Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
TWP reports my kernel is 2.4.20. Zipper takes care of LBA48.

Let's assume the system is finally stable. What benefit would there be to using a higher kernel?

FWIW: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=331394 discusses some 8.1 reboot issues.

my uptime is 1d2h (must have rebooted itself) so we wait and see what happens. TWP's report of TiVo time is static. What's the use of that?

Any idea how to get system updates to show in the TWP todo list? I thought they were visible but maybe that is only on-screen.
Didn't realize you updated your post.

The 7.2.2 kernel has native dhcp support, which 3.1.5 does not. There may be other fixes in there too, but not sure of what they are.

The reboot could be normal. I chose the "I want a phone line plugged in" option when running tweak.sh for callerid functionality and I still have a couple of soft reboots scheduled in my crontab:

Code:
# Run safereboot, so reboot only happens when nothing is recording.
25 9 * * 1,4 echo "`date` SCHEDULED REBOOT"; tivosh /enhancements/safereboot.tcl >> /var/log/cronlog-main
Don't know what you mean about system updates to show in the TWP todo list though...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
FredThompson

I pulled the power and did a cold boot. TWP menu is condensed and all worked, including creating SPs and Wishlists.

Then I used mfsadd to add a second drive and the system won't get past the "powering up" screen. Ran mfsadd on the drives again and it reports everything is proper. Remove power from the second drive and it continually reboots (maybe because it can't see drive 2?)

I don't care about CallerID and the unit is normally far away from any phone jack.

IIRC, Sleepered units would display entries in the ToDo list for updating scheduling information. I don't see that with Zipper. I didn't mean to imply OS updates. Sorry about the confusion.

Got a bunch of logos from web sites to add. Need to get palette ordering corrected.

Now I'm wondering about the second drive problem with the kernel. The system has to boot up and get running before the second drive is added, right? I'll try from scratch again and add the drive after initial boot and before tweak.sh. Annoying, to say the least.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Don't know about mfsadd with a second drive. In spite of all of the upgrades I've done over the years they have always been single drive.

FWIW, I'm now running my zippered HDVR2 with 6.4a in "production" with a 7.2.2 killhdinitrd kernel. I haven't bothered with mfs_ftp or tyftp at this point, but I did configure dhcp for the heck of it. So far the logs are clean and stability is good.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
FredThompson

Seems my hunch about mfsadd post-Zipper might be correct:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...te=1&p=9244757

Code:
I would use mfs tools to set up the drives and make sure they are working then Zipper the "A" drive.
Use the Zipper ISO to install 6.4a on drive A. Boot and get it running. mfsadd to add drive B. Boot and get it running. Zipper. Testing that now.

Well, that was a bust. I tried a 300 and a 400, both of which will function as the A drive. Could I get a B? No. Used the Zipper to get the A going. mfsadd claimed to work and gave a space rating but then the TiVo never got past the starting up screen. I wonder if the mfslive utils will work properly.

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #35
FredThompson

The 400 is the A and I don't have any others. A single 400 which works is better than 400+300, 300+400 or 300+300 which won't work. I've got multiple 300s and another S2 DTiVo which I'd like to use Thanksgiving-Christmas if dual-drive Zipper will work.

Do want to get mfs_ftp and/or tyftp going. SATA storage is half the price of IDE now so pulling streams via FTP and deleting en masse is attractive. The main benefit to on-box storage, for me, are shows with many repeats. I like to get duplicates and trash the smaller ones. Scripting FTP retrieval and automagically moving smaller copies of the same episode to a potential deletion area would be nice. Don't want auto-delete because it takes human eyes to verify a recording is good.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #36
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I had my first issue with my zippered HDVR2 after about about 1 day and 8 hours of uptime. Last night I was messing around with TiVoWebPlus (zipper stock version v2.1.b2) and had my browser lock up when looking at the kernel log. After that, twp was no longer accessible (but the process was running) and I could still telnet in and the TiVo functionality was working fine.

I woke up this morning to a gray screen and telnet no longer worked, so I pulled the plug and checked the logs when it came back up. I could see from the cron heartbeat logfile that the system seemed to lock up around the time I went to bed, but there were no errors to speak of. I upgraded twp to v2.1.b3 for the heck of it and will continue to monitor the situation...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
FredThompson

FWIW, I've got the cover off my DTiVo and replaced the fan with a Vantec ThermoFlow. Thought it would be a good idea to remove heat as a variable.

