TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Jerry Mitchell

Connect to a different wifi address

I apologize if this information is here somewhere but I promise I searched high and low before writing this.
Due to a weak wifi signal in the room where my Premiere is I recently added a wifi extender. I now need to have my Tivo connect to the new network address.
I have gone through guided set up multiple times and reset my wireless Network adapter to no avail.
How do I go about getting to the setup screen where I can choose to have my Tivo connect to my wifi extender instead of my router?
Jerry Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Jerry Mitchell

Sorry, Jay man. When I get there it gives me the option of "Get automatic from DHCP server", Let me specify a static IP address", or "Let the DVR assign itself an IP address". When I choose "Get automatic" it then says the DVR will begin using your new network settings, and it is still connected to the previous address.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mitchell View Post
Sorry, Jay man. When I get there it gives me the option of "Get automatic from DHCP server", Let me specify a static IP address", or "Let the DVR assign itself an IP address". When I choose "Get automatic" it then says the DVR will begin using your new network settings, and it is still connected to the previous address.
I realize now that I can't figure it out either, even after going to the TiVo support pages. That's why I deleted my unhelpful post.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
HomeUser

What are you calling a "wifi extender"?
If it is a repeater then the IP Address is being served from the same DHCP host and most likely will remain the same.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
I apologize if this information is here somewhere but I promise I searched high and low before writing this.
Due to a weak wifi signal in the room where my Premiere is I recently added a wifi extender. I now need to have my Tivo connect to the new network address.
I have gone through guided set up multiple times and reset my wireless Network adapter to no avail.
How do I go about getting to the setup screen where I can choose to have my Tivo connect to my wifi extender instead of my router?
I assume that you have either a cable modem or a DSL modem to connect you to your Internet Service Provider?

What connects to that modem? A router? Does the modem have a router built in?

The best thing is to give your TiVo a fixed IP address, since it's not going to be leaving the house and connecting to some coffee shop's wi-fi, like a laptop. If it doesn't have to go through the process of getting an IP address via DHCP, that's one thing fewer to possibly go wrong.

But we need to know what numbers your home network is using to know what to give the TiVo.

Are you using the TiVo wireless G adapter or the N model?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
jay_man2
jay_man-also

The OP has a network called Mitchell that he initially connected to. Due to signal issues he put in an extender, which puts out a signal with the network name Mitchellextender. Where does he go in the TiVo settings to tell it to connect to Mitchellextender?

That's the issue. Neither of us could get to a screen to put in the new network name.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
The OP has a network called Mitchell that he initially connected to. Due to signal issues he put in an extender, which puts out a signal with the network name Mitchellextender. Where does he go in the TiVo settings to tell it to connect to Mitchellextender?

That's the issue. Neither of us could get to a screen to put in the new network name.
Do you refer to the SSID of the wireless part of the network?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you refer to the SSID of the wireless part of the network?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
What wired devices do you have on your network?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
What wired devices do you have on your network?
Why is this even pertinent?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Why is this even pertinent?
Because if everything's wireless, and it's a cable modem, might as well put it and the router where the TV and the TiVo are and connect the TiVo to an Ethernet jack with an Ethernet cable.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Because if everything's wireless, and it's a cable modem, might as well put it and the router where the TV and the TiVo are and connect the TiVo to an Ethernet jack with an Ethernet cable.
Not a helpful answer. I don't know about the OP, but in my case it would not even be an option for my second TiVo. No way to run cable to that spot.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Not a helpful answer. I don't know about the OP, but in my case it would not even be an option for my second TiVo. No way to run cable to that spot.
Well, then perhaps you should wait and let the OP answer the questions I put to the OP, so that we're dealing with the OP's problems.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
HomeUser

Quote:

Configure network settings on an existing TiVo box

If you can not change the settings in setup then you may have to re-do guided setup.
Configure a wireless connection using a TiVo Wireless Adapter

A little more information about the devices and the OP's network would be helpful.
  • Which TiVo DVR are you using Series2, Series3 or Series4?
  • What TiVo wireless adapter do you have?
  • Model of the Wireless Extender?
  • What device is supplying the Internet connection is it the same device that is supplying the Wireless connection?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Jerry Mitchell

Thanks to everyone for your help. I received the message below from Tivo support directing me to the link below and it solved my problem. Sorry, since I haven't had 5 posts I am not allowed to post links. However, it was the instructions for programming the wireless Network adapter to a router that doesn't support WPS.

Jerry Mitchell,

If you are using a TiVo N adapter to connect to this wireless network you need to do a manual configuration to select the SSID. Please follow the instructions at the link below to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Taylor
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Glad you got it figured out.