Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #211
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
That is correct - it uses MRS streaming as the basis and either a MOCA or Ethernet connect is "required".

I put that in quotes, because I am not actually sure that it absolutely will not work (disabled) for wireless. But it is definately unsuported wirelessly...

If you do not have an ethernet drop at your TV, definately look into MOCA - you will apreciate it.

It should certainly work with a Wi-Fi media bridge. as long as everything is setup properly. Curently with my Premieres, I can get identical streaming and transfer speeds over a media bridge as when it's connected to the wired portion of my network. So I would expect the stream or the mini to be no different.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #212
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It should certainly work with a Wi-Fi media bridge. as long as everything is setup properly. Curently with my Premieres, I can get identical streaming and transfer speeds over a media bridge as when it's connected to the wired portion of my network. So I would expect the stream or the mini to be no different.
Yeah, I have an 802.11g bridge I could try tonight. I assume it'll work. Of course, better bandwidth = better stream.

Last edited by davezatz : 08-29-2012 at 12:42 PM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #213
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Yeah, I have an 802.11g bridge I could try tonight. I assume it'll work. Of course, better bandwidth = better stream.

I was thinking wireless N. At least that what my bridges use. I would think wireless G might be a little slow in handling several streams at once because of the low badwidth.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #214
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was thinking wireless N. At least that what my bridges use. I would think wireless G might be a little slow in handling several streams at once because of the low badwidth.
Yeah, it's definitely low. I think most people would be able to hardwire the Stream since it's small and it may be their Premiere that would need a bridge. Mine is ancient, hence the g speeds.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #215
jrtroo
User

I'm a little confused, I probably just did not understand some of these descriptions.

Does the stream have its own radio? Or is it using the wifi connected to the home router?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #216
jmpage2

In for one! It's worth it to me just for the side-loading.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #217
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Yeah, it's definitely low. I think most people would be able to hardwire the Stream since it's small and it may be their Premiere that would need a bridge. Mine is ancient, hence the g speeds.
Can you queue downloads, or must you manually invoke them, one at a time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #218
SugarBowl

Do you need a separate Tivo Stream for each Tivo Premiere that you want to stream from ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #219
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Can you queue downloads, or must you manually invoke them, one at a time?
Yeah, you can queue them. Just be prepared to leave your iPad plugged in and lit up for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Do you need a separate Tivo Stream for each Tivo Premiere that you want to stream from ?
No.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #220
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I'm a little confused, I probably just did not understand some of these descriptions.

Does the stream have its own radio? Or is it using the wifi connected to the home router?
The Stream is LAN Connected - no wifi and it doesn't need to be. Hook it up directy to your router.
IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE NEAR EITHER A TIVO OR A TV!

I think the question is "will it work with a wifi connected TiVo?" It should if you have enough bandwidth - but that is a big "IF" for a lot of people.

TiVo says - only hardwired TiVo's are supported.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #221
drosoph
Distinguished Member

As a Non-Winner, I tried to call the number and order one, but I was refused because I did not receive the email and do not have a "code" from the email.

Anyone not using their "winning" Golden Ticket for an MSRP+Tax+Shipping Stream?

Feature Requests: Collaborative Scheduling, Schedule WISHLIST on TCO, Boolean Searches (and,or,not)
(2) S1, (5) S2, (1) S2.5, (2) S3 Tivo, (1) Premiere, Stream
drosoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #222
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post

No the stream does not have a radio and yes it uses what ever you are currently using to broadcast wifi. The stream has to be hard wired through to the device that you are currently using to broadcast wifi.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #223
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosoph View Post
As a Non-Winner, I tried to call the number and order one, but I was refused because I did not receive the email and do not have a "code" from the email.
There is no code...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #224
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #225
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Quote:
There is no code...
I got had by a CSR 2nd call into them went MUCH better

Feature Requests: Collaborative Scheduling, Schedule WISHLIST on TCO, Boolean Searches (and,or,not)
(2) S1, (5) S2, (1) S2.5, (2) S3 Tivo, (1) Premiere, Stream

Last edited by drosoph : 08-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.
drosoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #226
Flojomojo
Handsome Devil

Big Grin

Quote:
Why are they leaving money on the table like this? I called them, offered to give them money, and they told me that if I didn't "like" their FB post and get an email back, they don't want to sell me one of their boxes? How completely odd, and lame?!
Flojomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #227
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
Why are they leaving money on the table like this? I called them, offered to give them money, and they told me that if I didn't "like" their FB post and get an email back, they don't want to sell me one of their boxes? How completely odd, and lame?!
I assume they have a limited number of units from their first shipment and those were the ones they can deliver by 9/5. I also assume another shipment is enroute since they're opening the doors wide on 9/6.

Last edited by davezatz : 08-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #228
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Seems like they have blown through their 600 units! When I called, they asked for my email address and very quickly made some comment about it being shiped out after the 5th - the date of general availability.

The "winners" are supposed to receive the unit ON September 5th.

A few days one way or the other does not matter to me - But hey, I am interested to know know if anyone who is not actually a sweepstakes winner, receives their TiVo Stream on September 5th.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #229
jmpage2

I had no such problem. I called the SALES number specifically and when TiVo SALES answered the phone I said "I'd like to pre-order the TiVo Stream". She told me they had one in the break room and it was very cool. The total transaction took perhaps 5 minutes. She also said that they would bump my order up to overnight shipping at no extra charge so that I got it within a day of when it was in the stores.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #230
Flojomojo
Handsome Devil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I had no such problem. I called the SALES number specifically and when TiVo SALES answered the phone I said "I'd like to pre-order the TiVo Stream". She told me they had one in the break room and it was very cool. The total transaction took perhaps 5 minutes. She also said that they would bump my order up to overnight shipping at no extra charge so that I got it within a day of when it was in the stores.
Nice. What number? Perhaps I'll try again.
Flojomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #231
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Dave...

I am pretty sure I know the answer - but It is worth the question...

If I have a home movie or other video on my media library (something other then a .tivo file), can I move the video to my Premier and then sideload it to the tablet?

Any restrictions on non .tivo files I guess is the real question.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #232
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
Nice. What number? Perhaps I'll try again.
877-289-8486
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #233
brentil

The $129 is also the MSRP. This is a hardware only product more like a slide remote or wifi bridge than another TiVo so one might expect the price to be less at other vendors once it has been out for a bit.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #234
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

WOO HOO just got my order in And I got the shipping for free even better

Last edited by Surrealone : 08-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #235
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Dave...

I am pretty sure I know the answer - but It is worth the question...

If I have a home movie or other video on my media library (something other then a .tivo file), can I move the video to my Premier and then sideload it to the tablet?

Any restrictions on non .tivo files I guess is the real question.
Good question, and I don't know the answer. I know things like the podcast downloads and Amazon videos won't come over, but I would assume video we moved over would be seen as any other "normal" recording. I'll check in with a beta tester I know and reply if/when I learn anything further.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #236
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
No the stream does not have a radio and yes it uses what ever you are currently using to broadcast wifi. The stream has to be hard wired through to the device that you are currently using to broadcast wifi.
Thanks. Great I can stick it in my basement out of the way, but annoying that I'll finally have to move my router to get a decent wifi signal to my detached garage!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #237
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Good question, and I don't know the answer. I know things like the podcast downloads and Amazon videos won't come over, but I would assume video we moved over would be seen as any other "normal" recording. I'll check in with a beta tester I know and reply if/when I learn anything further.
This is a great question I have tons of kids movies I transfer to my Tivo from PC/Media server. I also have other format movies that I like to transfer to my Tivo. I'm crossing my fingers that this is going to work.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #238
SWFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
Does anyone know if the iPhone/iPad app will support AirPlay? It would be awesome to stream to the iPad and then send it to the Apple TV to watch on the big screen.

And who knows, the Apple TV may be getting an app store of its own in the near future. A TiVo app directly on the Apple TV that taps into Stream? That would be even more awesome.
That would kind of suck due to bandwidth issues. You'll be streaming wirelessly to your iPad, then streaming wireless out from your iPad to your Apple TV. It would be better if Tivo just had an Apple TV app.

Unless this thing downloads to your iPad/iPhone before being able to watch the show. I haven't read all the details on this device so it may work that way and thus you wouldn't be trying to push/pull data simultaneously over one wifi connection.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."
SWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #239
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
That would kind of suck due to bandwidth issues. You'll be streaming wirelessly to your iPad, then streaming wireless out from your iPad to your Apple TV. It would be better if Tivo just had an Apple TV app.
People do with with Air Video, streaming from Air Video Server on their computers, AirPlaying to their TV, all the time.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/in...26B8D8B6370B81

Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #240
Dan203
Super Moderator

That falls into the same category as the Roku app we discussed earlier. (i.e. probably not going to happen) TiVo wants you to buy a Mini, or additional TiVo, for streaming to other TVs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote