TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #601
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Now how do we get TiVo to correct the issue? -Rodney
Simple it's not going to happen.
TiVo, over the course of the last year has proven that they could care less about S3 users. If they did, this thread would not be active over a year later.
And, all S3 users with the problem would have been provided with a Premier XL or XL4 either for direct exchange or reduced price with a life time subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
And what is the underlying cause?
-Rodney
I don't know for certain; only that the S03 error problem started within 2 weeks, after the tuning adapter was inserted in the cable tv stream and connected to TiVo.
Early on TiVo (customer service) came up with several excuses. Like wrong cable line up, bad hard drive, cabling, tuning adapter, etc... Then a few stop gap countermeasures, that appeared to work, but were only temporary.
In the end the lamp timer is the only solution that works. But comes with the price tag of a 4 hour block of time in which TiVo cannot record programs; on any channel that is encrypted.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #602
questors

The lamp timer solution did not work well for me. It was hit or miss as far as the TA being recognized after it was powered up again. I have set my router to deny Internet access to the TiVo for three consecutive days each week. GC seems to always complete on the second day and I haven't missed any programming.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #603
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by questors View Post
The lamp timer solution did not work well for me. It was hit or miss as far as the TA being recognized after it was powered up again. I have set my router to deny Internet access to the TiVo for three consecutive days each week. GC seems to always complete on the second day and I haven't missed any programming.
Interesting... I have not had such a problem.
I guess what ever works for you is a solution...

Did you try swapping:
USB cables?
Power supply?
Tuning adapters?
Cable cards?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #604
questors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I guess what ever works for you is a solution...

Did you try swapping:
USB cables?
Power supply?
Tuning adapters?
Cable cards?
No, i didn't try any swapping. What was happening was that when the TA powered up again, I would get the yellow light blinking and TiVo reported "no tuning adapter connected." If I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable the light went steady and all was good again.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #605
Icarus

Quote:
I have, but it's rare. Normally it takes my S3 about five minutes after the power is re-applied to recognize that the tuning adapter is present.

Once in a while, not very often, it won't recognize that the TA is present. If I'm home, I can just power cycle the TA, that fixes it.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #606
steffen707

Just to update you guys, after being stuck in guided setup with s03 I let tivo sit unplugged from the TA and internet for 3 days, still got s03 after I tried to complete guided setup.

I wiped the 2TB drive and reset it up from the original 160gig, now I gotta redo all my season passes.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #607
pninen

For the last year, I've had to unplug the tuning adapter and ethernet for several hours once a week to let GC complete. I do it as soon as the message about program guide info running low appears.

However, today, even tho I unplugged the tuning adapter yesterday, and GC completed yesterday, program guide data won't load. I get S03 errors.

Now what do I do?
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #608
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pninen View Post
For the last year, I've had to unplug the tuning adapter and ethernet for several hours once a week to let GC complete. I do it as soon as the message about program guide info running low appears.

However, today, even tho I unplugged the tuning adapter yesterday, and GC completed yesterday, program guide data won't load. I get S03 errors.

Now what do I do?
http://texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20...rom-your-tivo/

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #609
pninen

Ok, I initiated the "clear program info and todo list".

Message on screen says it may take up to 1 hour.

It has been more than 1.5 hours so far. How long should I wait?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #610
Icarus

Quote:
Ok, I initiated the "clear program info and todo list".

Message on screen says it may take up to 1 hour.

It has been more than 1.5 hours so far. How long should I wait?
It will take a really long time, it's garbage collecting. Don't interrupt it. Just let it run, even overnight. This is your only chance to get rid of S03 now. Otherwise you have to restore from a backup and start over.

Get a lamp timer for the TA so it goes offline every night.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #611
pninen

Ok, I let it run overnight. Now its back to looking like a TiVo. Program guide info is current.

Todo list is empty.

If I open a season pass and ask to see upcoming episodes, it always says there are none.

The season passes are all there, but don't seem to be active.

I've read about this symptom, so followed what I had read about this before. I opened each SP, changed something, and closed it.

What now? Did I do the right thing re the season passes? Do I wait more? How long?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #612
pninen

Ok, I gave up and deleted then reeentered all my season passes. Took 1 hr.

Now my S3 is working correctly again. Sigh.

Tonite I ordered a premiere XL4.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #613
Teeps

Quote:

Don't dump the S3 until you make sure the XL4 works.

I've been on the fence since late last year over the purchase of the TiVo Elite/XL4.
At first due to problems reported on the Premier Forum, (which are mostly quiet now.)
And currently because of functionality issues with streaming and/or transfer of copy protected programs.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #614
WO312

Quote:
Ok, I gave up and deleted then reeentered all my season passes. Took 1 hr.

Now my S3 is working correctly again. Sigh.

I suspect that if you had given it time everything would have been O.K. I'm thinking it needed time to index the data, or whatever the correct term is. But who knows??

I don't like to re-enter my SP's because so many of them don't have upcoming episodes at this point.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #615
pninen

Quote:
Don't dump the S3 until you make sure the XL4 works.
Right on! Had some trouble getting the XL4 going, but now have it working fine. Will shut down the old S3 after a week or so of continued success.

I self-installed cable card & tuning adapter on the XL4, and spent two hours on the phone with Time Warner trying to get it to work. (Nothing ever changes!) They kept doing stupid stuff like telling me to unplug the TiVo and plug it in again, etc etc. Had to listen to 'em trying to tell me that I had wired up the tuning adapter wrong. The TW guy on the phone actually explained to me that the coax doesn't need to go to the tuning adapter, because the TA communicates over USB. Yea. I explained to him how it works, but he just kept saying that's not what his supervisor told him. I asked to speak to the supervisor. He declared that I had to wait two days and let a guy come out to my house. No alternative. I told 'em it was obviously a bad cable card, and that is indeed what it turned out to be.

I've had a similar experience with every TiVo I've ever bought. I think this is my 4th one. Would have figured Time Warner people would get smarter over time, but no.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #616
unitron

Quote:
Right on! Had some trouble getting the XL4 going, but now have it working fine. Will shut down the old S3 after a week or so of continued success...
If it's not already lifetimed, call up and threaten to do so to get PLS for $99.

Should add more than $100 to its resale value.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #617
Teeps

Quote:
Would have figured Time Warner people would get smarter over time, but no.

They do get educated in time.
Problem is the really good ones leave for a better position. Or, stay a while and get burnt out; either way they all leave sooner or later.

That's just the nature of call centers in general.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #618
dpalmi

I need your opinion please.

Specs/info: TivoHD, original internal hard drive, PLS (Product Lifetime Service), external WD 1TB Tivo Expander drive, Time Warner Cable, Cisco Tuning adapter, 3 year extended Tivo warranty.

I currently have a TivoHD that has been having the “…program info will run out…” issue for about a month. Up to now I have been power cycling my Tivo every couple weeks to resolve. I can see my GC is getting stuck and not updating like it should.

When I originally purchased this Tivo, I also got the extended 3 warranty direct from Tivo. That warranty expires in November of this year.

Do you think this issue is something that should/would be covered under the Tivo extended warranty?

I am thinking since there is no “official” fix from Tivo and it can’t really be “fixed”, they might send me a replacement to resolve this issue. I am thinking the replacement might be a Premiere. Am I crazy?

Before I spend hours and hours trying 18 different suggestions from Tivo to fix the issue first, I wanted to ask your opinion if you think a replacement Premiere from Tivo would be likely.

If it is likely, I am willing to jump through the hoops that Tivo will make me jump through to try and troubleshoot first. But if ultimately Tivo is going to tell me “Sorry, there is nothing we can do…” – I will just put a lamp timer on my Tuning Adapter to make my Tivo work.

I have already contacted Tivo about the issue last month and have an incident #. Their first response was to have me repeat the Guided Setup – which I did. That worked for 2 weeks and the issue came back as I knew it would. I then contacted them again and now they want me to perform a “Clear program information & To Do List”. I know that is much more involved because I have to re-create my Season Passes and will get double folders/etc…

So what do you think?

Thanks,

Dan
dpalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #619
WO312

My guess is that it wouldn't hurt to play along if you think you MIGHT get a Premiere.

You have obviously done your homework so you know what to expect with the HD. Only you can decide what you want to do. But I suppose if I had a 3 year warranty that I paid for I would want to get something out of it for an obvious problem.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #620
wtherrell

Quote:
Right on! Had some trouble getting the XL4 going, but now have it working fine. Will shut down the old S3 after a week or so of continued success.

I self-installed cable card & tuning adapter on the XL4, and spent two hours on the phone with Time Warner trying to get it to work. (Nothing ever changes!) They kept doing stupid stuff like telling me to unplug the TiVo and plug it in again, etc etc. Had to listen to 'em trying to tell me that I had wired up the tuning adapter wrong. The TW guy on the phone actually explained to me that the coax doesn't need to go to the tuning adapter, because the TA communicates over USB. Yea. I explained to him how it works, but he just kept saying that's not what his supervisor told him. I asked to speak to the supervisor. He declared that I had to wait two days and let a guy come out to my house. No alternative. I told 'em it was obviously a bad cable card, and that is indeed what it turned out to be.

I've had a similar experience with every TiVo I've ever bought. I think this is my 4th one. Would have figured Time Warner people would get smarter over time, but no.
Actually, the coax does not need to come from the TA to the TIVO. I have one coax feed to the TA and another separate coax feed to the TIVO. The only connection from my TA to my TIVO is the USB. Seems to work better that way. AIUI, The TA receives the current channel map from TW over its coax and feeds the info to the TIVO over the USB. The TIVO then uses that info to tune the proper frequency from the coax that is feeding it. That's probably the misunderstanding on the part of the TW guy.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #621
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Actually, the coax does not need to come from the TA to the TIVO. I have one coax feed to the TA and another separate coax feed to the TIVO. The only connection from my TA to my TIVO is the USB. Seems to work better that way.
In what way do you see an improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
AIUI, The TA receives the current channel map from TW over its coax and feeds the info to the TIVO over the USB. The TIVO then uses that info to tune the proper frequency from the coax that is feeding it.
Where did you get the info about channel lineup delivery, to TiVo, via USB?
Thought the USB connection between TiVo and T/A was for 2 way communication back to the cable co head end transmission equipment.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #622
WO312

One improvement with a direct coax feed to the Tivo is that you can still record non-SDV channels when the TA is turned off. If the coax feed comes from the TA you lose everything when the TA is turned off.

So by default it has to be that the channel lineup info for the Tivo comes thru the USB.

I have had my Tivo hooked up this way seems like forever.

We had a discussion about this way back in the thread, IIRC.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #623
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
One improvement with a direct coax feed to the Tivo is that you can still record non-SDV channels when the TA is turned off. If the coax feed comes from the TA you lose everything when the TA is turned off.
I wonder if, additionally, there is less signal loss when bypassing the T/A.
That alone would be worth the addition of a splitter at the incoming side of the T/A. (which I have done to my setup over the weekend; using -3.5db two way splitter. I also capped the unused T/A jack with a 75 ohm termination.) So far it is working as expected.

Quote:
So by default it has to be that the channel lineup info for the Tivo comes thru the USB.
I would like to read an official explanation on this subject.

Quote:
We had a discussion about this way back in the thread, IIRC.
I thought so too. But couldn't remember which thread it was in...

Here's a link from cablelabs tuning adapter faq: http://www.cablelabs.com/opencable/u...dapter-FAQ.pdf
No where do they indicate how the channel lineup is delivered to TiVo(or "other" UDCP devices.)

Seems to me that TiVo could add the bidirectional function if they wanted to... maybe the Series 5?

Last edited by Teeps : 09-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #624
DougJohnson

I had the problem of delayed GC and the TiVo complaining about running out of guide information last October. I put the TA on a timer and all was well. I took the TA off the timer last November and all continued to be well. Until last night.

The complaint about guide info popped up. I checked the GC and it had last run 11 days ago. Pulled the power on the TA and GC happened within 4 hours. Plugged the TA back in. I'll watch the GC for a while to see if it happens again. Hey, maybe it is a seasonal thing.

-- Doug

OLED S3 1TB Motorola TA Time Warner Dallas.
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #625
tootal2

I havent had any problems with the gc file since i moved my tivo to my bedroom. i made my tivo cable only in my bedroom and i use a wireless bridge for the internet that only works when the tv is on.

i put the wireless bridge on a smart strip so i can sleep without all thioes leds on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I had the problem of delayed GC and the TiVo complaining about running out of guide information last October. I put the TA on a timer and all was well. I took the TA off the timer last November and all continued to be well. Until last night.

The complaint about guide info popped up. I checked the GC and it had last run 11 days ago. Pulled the power on the TA and GC happened within 4 hours. Plugged the TA back in. I'll watch the GC for a while to see if it happens again. Hey, maybe it is a seasonal thing.

-- Doug

OLED S3 1TB Motorola TA Time Warner Dallas.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #626
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
i made my tivo cable only in my bedroom
Does that mean you are not using a tuning adapter on the TiVo anymore?

I use a black Sharpie to "dull" the led light emitted.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #627
tootal2

Im still using the tuning adaptor. tivo wont work without it. I have no idea why my gc problem went away after i moved it.

Quote:
Does that mean you are not using a tuning adapter on the TiVo anymore?

I use a black Sharpie to "dull" the led light emitted.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #628
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Im still using the tuning adaptor. tivo wont work without it. I have no idea why my gc problem went away after i moved it.
It sounds like that restricted internet access may have something to do with it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #629
Bob723

Looking for advice. I'm SO tired of the "program info will run out" issue with my HD TiVo - TCD 652160. It is at the point where I have to reboot weekly & it often takes more than 1 reboot to fix it. I've tried a timer on the TA but that results in a pink screen & the TiVo freezes up. The TiVo also has an external hard drive. I'm thinking about 2 options 1) Replace the current internal hard drive with a new, larger drive & eliminate the external drive; 2) Get a new Premier 2-tuner unit. I'm concerned that replacing the hard drive will not resolve the "program info will run out" issue &, therefore, the better option may be to change to a Premier as I am not aware of them having this issue. I plan to move to the country in a couple of years (no cable available) & would prefer to have a TiVo that gets OTA - thus the reason for the 2 tuner Premier (would love to get a 4 tuner unit though). Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #630
AndrewWK
Tivo since '99

HISTORY:
I have experienced the exact same issue as everyone else in this thread, although my current symptoms are a bit different. I have a TivoHD TCD652160, WD expander, m-card and Cisco TA for my NC TWC cable connection. I started having issues with guide data running low messages over the last month. Initially they seemed to resolve with rebooting, but the issue progressed and I started receiving generic call failure messages. Then the S03 error started showing up.

PARTIAL RESOLUTION:
I contacted Tivo support and they were of no help and led me to believe I had a hardware issue with the drive in the Tivo or the expander. I followed their suggestions of deleting many of my recordings and clearing thumb ratings and suggestions, followed by a kickstart 57, which did nothing. Then, after further internet research I found suggestions to clear the program information and to do list, which I did. This resolved the S03 error and allowed me to download and load data successfully. Oddly enough, it left the season passes associated with recordings I still had on the box (not sure if this is standard behavior). So I now have the following:

Program information to: Sunday, October 28, 2012
GC: Sunday October 14 7:49am
indexing: Sunday October 14 7:44am
Guide View Cache:
Cache To: Sunday October 21 2:00pm

THE CURRENT ISSUE:
I can manually record stuff I see in the guide and I can add season passes this way, but existing or season passes I re-added via the guide show "no upcoming episodes". Also, if I "Search by Title" the Tivo shows nothing, as if it still has no data loaded. The recordings I have added individually work fine though. Any suggestions on the next step? Should I perform another clear of the "program information and to do list"? Will simply disconnecting the TA for a bit help the Tivo right itself? I'm ordering a lamp timer for the TA now, as I just found this thread.
AndrewWK is offline   Reply With Quote