TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Squeege96

Slight issue with S3 Hard Drive Upgrade using WinMFS

Hi all! I am in the process of upgrading my much loved S3 with a 1.0 TB drive. I have successfully backed up the .tbk image, but I am trying to keep the recordings on the original drive. However, when I click on "MFSCopy..." I get the following message: "Restore Bootpage: You are about to overwrite DOS or Windows Drive. Are you sure?"

Out of fear of destroying my computer, I thought I would check the forum, but I couldn't find any posts with this message. Is this normal and should I proceed?

In case it matters, I am running Win 7 64Bit. The Tivo model is TCD648250B, and I am upgrading to a Seagate Drive.

Thanks!
Squeege96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Make sure the model numbers on WinMFS match the drive you are going to make the Tivo drive.

It sounds like either you have selected your Windows drive and not the Seagate drive, or the Seagate drive was previously used as a windows drive.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Squeege96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Make sure the model numbers on WinMFS match the drive you are going to make the Tivo drive.

It sounds like either you have selected your Windows drive and not the Seagate drive, or the Seagate drive was previously used as a windows drive.
The Seagate is a brand new drive from NewEgg. I verified the Drive ID in WinMFS, and it says it's "unknown or blank". When I click on "MFSCopy...", I don't get an option to select a drive. The message comes up right away.

Any other thoughts? Is this a common message?

Last edited by Squeege96 : 08-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
mattack

I have no idea, why don't you use the Linux boot CDs and unplug your computer drives as a safety measure?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
worachj

WinMFS needs to have admin privileges in order to see the new drive. When you start WinMFS right click on the WinMFS.exe and select run as administrator and see if that works for you.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeege96 View Post
Hi all! I am in the process of upgrading my much loved S3 with a 1.0 TB drive. I have successfully backed up the .tbk image, but I am trying to keep the recordings on the original drive. However, when I click on "MFSCopy..." I get the following message: "Restore Bootpage: You are about to overwrite DOS or Windows Drive. Are you sure?"

Out of fear of destroying my computer, I thought I would check the forum, but I couldn't find any posts with this message. Is this normal and should I proceed?

In case it matters, I am running Win 7 64Bit. The Tivo model is TCD648250B, and I am upgrading to a Seagate Drive.

Thanks!
I assume you are running WinMFS. Did you crack open your PC or are you using USB to SATA cables? If you cracked open your PC, you must have your Windows drive still connected as well as the source drive and the destination drive - correct? Did Windows mount the destination drive? If so, it needs to be unmounted or it needs to have WinMFS overwrite the boot sector. When I run WinMFS it doesn't even show my Windows drive, even if I ask it to show mounted drives. I find that the easiest way is to use cheap USB to SATA cables. And yes, you need to right-click on WinMFS to run it as Administrator.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
The Seagate is a brand new drive from NewEgg. I verified the Drive ID in WinMFS, and it says it's "unknown or blank". When I click on "MFSCopy...", I don't get an option to select a drive. The message comes up right away.

The way I did it was, under WInMFS, I used backup, then restore to the new drive, then (i forget what was this step) then, finally, supersize.

~~~~~

Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
The way I did it was, under WInMFS, I used backup, then restore to the new drive, then (i forget what was this step) then, finally, supersize.
That next step was probably expand (mfsadd) to add an MFS pair, assuming you went to a bigger drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That next step was probably expand (mfsadd) to add an MFS pair, assuming you went to a bigger drive.
Thanks.

~~~~~

Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
dwit

Quote:

Suspect that the new Seagate drive has become "mounted", for whatever reason. "Check" the box that says "show mounted drives"(or something to that effect).

Always double check though, that you are writing to the correct drive. Disconnect all uninvolved drives.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

Thanks!
I think I believe is the problem, you tried to do expand, aka MfaAdd, on a blank drive.

Do this:

