TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #511
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
It wasn't a plant in the audience. Dittleman could actually SEE him the entire time he picked a color. Before you say, "Ahhh but they showed him with his eyes closed" go back at rewatch it. As everyone has said, as Howard picks up each colored marker, then Dittleman tells him where to draw. BUT, re-watch when Howard picks up the blue pen. As Howard picks up that color, Stern mockingly waves the pen to the crowd to joke around like a magician's assistant, and Dittleman accidentally laughs.

Why did he laugh if he couldn't see him?

You can tell because Dittleman catches himself after laughing and then tells him to draw in the hair with the blue pen. It wasn't just an accidental laugh. He could see Howard picking each color the entire time.
Also, there were two times when Dittleman gave Howard an instruction like "pick up another color" and after Howard complied Dittleman would say "good". He forgot he wasn't supposed to know when Howard had done what he asked.

As for the shape trick, when he is telling the audience to think of a shape he holds up three fingers; this is supposed to suggest to your unconscious mind a triangle. He then says now imagine a shape "around it" and he moves his arm in a circle. The embedded word round and the movement of his arm in a circle are supposed to unconsciously suggest circle. This is all Derren Brown stuff. Plus, besides a square, what shapes come to mind?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #512
tiams

Quote:
It wasn't a plant in the audience. Dittleman could actually SEE him the entire time he picked a color. Before you say, "Ahhh but they showed him with his eyes closed" go back at rewatch it. As everyone has said, as Howard picks up each colored marker, then Dittleman tells him where to draw. BUT, re-watch when Howard picks up the blue pen. As Howard picks up that color, Stern mockingly waves the pen to the crowd to joke around like a magician's assistant, and Dittleman accidentally laughs.

Why did he laugh if he couldn't see him?

You can tell because Dittleman catches himself after laughing and then tells him to draw in the hair with the blue pen. It wasn't just an accidental laugh. He could see Howard picking each color the entire time.
I don't think Howard was making a joke like he was a magician's assistant. I think Howard momentarily forgot his instructions to hold the marker in such a way that Dittleman could see what color it was. He realized that he was unintentionally hiding it when Dittleman didn't tell him where to color so he reacted by waving it around wildly, like he was saying "oops, oh yeah, here it is, lookie here, sorry I f'ed up for a second". He was probably a little embarrassed that he didn't do his part flawlessly. He even made a comment about how there was pressure on him during the trick.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #513
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
As for the shape trick, when he is telling the audience to think of a shape he holds up three fingers; this is supposed to suggest to your unconscious mind a triangle. He then says now imagine a shape "around it" and he moves his arm in a circle. The embedded word round and the movement of his arm in a circle are supposed to unconsciously suggest circle. This is all Derren Brown stuff. Plus, besides a square, what shapes come to mind?
Exactly right.
By the way, I'm a jerk and thought of a pentagon and a long rectangle.
It was so obvious the first shape he wanted you to think of instantly.

Quote:
I don't think Howard was making a joke like he was a magician's assistant. I think Howard momentarily forgot his instructions to hold the marker in such a way that Dittleman could see what color it was. He realized that he was unintentionally hiding it when Dittleman didn't tell him where to color so he reacted by waving it around wildly, like he was saying "oops, oh yeah, here it is, lookie here, sorry I f'ed up for a second". He was probably a little embarrassed that he didn't do his part flawlessly. He even made a comment about how there was pressure on him during the trick.
Well, the reasoning behind why stern made that odd gesture isn't really the issue, I'm just saying that it was clear Dittleman chucked at his antics, and there would be no way he should laugh if he couldn't see him. So it was so obvious he was looking at him the entire time.

His parlor tricks are completely lame to me.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #514
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tonight's episode got cut off for me. Who went home last, the Sand Artist or the "Ventriloquist"? After hearing his last comment, I'm hoping it was the Sand Artist.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #515
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Tonight's episode got cut off for me. Who went home last, the Sand Artist or the "Ventriloquist"? After hearing his last comment, I'm hoping it was the Sand Artist.
The Ventriloquist went home.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #516
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

If I were Howard I would have used the marker where I wasn't supposed to use it. For example: if I was told to color in the hair I would color in the face. Then when it was over I would say that if you could really read my mind you would know I was going to do that.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #517
tiams

Quote:
Exactly right.
By the way, I'm a jerk and thought of a pentagon and a long rectangle.
It was so obvious the first shape he wanted you to think of instantly.

Well, the reasoning behind why stern made that odd gesture isn't really the issue, I'm just saying that it was clear Dittleman chucked at his antics, and there would be no way he should laugh if he couldn't see him. So it was so obvious he was looking at him the entire time.

His parlor tricks are completely lame to me.
Yes, his odd gesture gave away both things. One, that Howard was in on it, and two, that Dittleman could see him.

I agree, his tricks are lame! Watch Derren Brown if you want to be impressed. Keith Barry is also pretty good but not as good as Derren.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #518
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought it was interesting, too, when they showed Dittleman's rehearsal that they had his version of Howard's picture on the easel - visible in the shot.

