TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
JeffreyF

VPN for Two TiVOs

I have a TiVO Premier Elite and a TiVO Series3 that are in two separate locations, however, belong to a network that is connected through a VPN.

Although both TiVO's are on the DMZ part of the network, they do not see each other as one TiVO is on the domain of 192.168.1.X while the other TiVO is on the domain of 192.168.5.X. Both domains are linked to each other through the VPN and can see other other.

I would like the Series3 to be able to download programs already recorded from the TiVO Premier Elite.

How can I do this through the existing VPN?

Thank you in advance for your help.

JeffreyF
JeffreyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
puffdaddy

In short, some of the protocols involved (Apple's Rendezvous for discovery) only work within a single subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x) and can't be routed between different subnets (as I believe you're trying to do).

It's possible to set up a bridged VPN so that broadcast traffic is forwarded, meaning that protocols like SMB/CIFS and Rendezvous will work across the VPN. An OpenVPN bridged configuration using tap not tun is one way to do this, but it's not trivial. See here for more a prior discussion of this: link.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
ADent

Here is somebody that got it to work over a VPN. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...h-a-vpn.29916/

You have to have the same subnet on both sides which complicates things.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
kdmorse

In case there's any doubt, yes - it works just fine over a bridged VPN. And if both sides are FIOS, it does HD MRS just fine over a bridged VPN - almost indistinguishable from local.

(We put a lot of work into trying to make it work over a routed vpn. Helper forwarders, a little tivo protocol aware repeater on each router, and got it kinda working, but it was never reliable. So we went with a fully bridged tagged vlan, and it's been rock solid...)
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
puffdaddy

Out of curiosity, what was the FIOS upstream speed that allowed HD MRS (am I correct to assume that the transferred HD video was one recorded from FIOS TV--which I believe is a slightly lower bit-rate than OTA HD)?
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
Out of curiosity, what was the FIOS upstream speed that allowed HD MRS (am I correct to assume that the transferred HD video was one recorded from FIOS TV--which I believe is a slightly lower bit-rate than OTA HD)?
The only datapoints I have are:

20x5 - Insufficient. MRV works (pins the line), but MRS is a no go.
20x20 - Sufficient. MRV works at about 2x real speed. MRS work beautifully

My memory is that we noted MRS was using about 12Mbps up, but don't quote me on that. This was HBOHD, which in theory would be one of their higher bitrate channels.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Here is somebody that got it to work over a VPN. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...h-a-vpn.29916/

Thanks. I'm hoping if I can ever convince my girlfriend to get FIOS that I can setup something llike this. With my 150/65 tier I should not have any upload speed issues.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
The only datapoints I have are:

20x5 - Insufficient. MRV works (pins the line), but MRS is a no go.
20x20 - Sufficient. MRV works at about 2x real speed. MRS work beautifully
Thanx for the useful data.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
JeffreyF

Thank you for sharing the VPN solution. Glad to see that it has been done and proven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post

JeffreyF is offline   Reply With Quote