1. Backup the old drive. (I know you did this step, just noting.)
2. Restore to the new drive.
3. Expand (MFSAdd)
4. SuperSize.

~~~~~

Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Squeege96

Quote:
I think I believe is the problem, you tried to do expand, aka MfaAdd, on a blank drive.

Do this:

1. Backup the old drive. (I know you did this step, just noting.)
2. Restore to the new drive.
3. Expand (MFSAdd)
4. SuperSize.
So your steps worked great! Only now, the S3 unit randomly freezes to the point that it is unusable and needs to be unplugged and restarted. I guess the drive I bought was a bad one (?). Any suggestions for a better drive to use? The ones listed in the Upgrade FAQ are all out of circulation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Squeege96 : 08-31-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
So your steps worked great! Only now, the S3 unit randomly freezes to the point that it is unusable and needs to be unplugged and restarted. I guess the drive I bought was a bad one (?). Any suggestions for a better drive to use? The ones listed in the Upgrade FAQ are all out of circulation.

Thanks!
You never gave us the model number, firmware, and manufacturing date and location on that drive.

The drive is quite possibly just fine, but just not fully compatible with TiVos.

And if Seagate had any interest in addressing the issue (TiVo users are probably 1% of 1% of 1% of their total sales), they'd point out that the drive wasn't designed for TiVos and that TiVos weren't designed to have the drives replaced with bigger ones by the user.

You can probably stick the drive in a computer running TiVo Desktop, format it as one big NTFS partition, and use it copy shows to from the TiVo just fine.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
L David Matheny

Quote:

Thanks!
If the Seagate drive you used is more power-hungry than the drives normally used in TiVos (like a 7200-rpm drive might be), it could be pulling the 12V (probably) supply voltage low intermittently. I'm guessing that could conceivably cause random freezes.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If the Seagate drive you used is more power-hungry than the drives normally used in TiVos (like a 7200-rpm drive might be), it could be pulling the 12V (probably) supply voltage low intermittently. I'm guessing that could conceivably cause random freezes.
Especially if the power supply is beginning to develop problems.

Maybe there should be a new rule.

Replace all caps n the 5 and 12 Volt rails whether they look bad or not, then upgrade the drive.

But based on personal experience, I'm thinking those Seagates just don't work with TiVos, or vice versa.

Work fine in a computer, though.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Squeege96

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Especially if the power supply is beginning to develop problems.

Maybe there should be a new rule.

Replace all caps n the 5 and 12 Volt rails whether they look bad or not, then upgrade the drive.

But based on personal experience, I'm thinking those Seagates just don't work with TiVos, or vice versa.

Work fine in a computer, though.
I think you guys are dead on. Power might be my issue. Any suggestions on what drive I should use?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
poppagene
User

Quote:
I think you guys are dead on. Power might be my issue. Any suggestions on what drive I should use?
The suggestion isn't so much about drive as to inspecting and repairing/replacing bulging capacitors on the internal power supply.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Squeege96

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The suggestion isn't so much about drive as to inspecting and repairing/replacing bulging capacitors on the internal power supply.
Ok - I give it s shot tonight. In the event that it is a capacitor, any suggestions on how to identify what type of capacitor it is and where to find a replacement?

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Squeege96

Ok, you guys were dead on - looks like I have a blown capacitor. Here's what is written on it: CapXon 2200uF25v / KF105'C C620 VENT

I have some experience with soldering (fixed my kids' DS a few times, and soldered some audio connections, etc.).

My questions are:

1. Any recommendations on where to buy replacements? If so, any particular brand?
2. Should I buy an exact duplicate, or is there a better cap to replace it with?

THANKS!!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Ok, you guys were dead on - looks like I have a blown capacitor. Here's what is written on it: CapXon 2200uF25v / KF105'C C620 VENT

I have some experience with soldering (fixed my kids' DS a few times, and soldered some audio connections, etc.).

My questions are:

1. Any recommendations on where to buy replacements? If so, any particular brand?
2. Should I buy an exact duplicate, or is there a better cap to replace it with?

THANKS!!
The two numbers you really want to pay attention to are the voltage and the capacitance values.

The voltage value on the replacement cap must be at least the same, but you could possibly get away with going one step up. Example: bad cap is rated 12v, replacement cap should be 12v but you might get away with using one rated higher, but you don't want to go too high.

You will want to match the capacitance value exactly.

Edit: The 105'C might be important. I believe that is a temperature rating.

I can't help in choosing a manufacturer or where to buy, sorry.

Here's a list of power supply caps for an S3 OLED put together by another forum member:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...56#post9261056

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Ok - I give it s shot tonight. In the event that it is a capacitor, any suggestions on how to identify what type of capacitor it is and where to find a replacement?

Thanks!!
You need high temp (105 degrees), low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) electrolytic capacitors at the same uF rating and the same Voltage or the next step or two up.

Do you know enough to be able to find where the red (+5V), yellow (+12V), and black (ground) wires are soldered to the power supply circuit board and trace the copper areas on the bottom to tell which caps have their negative leads connected to ground and their positive leads connected to the 5 or 12 Volt outputs?

Those are the ones (total of 3 or 4, probably) most likely to be bad or on the way, and you might as well do all of them at once.

That's if they are the brand they say they are but have the faulty electrolytic. (see the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague")

That 25V one may be further upstream than an output, but it may also be counterfeit, which would explain why it failed.

I can hook you up with a guy in Raleigh I've been buying from.

email me at coastalnet.com

Or you can go with Mouser or Digi-Key or Jameco or MCM, or the guy at badcaps.net or the guy at lcdalternatives.com

Also, you need to take into consideration height and diameter to make sure what you get will fit.

Measure in millimeters.

The caps under the heat sink overhang, which are the hardest to get in and out, are of course the most likely to go bad.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

My questions are:

THANKS!!
http://www.amazon.com/2200uf-Capacit...rds=2200uf+25v
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12428614

~~~~~

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
unitron

Note that this does not mean you can find the right thing in the drawer down at the local B&M Radio Shack.

And since the catalog listing is silent on the question of ESR, I'm not sure I'd trust that one without checking it directly with NTE.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #24
HerronScott

Which model do you have S3 OLED or TiVoHD? Also, what's the TiVo part number on the power supply? I've got a similar capactor list for the TiVoHD but I understand that there may be more than 1 model TiVoHD power supply.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Squeege96

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Which model do you have S3 OLED or TiVoHD? Also, what's the TiVo part number on the power supply? I've got a similar capactor list for the TiVoHD but I understand that there may be more than 1 model TiVoHD power supply.

Scott
Its the Original S3 with OLED. I followed the link above and ordered the new capacitors from Mouser. I'll you know once I get them installed!