TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #271
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's not entirely Bright House or TWCs fault. The CableCARD rules were designed by a consortium of companies in the cable industry, all of whom agreed to include the CCI bit and force developers of CableCARD equipment to adhere to it. Bright House and TWC use it excessively, but even the cable companies that don't use it across the board still use it whenever the channel provider requests it. For example in most areas the premium channels and PPV are protected even when the rest of the channels are not. Even FIOS, who had avoided using the CCI bit completely, had to start using it a few weeks ago for HBO.

Now it's possible TiVo might be able to get around the CCI bit by moving, rather then copying, shows between devices. However they'd probably have to use better protection for their TTG format then what they're using now or or the cable companies would take issue.

Dan

90% of my recorded Tivo shows cannot be transferred to my PC using Tivo to Go because I have Bright House. I can't believe other cable companies (besides TWC) are anywhere close to that %
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #272
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
90% of my recorded Tivo shows cannot be transferred to my PC using Tivo to Go because I have Bright House. I can't believe other cable companies (besides TWC) are anywhere close to that %
http://www.missingremote.com/forums/...us-master-list
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #273

Quote:
The way it works is actually better then requiring it to be connected directly to the TiVo because one Stream can actually be used with multiple TiVos. Provided you had enough iPads and Premiere units you could actually stream 3 different shows from 3 different TiVos to 3 different iPads all at the same time. If the device were dedicated to a single TiVo then you'd have to buy one Stream for each TiVo on your network.

Dan
Well, sweet then...

Let me just clarify.

I can hook up a TiVo Stream to my modem and wireless router in my basement, and have it stream shows from my upstairs TiVo Premiere in another room?

That's the setup?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #274
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Well, sweet then...

Let me just clarify.

I can hook up a TiVo Stream to my modem and wireless router in my basement, and have it stream shows from my upstairs TiVo Premiere in another room?

That's the setup?
That is correct...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #275
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I really , really want to be able to download copyrighted shows to my ipad to take on long flights for my personal use, then delete them. I don't understand why Bright House and TWC block this, they could DRM it somehow I would think to prevent illegal retransmission.

all this old way of thinking does is force people to use torrents that really don't want to do that kind of stuff
Consider that you can take movies that you have archived from DVD's and push them TiVo - at that point it is easy to load them onto your IOS device.

Not as fully functional as you might want, but still a lot of value.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #276
jmpage2

There's no motive for premium providers to disable the copy flag. They don't care if you have a TiVo and are a legitimate subscriber of their services. They don't want you to have a side-loaded copy of their content PERIOD. If you want to watch their so called premium content on your mobile device they want to lock you in to watching it with their own application, which of course they fully control.

As to providers who simply flip the bit on all programming, I would say they either believe they are covering their own asses with this shameful move, or, they are simply lazy.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #277
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Consider that you can take movies that you have archived from DVD's and push them TiVo - at that point it is easy to load them onto your IOS device.

Not as fully functional as you might want, but still a lot of value.
I don't know if that will work. I thought any content sent to the TiVos is automatically flagged. I know in the past some PyTiVo pushes were blocked but not sure if pulls are affected the same way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #278
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I don't know if that will work. I thought any content sent to the TiVos is automatically flagged. I know in the past some PyTiVo pushes were blocked but not sure if pulls are affected the same way.
I believe that pushes are always flagged but pulls are not. Since DVDs are already MPEG-2 you can pull them to a TiVo without recoding, so there is no advantage to pushing.

Although if you want to recode a movies for your iPad there are much easier ways to do it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #279
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I do not think so... I have never had a problem moving videos around and I definately do not see the CCI Bit icon. What format do you archive your videos in? All my rips are a standard single file MPEG2

I will double check tonight and report back.

NOTE: I usually pull my vidoes using the TiVo to browse my video library on my Media Server. However, from time to time I will also push the video using pyTiVo mobile UI. I will test both methods tonight.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #280
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I believe that pushes are always flagged but pulls are not. Since DVDs are already MPEG-2 you can pull them to a TiVo without recoding, so there is no advantage to pushing.

Although if you want to recode a movies for your iPad there are much easier ways to do it.

Dan
Easier? I don't know. I have found it to be such a pain in the backside that I don't do it anymore. I spent hours playing with different tools and trying to get the resolution just right - all I ever end up with is jumpy video and out of sync audio - blech...

I am sure the right mix will get it right, but I am not sure I would call it easier...

Step 1: Browse my video library from my TiVo and find a movie or two I want to take on my upcoming trip - initiate a transfer
Step 2: Browse my NPL on the iPAD for the movies I just transferred - initiate the transfer - done!

Now if the iPad app could see my PyTiVo video library - NIRVANA!!!!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #281
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
So it doesn't need to be hooked into the TiVo it's streaming from? The show has to get streamed down to the Stream Box, converted and then streamed out to my iPad? That seems... strange to me.
Why is that strange? That is the whole purpose of the Stream device. Mobile devices can't play MPEG2 in hardware. TiVo Premiere doesn't have a dedicated hardware chip to transcode the recorded MPEG2 into H264. That is why the Stream was made.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #282
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Provided you had enough iPads and Premiere units you could actually stream 3 different shows from 3 different TiVos to 3 different iPads all at the same time.
It is actually quite an impressive piece of hardware that can transcode three high-bitrate 1080i streams at the same time, in realtime.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Why is that strange? That is the whole purpose of the Stream device. Mobile devices can't play MPEG2 in hardware. TiVo Premiere doesn't have a dedicated hardware chip to transcode the recorded MPEG2 into H264. That is why the Stream was made.
It seems strange to me since the video is actually being streamed twice. My wireless router has to send all of the data from my TiVo... to the Stream and then to my iPhone.