I've got 5 hours of uptime, 1 daily update and 1 weekly call stubbed.

Could the issue be the 2nd daily update?

Other forum is visible again. Maybe the solution really is to use 8.1 kernel and -8 USB drivers.

Also seeing lots of OOB packets and audio dropouts. DTV said there are issues with my locals but just saw this on a GAC show. Wonder if there is system-wide trouble.

TWP System | Configure has a toggle to show service updates in the ToDo list. Default is off.

EndPadPlus is coming up a little short so want to set it for 5 minutes on both sides. Modified etc/rc.d/rc.sysint.author so endpadplus is now 5 min both ways.

Still seeing wide TWP menu and can't make SPs or WL from it. Pretty sure that gets fixed after second night of updates.

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-23-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Other forum is visible again. Maybe the solution really is to use 8.1 kernel and -8 USB drivers.
Interesting, does the chainloading technique work with the zipper? This post by zoro255 (link) led me to believe that a typical zipper install could be stable with 6.4a.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
FredThompson

Don't know if chainloading is necessary. I'm running "stock" Zipper with 6.4a superpatch. NOT using -8 drivers right now.

I'm not sure what need there is for those 90 second delays. The default is working for me. Then again, maybe there is something on startup with 6.4a after a little while. I'll edit my author again to add those delays just in case. 3 minutes is longer than 30 seconds but if it keeps things stable...

I also found SP and SL creation worked once I used the TiVo remote to make a WL on-screen. Seem to recall that from every other rebuild I've done over the years, too.

Wondering about backing up TWP config because manually removing stations, creating SPs and WLs, etc. is time consuming for each rebuild.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #40
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I was just able to freeze up my HDVR2 by trying to ftp logs from it by doing an mget with wildcards. Hopefully that is due to a limited ftp server implementation and is not indicative of another problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #41
FredThompson

The speed test for FTP transfers on the other board discuss the risk of overloading the system. I wonder if adaptable speed is possible.

I've been up for a little over a day. Stable so far.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #42
FredThompson

2 days 13 hours of uptime. Next milestone is the 2/week reboot.

The only mods I've done to the "stock" zipper 6.4a install from InstantCake are:

6.4 superpatch
two 90 second delays in the author file
TivoWebPlus 2.1 b3 110622

single hard drive - dual always failed for me

To find/create:

TWP smart todo killer (title/year blacklist)
TWP smart NPL killer (3 possible settings per identical series/episode
option 1 = do nothing (default)
option D = keep 4 largest identical series/episode/broadcastdate entries
option K = keep 4 largest identical series/episode entries
TWP DailyMail Module
TWP logo palette sorter for PNGs to make "missing" logos
Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #43
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I've also been having good luck since I crashed my HDVR2 with ftp. My environment is slightly different because I didn't want to depend on paid products from DVRupgrade/Weaknees since they seem to have abandoned all support after acquiring them from PTVupgrade.

I have:
  • My own MFSLive 6.4a backup instead of InstantCake
  • My own 7.1.1 killhdinitrd'd kernel instead of the one from the LBA48 Boot CD version with Enhancements
  • Superpatch 1.2 patched to 1.15 for 6.4a support
  • Two 90 second delays in the author file as per zorro255
  • TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3 090121 (waiting on successor to 20120803 before upgrade)

Current uptime is 2 days 19 hours going into the scheduled reboot tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #44
FredThompson

Have you looked at stream integrity with TyTool? I'm seeing lots of audio mismatches and holes, even on national stations.

If there are any other DTiVo stream analysis methods, I don't know of them.

I also just realized that the ToDo kill list I mentioned above can be done with Global Blocklist which is inside the Zipper installs. The only part which is missing is automagically generating the page then hitting the delete button to kill the matches. Would be nice to do that on the DTiVo itself but maybe there's a script-based automation tool to be run from a PC with much shorter development. Don't see where TWP saves the pages it creates. It seems to create them as a stream and commands get parsed back to the TiVo.

NPL kill list as I mention would probably need to be external, possible a client to access via tserver or ftp.

Maybe the "best" solution is to use something like AutoIt and make a combined killer that gets run daily by Windoze's scheduler. Shame Windoze, Linux and Mac don't have a common web/ftp scripting method.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #45
FredThompson

I just had an idea:

The old ToDo list from TWP includes the cancel button at the bottom and the global blocklist module.

It would be trivial to modify that code so the button function is executed automatically when the page finished being displayed then a jump to another page such as the info page to prevent risk of a loop.

This modified code should have a different URL on the TiVo and NOT be easily accessed from TWP's main menu.

That would leave only a trigger. Would it be possible to use cron to send a page display request to TWP? If so, do it every 12 hours but then there needs to be some host to execute the Javascript. An external trigger might be the solution, either from a machine on the local net or possibly a free webspace page with a small script.

Best would be to keep it entirely internal.

Hmmm...wonder if the TWP NPL list can be modified to display file size so a similar method could automatically delete under-sized dupes so only n copies would remain. This would be a way to get the highest quality of a repetitive episode or show. There are a lot of these; cooking, how-to, gaming, religious, etc. which sometimes span networks.

(Yes, I know I have a habit of editing a post after I've saved it.)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #46
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Have you looked at stream integrity with TyTool? I'm seeing lots of audio mismatches and holes, even on national stations.

If there are any other DTiVo stream analysis methods, I don't know of them.
I have not. I will probably play around with mfs_ftp/tyftp this week though.

Also haven't looked under the hood of twp much since my tcl scripting skills aren't much to brag about, so you'd probably have to ask around at ddb to get better info.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #47
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I'm up to a 5 day 18 hour uptime on my zippered HDVR2 since the soft reboot didn't happen yesterday due to a scheduled recording. It has been very stable, but one weird parental controls/suggestions related issue has been a bit puzzling. I have parental controls and suggestions turned on and when I try to play a recorded suggestion I get prompted for the parental controls password even if the recorded program is TV-G (general audience). When I try to enter the password, it is never accepted and I get stuck in the password screen until it times out to live tv. Also, little TiVo guy icons are displayed as the password digits are typed instead of the asterisks used elsewhere. Very odd...

Also, I've been playing around with tyftpd v1.8 and MovieLoader v0.17c and have been impressed with how easy it is to set up and use. If nothing else, tyftpd is still actively being developed and is so much easier to deal with than mfs_ftp since you don't have to manually install so many patches to get the thing up and running.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #48
FredThompson

I'll be interested in know about tyftpd if it works out. tserver kept breaking on small files. It seems there was some real stream problems over the past couple of days. Maybe that is related to the hurricane moisture. I'm NE of that area but we've had lots of rain. I really like the way TyTool shows recording size which is a great way to know which dupes to kill. So many shows have repeats that I like to get dupes and kill the smaller ones before watching the largest on the TV. TWP doesn't show file size in the NPL. I've also noticed the kill list in old ToDo gets reset at times. Considering combining code from both ToDo displays because the newer one doesn't show original broadcast year. I tested ty from TWP and it's slow as can be. Lots of MPEG problems in the small streams. Looks like smearing, as if the pointers are intact but data to which they point is missing. Lots of holes in the streams, too. Wish there was an on-box stream health scan.
--

I'm now looking at tyStreamJ. Don't know if it supports deleting or if the retrieved list includes broadcast DTG and size. Maybe the best option for my auto-kill IS to run it through a browser for Javascript support. tyStreamJ has CLI support so maybe the NPL auto-kill could be written as a Java app and run with a scheduler on a Windoze, Mac or *nix box. Wonder if there is a CLI method to retrieve the ToDo and delete from it. That would be nice. A combined NPL/ToDo killer as a standalone Java app which can be run automatically would be nice. To illustrate, I've got the DVDs for past episodes of some shows which are still running new episodes. The TiVo should get set to get all episodes of such a series. The kill app, run daily, would remove those for which I have. TiVos "new only" setting won't work unless you have ALL the past episodes. It also won't work for wishlists. I've started to use them since special eps frequently aren't in the series. For example, look at "Good Eats" and you'll see the series is running on Food and Cooking but the special about BBQ is NOT in that list. There was a Closer special a few years ago which happened this way, too. I'm not planning RegEx killlist, I just want something more powerful than the TiVo standard.

---

tySuiteJ appear to list length only in megabytes. I'm looking for a way to list the recording time as well. Would be nice to know (and pre-select for deletion) recordings which are truncated. A 30-minute show which is only 24 minutes in length is incomplete. You can see this on-screen. Need a way to see this by computer.

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #49
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I had another "Activity Phone strayed!" reboot overnight like this one after fakecall.tcl was run from cron. Based on some reading I'm wondering if this is because the scheduled reboot on Monday didn't happen due to a scheduling recording at the same time?