I really liked Tom Cotter, especially good start when he says, "College??? - Dittleman!!!" - THAT cracked me up!

I'll take people's word for it that William Close is fantastic - it is definitely different from things we've seen before, and he's good at what he does, but I'm kind of bored with it. It's lost its 'magnificence' for me.

I don't think the Sand Artist should have gotten through, but I felt that Irving and Oliver (or whatever their names are) have run their course. Different set, etc., same schtick. I just feel like "seen it" with them. I would have taken him before the sand guy, though.

As for bringing back acts from past years (is that on next week's results show?), they better not even think about bringing back "Second Chance", or whatever they heck their name is, again. That's an act that doesn't do a thing for me and has been played to death already. Oy!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #519
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Some very good acts last night. There are gonna be some good acts that don't move on.

Acts that I think are in the running to move on:
Scott Brothers
Tom Cotter
Donovan & Rebecca

Not quite in the same class as above, but might sneak through:
Joe Castillo
William Close

Acts that probably will not move on:
Academy of Villians
Andrew de Leon
Bria Kelly
Edon
Dittelman
Todd Oliver
Turf

Called it with Castillo and Close sneaking in. Wish it were my top 3 though.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #520
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Also, there were two times when Dittleman gave Howard an instruction like "pick up another color" and after Howard complied Dittleman would say "good". He forgot he wasn't supposed to know when Howard had done what he asked.

That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the act! I even went back through some of my Derren Brown* collection, and was impressed with the smooth professionalism of Mr. Brown as compared to the rather clumsy and nervous Dittleman. He'll do okay at birthday parties and some corporate events, but he does not belong in Vegas.

*I had first heard of Derren Brown only 14 months ago, and after having watched all of his (UK) shows, I am a big fan. I suggest people check him out on YouTube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #521
busyba
The Funcooker

I think some of the criticism they gave Turf, about it being all the same thing over and over, was a bit unfounded.

Before the judges started speaking, my impression of the performance was that it had all the elements that make Turf "Turf", but that also he did a much better job this time of actually choreographing his routine to the music. There was much more of a connection between his moves and the music this time around.

I'm not saying he should have made it into the Top 3; I'm just saying that I felt he really stepped it up this time around.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #522
morac
Cat God

I'm not sure what difference it would make if Dittelman could see the marker colors as the trick wasn't guessing what colors Howard was using, it was to "force" Howard to use Dittelman's preselected colors since Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time. I don't see how this could be done unless Howard was in on it. Though if you compare the two drawings, the colors don't exactly match up. Only the green face and purple hair do.

As for the circle/triangle trick, that reminds me more of Cross Angel's Mind Freak, specifically this card trick::

Criss Angel Commercial with Card trick
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

I know how it's done now, but at the time I first saw it, in a movie theater, it did freak me out..

Last edited by morac : 08-30-2012 at 08:47 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #523
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm not sure what difference it would make if Dittelman could see the marker colors as the trick wasn't guessing what colors Howard was using, it was to "force" Howard to use Dittelman's preselected colors since Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time.
Seeing Howard is the entire trick. He sees the color Howard picks, and THEN tells him where to fill it in. Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time, yes. So for example, the face was already green on Dittelman's drawing. So all he does it tell Howard, "Please select any color you would like at random" or whatever, he sees Howard select the green pen, and then he says, "Ok, I'm going to ask that you color in the face with that [randomly selected color.]" etc.

So he just waits to see the color Howard selects, and then tells him to which area to fill-in, based on Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time.

I personally don't think Howard was is on it, but it really is irrelevant if he can see him the entire time. I personally think if Howard was in on it, they could have come up with a much more elaborate trick that wouldn't be solved just by seeing.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #524
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Seeing Howard is the entire trick. He sees the color Howard picks, and THEN tells him where to fill it in. Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time, yes. So for example, the face was already green on Dittelman's drawing. So all he does it tell Howard, "Please select any color you would like at random" or whatever, he sees Howard select the green pen, and then he says, "Ok, I'm going to ask that you color in the face with that [randomly selected color.]" etc.
Ah, that makes sense and it also explains the color mismatch as Howard didn't follow directions and used the same color he used to draw the horns, to draw the goatee. Though the horn colors didn't really match either, so perhaps Dittelman messed up.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #525
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the act! I even went back through some of my Derren Brown* collection, and was impressed with the smooth professionalism of Mr. Brown as compared to the rather clumsy and nervous Dittleman. He'll do okay at birthday parties and some corporate events, but he does not belong in Vegas.

*I had first heard of Derren Brown only 14 months ago, and after having watched all of his (UK) shows, I am a big fan. I suggest people check him out on YouTube.
His book Tricks Of The Mind is a good read. I would like to read his book Pure Effect but even used copies are $150.00-$200.00.

Quote:

So he just waits to see the color Howard selects, and then tells him to which area to fill-in, based on Dittelman's drawing was done ahead of time.

I personally don't think Howard was is on it, but it really is irrelevant if he can see him the entire time. I personally think if Howard was in on it, they could have come up with a much more elaborate trick that wouldn't be solved just by seeing.
When I said Howard was in on it, I only meant that he had been instructed to show the markers to the camera and knew that Dittleman needed to see what color he was holding.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #526
MarkofT

Was there anything interesting other then the results on the results show? The local NBC affiliate preempted Wednesday to show a preseason Cowboys game. NBC is repeating on Sunday, but the local affiliate is preempting again to show the MDA telethon.

On both times, they moved the programming to a subchannel, but DirectTV doesn't carry subchannels.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #527
inaka

Quote:
When I said Howard was in on it, I only meant that he had been instructed to show the markers to the camera and knew that Dittleman needed to see what color he was holding.
Ahhh yes. I see what you mean then. Yeah, I agree. The producers probably told Howard to clearly show "the crowd" each color he selected so they could see, etc. But it was obvious that Dittleman needed to see the pens more than the crowd.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #528
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Was there anything interesting other then the results on the results show?
Neon Treeswould performed "Everybody Talks" - other than that, not really.

They padded the show by bringing out the acts 3 at a time and announcing which one was in the top four; at the end, they announced which two advanced to the final (which will have six acts), and had the judges choose which of the remaining two would be the third finalist.

Quote:
NBC is repeating on Sunday, but the local affiliate is preempting again to show the MDA telethon.
Telethon? You mean the "MDA Show of Strength"? It's only a three-hour show now, and as it's not shown live nationwide, they don't bother mentioning how much money they take in. Ironically, Hal David had just died; he co-wrote "What the World Needs Now is Love," which, for many years, was the song the band played every time the tote board registered another million dollars.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #529
steve614
what ru lookin at?

For the things that annoy you thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
and had the judges choose which of the remaining two would be the third finalist.
This is one thing that has annoyed me all season. It nullifies that part of the audience vote which makes me wonder if it's worth even voting at all.

I think they said the sand artist and the ventriloquist had less than 1% difference in voting numbers?
And they let the "judges" decide who gets to go through? That's BS (IMO).

/end rant.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #530
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I have this strange feeling there's something missing from the show this season.

Oh, wait - I know what it is:
Spoiler:
Somebody whose act doesn't involve singing is going to win this year (unless, for some unexplained reason, the Earth Harp act decides to add a singer and ends up winning)

I know Terry Fator is a ventriloquist, but one of the reasons he won was because his act involves impressions of famous singers.

So now the final six are...
Spoiler:
a dog act, a stand-up comic, a Latin dance troupe of kids, an "Earth harp" player, and a couple of artists (one that works with sand, and one with paint). If it was up to me, based on what I have seen so far, I'd go with the comic, but I'm having trouble figuring out some of the voting - given those final four acts in the second semi-final, I thought for sure that the top two would have been the ones involved in the judges' pick.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #531
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:

On both times, they moved the programming to a subchannel, but DirectTV doesn't carry subchannels.
Have you ever tried an antenna? Any kind will do. When my cable went out because a large truck knocked out the wires I tried using an AM/FM radio antenna that I simply stuck out the window. To my surprise I got all my local channels, including subchannels, although the CW was very pixelated.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #532
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Have you ever tried an antenna? Any kind will do. When my cable went out because a large truck knocked out the wires I tried using an AM/FM radio antenna that I simply stuck out the window. To my surprise I got all my local channels, including subchannels, although the CW was very pixelated.
I wish I could do that here. I live in a valley about 60 miles from two major markets (Indianapolis & Cincinnati). I would have to have an antenna tower to pickup anything. Radio stations don't even come in the best all the time.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #533
busyba
The Funcooker

I just hope tbe mariachi kid makes enough money of his newfound fame to buy a pair of tweezers...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #534
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

By the way, here is the antenna I used.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #535
morac
Cat God

Wow, not only the first year a singer won't win (including ones that sing with puppets ), but also the first year a singer didn't make even it into the finals. Finally.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #536
morac
Cat God

When did NBC buy the rights to American Bandstand?

I guess they had to do something since no singers made the final.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #537
bryhamm
randomize

Wish Tom Cotter had won.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #538
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Wish Tom Cotter had won.
Ditto. Olate Dogs were cute the first and second time I saw them, but their act got really stale and repetitive I thought.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #539
morac
Cat God

And to think we were making fun of Britain's Got Talent for having a dog act win. Still it's better than having another singer win and the dog act is quite good.

Don't feel too bad for Tom Cotter as I expect he'll show up on Comedy Central's comedy spotlight or something. He's too good to not have a future in comedy.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #540
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Don't feel too bad for Tom Cotter as I expect he'll show up on Comedy Central's comedy spotlight or something. He's too good not to have a future in comedy.
Comedy is tough to break through and his stint on Last Comic Standing didn't help then, but maybe just maybe making it 2nd on AGT will help.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote