TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #31
DougF

I saw a little here and there over the last two years and I liked the dynamic they had with Steven and Jennifer. Now that they have another diva to replace Jennifer, I'll throw out Kid Rock to replace Steven. I saw some of his episode of "Crossroads" with Hank Jr. and recently saw him in concert and the guy's got personality.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I do think a country artist would be ideal... I'd say Shania Twain, since she straddles (or straddled... not sure if she's still recording or not, haven't heard from her in ages) the line between pop and country. Alternately, Jennifer Nettles would also work, although she might now be in a non-compete from her time with ABC's "Duets."
Shania Twain hasn't recorded anything at all since her husband cheated on her with her best friend.... and then she ended up marrying her best friend's husband. Essentially, they just traded spouses, creepy really. But, I admit Shania Twain wouldn't have gotten close with the other husband had her husband and best friend not had their affair to start with. Oh and Shania did have a reality show on OWN for a bit, even the country music fan that I am, lost interest quick. So my vote for Shania Twain as a judge on American Idol would be NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I'd love to see Trace Adkins, but I don't think he'd be mean enough (Simon-esque) to make it worthwhile.
Trace Adkins would be FAR to nice!! If you've ever seen him in an interview or anything like it, he's the nicest guy he can be. I don't know that he would have it in him to be honest with the contestants.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Put Ted Nugent on there!!
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Not one of MY faves, but someone like Kelly Clarkson would have potential, simply because she's been through the process and knows what it entails and can lead to.

As long as whomever it is can be brutally honest, it really doesn't matter. The show is practically dead anyway. I heard that Randy was considering leaving, too. What happened with that? Probably offered too much money to refuse!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Not one of MY faves, but someone like Kelly Clarkson would have potential, simply because she's been through the process and knows what it entails and can lead to.
Kelly Clarkson has said that she would not be willing to be a judge on the show (and that she sees herself more as the mentor type). She suggested they try to get Carrie Underwood to be a judge this season.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
Cainebj

there's a report going around that they are talking to Joe Jonas and Puff Daddy P Diddy Poor Doddy or whatever he calls himself today.
(seriously that would end the show for me.)
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I liked Neil Patrick Harris and Shania Twain when they did guest judge gigs.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara

Shania Twain hasn't recorded anything at all since her husband cheated on her with her best friend.... and then she ended up marrying her best friend's husband. Essentially, they just traded spouses, creepy really. But, I admit Shania Twain wouldn't have gotten close with the other husband had her husband and best friend not had their affair to start with. Oh and Shania did have a reality show on OWN for a bit, even the country music fan that I am, lost interest quick. So my vote for Shania Twain as a judge on American Idol would be NO.

Trace Adkins would be FAR to nice!! If you've ever seen him in an interview or anything like it, he's the nicest guy he can be. I don't know that he would have it in him to be honest with the contestants.
Shania Twain actually did have a new recording in the last year. It did "OK" but didn't seem to get much airplay. She had developed a pretty bad and persistent case of stage fright, but that has happened to other artists in the past as well and given how her marriage broke up and the relative importance of her ex to her career it is not a surprise that she had issues resuming her career as a singer.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #39
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
Shania Twain actually did have a new recording in the last year. It did "OK" but didn't seem to get much airplay. She had developed a pretty bad and persistent case of stage fright, but that has happened to other artists in the past as well and given how her marriage broke up and the relative importance of her ex to her career it is not a surprise that she had issues resuming her career as a singer.
That "new" Shania song was "Today is Your Day" a highly repetitive song that repeats that lyric over and over again. That's probably why it didn't get that much airplay (as it would have bored listeners quickly).

She also worked with Lionel Richie on his Tuskeegee project, on the song Endless Love.

Meanwhile, she is readying for a resumption of her live performance career, with a show planned for 12/1/12 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Hopefully that will get her career going again and maybe we'll see more substantial recordings from her not long after
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
retrodog
King Button Pusher

NO CURRENT SINGERS/PERFORMERS!!!

This is what ruined this last season. And I'm a fan of ST, and I like JLo ok. But the problem is that they are afraid to tell anyone the cold hard truth because they don't want to hurt their own fan base. And then they always want to get up and perform. I hate that.

Paula was always too nice to the contestants but she had Simon there to counter her remarks. That's what made it entertaining. Last season was so sugar coated that it was hardly worth watching.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #41
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post

This is what ruined this last season. And I'm a fan of ST, and I like JLo ok. But the problem is that they are afraid to tell anyone the cold hard truth because they don't want to hurt their own fan base. And then they always want to get up and perform. I hate that.

Paula was always too nice to the contestants but she had Simon there to counter her remarks. That's what made it entertaining. Last season was so sugar coated that it was hardly worth watching.
I like that, and I'll add that while everyone in show biz is a self-promoter, if a performer is going to be a judge on Idol, it is for the sole purpose of jump-starting/rebooting their career. That's what it was all about for J-Lo and S-Ty. No one benefited from them being judges but them. Mariah, Britney and their ilk are doing the same thing.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #42
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I got to thinking about another potential Country artist that might make a good judge, especially given a little bit of past controversy because the guy that I'm thinking about was irritated at what he considered a one-hit wonder: Travis Tritt (who was said to be fueding with Billy Ray Cyrus, having reportedly insulted his rise to stardom on Achy Breaky Heart)

Tritt, at least if the news of old was true, would likely be one that would call it as he sees it and could perhaps be tough enough to lob the bad news out there for the wannbe stars.

To me that is still what is needed here, someone that is not afraid to be mean to the contestants (and honestly, is it all that mean to tell someone who just doesn't have the talent that they are wasting their time and will never be a singer?)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
crawlernight11

Simon Back

I think they could bring back Simon. He was the only person who in spite of being funny but really honest. He gave direct and open feedback of what he felt right on the spot. Especially, he never cared about what other judges felt and wanted the contestant to know that the life of glam and being famous is not easy. I just hope he comes back and spice up the show.
crawlernight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #44
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlernight11 View Post
I think they could bring back Simon. He was the only person who in spite of being funny but really honest. He gave direct and open feedback of what he felt right on the spot. Especially, he never cared about what other judges felt and wanted the contestant to know that the life of glam and being famous is not easy. I just hope he comes back and spice up the show.
Except that he the owner, producer, and a judge on a competing show (The X-Factor). Even though the shows are both on FOX, I don't think there's any way he'd come back to Idol.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #45
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Except that he the owner, producer, and a judge on a competing show (The X-Factor). Even though the shows are both on FOX, I don't think there's any way he'd come back to Idol.
Not to mention the creator of Idol is suing Cowell for "copying" his show. I can't see Simon ever coming back. He jumped ship just in time if you ask me. While I'll still watch the show, I don't get behind the singers like I used to and I haven't agreed with "America's choice" for the winner in years. It's a shadow of it's former self. JLo and Steven were very entertaining but it was clear they were there to benefit themselves and as soon as they did that, they too jumped ship. It's gonna probably be a revolving door for the next few years...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #46
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Not to mention the creator of Idol is suing Cowell for "copying" his show. I can't see Simon ever coming back. He jumped ship just in time if you ask me. While I'll still watch the show, I don't get behind the singers like I used to and I haven't agreed with "America's choice" for the winner in years. It's a shadow of it's former self. JLo and Steven were very entertaining but it was clear they were there to benefit themselves and as soon as they did that, they too jumped ship. It's gonna probably be a revolving door for the next few years...
and that.

Idol is just a shadow of what it used to be, and the X-Factor isn't as good as Idol. It's too bad - it's like a divorce where everyone ends up in worse shape than they were before and we (the kids, in this analogy) suffer the most. And because it was a bitter divorce and because of the pride of the parties involved (and many other things), there's no going back.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm curious - if idol were to somehow get Rosie O'Donnell to take a judges role, would that be a good thing for the show or a bad thing?

Back in 2010 there were rumors that she might be in line to become a judge but it never happened. I realize she is definitely a lightning rod for some people, but the question is if she were to take the job would she be mean enough? Would she be able to judge the talent for musical ability or would she just be there following in Ellen's (failed) shoes?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #48
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was just thinking, this has totally been a lost opportunity for FOX and it's partners... they probably should have gone with a Glee Project type reality show to create their own new star judge here. They could have taken the "off-season" for Idol to run a "Next Idol Judge" reality show for one of the slots.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #49
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm curious - if idol were to somehow get Rosie O'Donnell to take a judges role, would that be a good thing for the show or a bad thing?

Back in 2010 there were rumors that she might be in line to become a judge but it never happened. I realize she is definitely a lightning rod for some people, but the question is if she were to take the job would she be mean enough? Would she be able to judge the talent for musical ability or would she just be there following in Ellen's (failed) shoes?
Unless they put her behind a screen to hide her face and distorted her voice, they would completely lose me as a longtime viewer. I cannot stand the woman. It would definitely be a kiss of death!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #50
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I think Rosie as a judge would be a bad thing. I wouldn't watch.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #51
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:

Horrible horrible idea.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #52
Cainebj

I LOVE Rosie - and sorry to hear about her heart attack - but I think she would have not been considered given her failed TV show talk show...

There are new rumors.

And it goes as follows -

They are changing to a 4 judge format (gee so The Voice).
Randy is becoming a "mentor"
The 3 leading candidates for new judges apparently are...

wait for it

Nicky Minaj
Keith Urban
Enrique Inglesias
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #53
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Wow. Nicki Minaj alone would put me right off the show, not to mention Enrique Iglesias. Blech.

I have no problem with a rap or hip-hop artist as a judge, per se, and I do think that Nicki can spit it. She also has a few good songs - I like the radio edits of "Fly," "Super Bass," and "Moment 4 Life." I just think that Nicki is too often style over substance, a cheap rap knockoff of Lady GaGa. Also, while I understand rap enough to understand that coarse/vulgar language is used for lyrical value, I think that Nicki is simply crass and crude simply for the shock of it all... or possibly no reason at all. Frankly, the word I'd use for Nicki's music is "cheap."

No problem with Keith Urban, don't know anything about him really.

Last edited by LoadStar : 08-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #54
jamesl

pay the big bucks and get
1) Brian May
2) Dolly Parton
3) Brandy (or Toni Braxton)
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #55
Allanon

I'd like to see Will-i-am, thought he did a good job mentoring.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #56
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
But with rare exceptions, nobody's really a "former" singer until they die. Is Steven Tyler anything more than a nostalgia act himself?

EDIT: or what tivoboyjr said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #57
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Apparently Katy Perry was offered more money than JLo and turned it down.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/...million-offer/
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #58
Sadara
huh?

I heard on the radio the other day that Brad Paisley is out as a potential judge. Couldn't make it work with his tour schedule this year.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #59
Sadara
huh?

Ha, clearly I'm totally out of the loop.... just looked and the new judges have been decided already.

http://www.huliq.com/12092/done-deal...an-idol-judges
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #60
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara View Post
Ha, clearly I'm totally out of the loop.... just looked and the new judges have been decided already.

http://www.huliq.com/12092/done-deal...an-idol-judges
That's...interesting.

I don't know anything about Keith Urban other than he's a country guy and I think he's married to Nicole Kidman. Or maybe that's a different guy.

Nicki Minaj isn't bad to look at but seems even dumber than Mariah, so my first impression is that we're in for another season of inane comments from the judges.