I mean, it's not really that weird, it's just that after hearing all these reports of how it has to be hardwired in, MoCa networks, etc... it got a little confusing... and seeing that the answer is so simple, and yet requires double streaming of all video, seems a little odd to me.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #284
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's why wireless is not officially supported. Because it'll also be using the wireless network to stream the recoded video to the iPad it will really push the limits of the wireless network. This is why I suggested that it'll likely only work if you do one stream at a time. If you tried to do the full 3 streams it's capable of your wireless network probably couldn't handle it.

But in any case it's all just network traffic, so if you've got the bandwidth then you can wire it up however you want.

Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #285
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
It is actually quite an impressive piece of hardware that can transcode three high-bitrate 1080i streams at the same time, in realtime.
I agree. Not too many years ago transcoding just one HD stream in realtime required a chip costing thousands of dollars. (I actually research some cards that did this for a client like 5-6 years ago and they were like $3,500 each)

Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #286
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, but pretty much all of them protect at least the Premium channels now. Bright House and TWC abuse the flag, but all of them use it. This is what finally forced TiVo into implementing streaming. Use of the CCI bit was breaking MRV.

Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #287
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Now if the iPad app could see my PyTiVo video library - NIRVANA!!!!
Why not just point AirVideo at the same directory?

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #288
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think he was looking for the side loading capability

Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #289
innocentfreak

Quote:

Dan
Gotcha. I always push since I queue up couple episodes at once via the web interface via my iPad while I am watching something.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #290
Dan203
Super Moderator

What would really be cool is if TiVo updated TiVo Desktop to be an MRS source. The you could stream anything from your PC library directly to your TiVo/iPad or side load it on the iPad via the Stream. It would likely have to go through two recodes for the iPad though since the PC would have to convert it to MPEG-2 to make it TiVo compatible and then the Stream would have to convert it to H.264. However I doubt anyone would really see a significant loss of quality.

Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #291
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Why not just point AirVideo at the same directory?

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video
I can't tell you how much time and energy i have spent trying to get Airvideo to work properly... I have my media library on a Media Smart server and it really bogs down trying to transcode and the quality is terrible. Don't even consider realtime transcoding!!!. I have also tried it from the family desktop, but more often then not it ends up getting interrupted.

I actually considered building a dedicated machine just to transcode and stream videos - you have no idea how many hours and how many tools I have used and tried!

And one more video that I spend an hour transcoding just to have the audio out of sync I will pull out what is left of my hair!

Easy? I don't think so...

A dedicated set and forget solution? Yeah baby!!!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #292
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:

Dan
Dan you are correct! Pulling via the TiVo the video come over open and clear, pushing with pytivo the video came over copy protected...

I never noticed that before.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #293
cherry ghost

Quote:
Dan you are correct! Pulling via the TiVo the video come over open and clear, pushing with pytivo the video came over copy protected...

I never noticed that before.
Pretty much what I said yesterday

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...84#post9257184

No folders when you pull, but that doesn't really matter in this case
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #294
generaltso

Has anyone's Stream shipped yet? Maybe they're just planning to ship them all out on Tuesday with overnight shipping? My order says ground shipping, but there's no way it will get to me by the 5th via Ground if it hasn't shipped yet.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #295
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
What would really be cool is if TiVo updated TiVo Desktop to be an MRS source. The you could stream anything from your PC library directly to your TiVo/iPad or side load it on the iPad via the Stream. It would likely have to go through two recodes for the iPad though since the PC would have to convert it to MPEG-2 to make it TiVo compatible and then the Stream would have to convert it to H.264. However I doubt anyone would really see a significant loss of quality.

Dan
The TiVo can handle H.264 decoding. Otherwise those cable channels that use H.264 would not work on a TiVo.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #296
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The TiVo can handle H.264 decoding. Otherwise those cable channels that use H.264 would not work on a TiVo.
It can handle/decode it, and has the hardware decoder built-in, but only in certain containers, at certain profiles, at certain bitrates and with certain audio. I have actually had a bad time getting anything to play natively on the Premiere, PyTiVo ends up transcoding pretty much everything.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #297
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
No, but pretty much all of them protect at least the Premium channels now. Bright House and TWC abuse the flag, but all of them use it. This is what finally forced TiVo into implementing streaming. Use of the CCI bit was breaking MRV.

Dan

I could easily live without transferring HBO and the like but would like my regular network shows to be transferred and now few can be on Bright House and its silly
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #298
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Has anyone's Stream shipped yet? Maybe they're just planning to ship them all out on Tuesday with overnight shipping? My order says ground shipping, but there's no way it will get to me by the 5th via Ground if it hasn't shipped yet.
The TiVo sales guy told me the shipping would be upgraded to overnight for free. I assumed they would send all the initial shipments on Tuesday with overnight shipping.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #299
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
I could easily live without transferring HBO and the like but would like my regular network shows to be transferred and now few can be on Bright House and its silly
Me too. I just pirate HBO.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #300
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
The TiVo sales guy told me the shipping would be upgraded to overnight for free. I assumed they would send all the initial shipments on Tuesday with overnight shipping.
Did your confirmation email list overnight shipping? Mine says ground.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote