system to make any solution work properly... I was considering building a system that I could dedicate for the purpose, now I do not have too.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 08-31-2012 at 02:00 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #305
sbiller

Unboxing the TiVo Stream

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/08/...vo-stream.html
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #306
turbobozz

Quote:

My HPMediaSmart server is getting pretty long in the tooth, but it really was never designed for that purpose anyway. With a paltry AMD 1.8 GHZ Sempron CPU and 512MB of Ram, it struggles miserably to transcode video...

And while the trusty old family desktop has more horsepower, it still isn't anything to write home about and more importantly it is shared - so counting on it to transcode through an entire movie without interuption isn't reasonable either.

Bottom line, you need a decent third party system to make any solution work properly... I was considering building a system that I could dedicate for the purpose, now I do not have too.
You could upgrade the intel based HP MSS CPU and RAM yourself... Is that not possible with the AMD based ones?
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #307
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
You could upgrade the intel based HP MSS CPU and RAM yourself... Is that not possible with the AMD based ones?
Yes, it can be upgraded a little - but when I upgrade I am looking at the HP ProLiant Microserver... And now that Microsoft has cancelled the media server product - I need to research small business server as an option.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #308
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even with the upgrade it is still underpowered. I have one of those AMD units sitting in my closet from when I upgraded to the later model with the INtel CPU. I wish I had sold it a while ago now since with the Intel HP MSS and two unRAID boxes I really have no use for the older one any more.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #309
jbaum

Can't wait.....

Just ordered mine. Tax in NYC is a killer, but I'm so done with waiting for iTivo to work with Mountain Lion or trying to work with KMTTG.

Last edited by jbaum : 09-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #310
drosoph
Distinguished Member

What version of the Tivo App is necessary for the Stream? When will it be released?

Feature Requests: Collaborative Scheduling, Schedule WISHLIST on TCO, Boolean Searches (and,or,not)
(2) S1, (5) S2, (1) S2.5, (2) S3 Tivo, (1) Premiere, Stream
drosoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #311
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosoph View Post
What version of the Tivo App is necessary for the Stream? When will it be released?
We don't know that right now.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #312
yukit

Quote:

I have one of those HP Media Server. I have upgraded it with 2GB & faster version of AMD CPU, but streaming was a struggle still. I have a dual core CPU to put in, but I have not bothered to flash the BIOS to make it recognize the CPU id.

I just use a PC running pyTivo to stream from my media servers (I have HP MediaSmart, ReadyNAS & JBOD NAS server)
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #313
ronaldheft

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosoph View Post
I forget where I read this, but the stream will require a new version of the app that will be released on Wednesday.
ronaldheft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #314
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I wonder why the TiVo Stream would have a TSN on it. Maybe they were planning on charging monthly for it at one point.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #315
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
DRM: Only punishes the honest people.
Or turns honest people into pirates.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #316
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Or turns honest people into pirates.
Good one, I like it.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #317
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I wonder why the TiVo Stream would have a TSN on it. Maybe they were planning on charging monthly for it at one point.
Is a TSN functionally the same as a serial number? If so, it makes sense for every device to have a serial number, regardless of whether or not service is charged for it.

It also might be the identifier that it uses when setting up the protocol from Tivo to Stream to iPad app.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #318
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Anyone see an official TiVo product spec sheet yet?
I want one for streaming to my iPad but was hoping that it also had an hdmi output for the borrowed fourth tuner on my elite so I could route that to a second HDMI input on my tv...I like using pip and pbp.

Also, does the borrowing of the fourth tuner make that tuner unavailable for recordings? Does that fourth tuner become dedicated solely to the Stream device or is it released when not streaming for four tuner recording?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #319
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
I want one for streaming to my iPad but was hoping that it also had an hdmi output for the borrowed fourth tuner on my elite so I could route that to a second HDMI input on my tv...I like using pip and pbp.

Also, does the borrowing of the fourth tuner make that tuner unavailable for recordings? Does that fourth tuner become dedicated solely to the Stream device or is it released when not streaming for four tuner recording?
If I read your post correctly, you want to use the Stream as a dummy IP box similar to the functionality offered by the Mini. The quick answer, it does not offer that functionality.

It only has an Ethernet connection and a power input - no HDMI. It does not connect directly to either the TiVo or a tv.

It also does not co-op a dedicated tuner, however if you want to stream "live" tv, it will initiate a recording and streams that recording. In that case it obviously uses a tuner....
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 09-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #320
ronaldheft

Quote:

I think you may be mixing up the Stream and the Mini. The stream only handles streaming to mobile devices. The unit has a power connector and Ethernet, that's it.

As far as tuner availability, right now the TiVo Stream does not take a tuner. It will only stream / transfer already recorded content. However, the iOS app does have the ability to watch live TV, but it's kind of a workaround. The app will setup up the live program to record, then stream the recording in real time. It's the same as if you recorded the program on the TiVo itself and watched it live. When the program is over, the tuner is free again.

What we don't know right now is how the TiVo Mini will handle tuners, and from what I've read, current beta units take 0-2 tuners for itself. If there is any logic for freeing tuners when the non-pooled tuners are unavailable remains unknown at this time.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #321
generaltso

Quote:
It probably needs to be added to your account with a TSN so that it has a common MAK for streaming.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #322
fredct

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
We don't know that right now.
I assume we don't know this about the app either, but I have one burning question... Will the app allow you to use a video output (hdmi, component) to a TV or other device? For instance if you have a TV without a TiVo, could you play to it from video out from an iPad streaming from a stream? Or if you have a downloaded video and play it on a tv when you're not home?

Many video apps disable the ability unfortunately (including hbo and showtime, even via appleTV video mirroring).

Last edited by fredct : 09-03-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #323
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I assume we don't know this about the app either, but I have one burning question... Will the app allow you to use a video output (hdmi, component) to a TV or other device? For instance if you have a TV without a TiVo, could you play to it from video out from an iPad streaming from a stream? Or if you have a downloaded video and play it on a tv when you're not home?

Many video apps disable the ability unfortunately (including hbo and showtime, even via appleTV video mirroring).
No, this won't work. Dave Zatz already tried it. You'll need a TiVo Mini for that.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #324
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
But there is hope for jailbreakers, as tweaks for enabling AirPlay on other similar apps (like HBO GO, DirecTV, and more) already exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #325
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheft View Post
I think you may be mixing up the Stream and the Mini. The stream only handles streaming to mobile devices. The unit has a power connector and Ethernet, that's it....
I am indeed! Thanks for setting me straight. In reading about both in their respective threads I do have a question.

It seems that Tivo may be licensing their software to run on an Apple TV device? Does anyone think that, if Apple were to open up an SDK for the Apple TV (3) that Tivo might have an app ready to roll out to purchasers that effectively makes an Apple TV perform as a Tivo Mini? I wouldn't mind paying a higher than average app price for that functionality!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #326
BigJimOutlaw

They haven't said anything about Apple TV support at this point. (Or Roku support, in case anybody is wondering.)

For Tivo-to-AppleTV to work, customers would need a Stream to convert the video since it doesn't support MPEG2 natively. It's not elegant, but wouldn't be impossible either. In theory it could happen one day. But either way we'd need new hardware, and it won't likely happen in the short term.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #327
ronaldheft

Quote:
I am indeed! Thanks for setting me straight. In reading about both in their respective threads I do have a question.

It seems that Tivo may be licensing their software to run on an Apple TV device? Does anyone think that, if Apple were to open up an SDK for the Apple TV (3) that Tivo might have an app ready to roll out to purchasers that effectively makes an Apple TV perform as a Tivo Mini? I wouldn't mind paying a higher than average app price for that functionality!
It's always a possibility, and I'm sure TiVo would take a look at the Apple TV SDK if one were released, but at this time there are no indications of apps for Apple TV. Being an iOS developer myself, if Apple were to announce apps for Apple TV at next week's event, I think it would be a minimum of two months until apps would be available for download. Factoring in TiVo's development pace, I think a year would be a minimum reasonable timeframe for TiVo to release an app. While I would love an app over the Mini, it's just not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #328
Joe Siegler

Anyone know if this thing works only on a local Network?

Will you be able to use it to watch shows from a TV say at my brother's house on the other side of town? Can you use it for any device hooked up to your TiVo account (and presumably the MAK key), or is it limited to what's on your local network?

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #329
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Anyone know if this thing works only on a local Network?
The streaming only works locally. You can download (copy) pre-recorded stuff to your iDevice if it's not copy-protected and take it with you, but the streaming function is limited to your own local network.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #330
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
TSNs are used to link TiVos on the same account and allow streaming. Since the Stream is essentially just pretending to be another TiVo on your network for the purposes of streaming it would make sense that they would require a TSN to properly trick the other TiVos into allowing them to initiate the stream.

Once it goes through the stream the file coming out the other side seems to be similar to a TiVoToGo recording requiring your account MAK to decrypt.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote