Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #151
skywalkm
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
Is there any way to control a tuner? I thought I remembered it being described as a "mini" for the iPad. Much less useful as a recorded stream only device.
I don't think so, but can't you kind of do that now with the existing app?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #152
Aero 1

i didnt get the email but what is stopping me from calling and ordering? did they ask for something specific to the winner? i dont see a code in the email

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #153
innocentfreak

No listing on Amazon yet for preorder, but we will probably have to wait for the official announcement next week before it goes live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #154
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even if did get the email. Since the pri e with shipping and taxes is higher and it doesn't work with android initially. I might as well wait until BestBuy has it and get it for a lower price. And hopefully by then it will be available on Androids devices.

Besides I would have thought Android might have been first since more people have those devices.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #155
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Besides I would have thought Android might have been first since more people have those devices.
I was talking in one of these threads, maybe this one, and they said the Android app was still missing things that had been fixed or added to the IOS version. I wonder if they don't have a dedicated Android team.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #156
bradleys
It'll be fine....

OK, so if I am understanding the details correctly - this is interesting...

The contest only allows you to pre-order. As I understand it, general release will be on September 5th and at that time everyone will be able to order at that point. The 600 will get the first shipment - after the general release.

Any of the winners want to confirm what have been told?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #157
WVZR1

No mail here either! Looks like an initial savings of $150! It's great to be "passed over" - I maybe a little later to the "party" but the ticket in might be something substantially less.

The kick in the arse on the Elite still has me a little irritated.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #158
generaltso

I didn't get the email, but I just called and ordered one anyway. They don't check anything, so apparently the "sweepstakes" is kinda bogus. Anyone can call and pre-order. They say that it will arrive on 9/5, but it's also shipping via UPS Ground so I would think they will have to ship it out soon. The total was $137.91 with shipping (no tax). I wonder if you wait until 9/4 to call if they make you pay for overnight shipping.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #159
overFEDEXed

I got the email

I wish that it was for the IP-STB. I guess that I will go ahead and order it.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #160
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradik View Post
Ahh, I did not know that. Sorry, never explored with tivo-to-tivo, only have 1 tivo and TV. It's kind of baffling why they wouldn't allow Tivo-to-Tivo (by they I mean the content providers, I know Tivo is just following the rules). But at the same time, it still would have been nice for them to work out some sort of a deal. Don't know how possible that would be, but it would have made it much nicer of a service.
These are the rules for CableCARD, they have nothing to do with the specific providers or channels. Basically the flag marks the show "copy once", which means only one copy of the program can exist at a given time. They can stream the program to another room or device because they are not making a copy, but they can not move it to another device or it violates the CableCARD rules. They might be able to move the show, rather then copy it, but I've never seen a clear answer if that's OK or not. And even if it were TiVo doesn't currently have that ability so they'd have to add it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #161
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I didn't get the email, but I just called and ordered one anyway. They don't check anything, so apparently the "sweepstakes" is kinda bogus. Anyone can call and pre-order.
What phone number? can you PM me the details?
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #162
Dan203
Super Moderator

Me too, I want to order one.

Instead of making this a stupid sweepstake they should have just made it the first 600 people to call and order. Half the people who "won" probably aren't even going to buy

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #163
Ky_Shag
Shaggy Dog

877 289-8486
i had to pay tax Order Total: $ 146.19
Ky_Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #164
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
What phone number? can you PM me the details?
I called the number in the "Shop by Phone" section on TiVo.com, which is (877)289-8486.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #165
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

what about shows I transfer to my premier from my S3? Will I be able to steam the shows?
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #166
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Instead of making this a stupid sweepstake they should have just made it the first 600 people to call and order. Half the people who "won" probably aren't even going to buy
I'd be surprised if they end up with 600 preorders. If I knew for sure that the Stream would be available at Amazon on 9/5, I would just wait and save the shipping cost.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #167
smbaker

Did you select option 1 (order a tivo box) or option 2 (other stuff) ?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #168
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Did you select option 1 (order a tivo box) or option 2 (other stuff) ?
Option 1
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #169
Ky_Shag
Shaggy Dog

yup op1
Ky_Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #170
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
what about shows I transfer to my premier from my S3? Will I be able to steam the shows?
No. You'll only be able to stream from a Premiere unit. This basically taps into the Multi-Room Streaming capability of Premiere units. MRS doesn't work with S3 units, so neither will this.

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #171
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
I don't think Dan read your post correctly. You can stream any recordings from your Premiere. So if you copied recordings from an S3 to the Premiere, that should work fine.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #172
Dan203
Super Moderator

You're right I read it backwards. I thought he was asking about streaming shows he transferred to the S3 from the Premiere. If you're transferring from the S3 to the Premiere then that will work, but you'll have to wait for the transfer to finish before you can start watching.

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #173
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
No. You'll only be able to stream from a Premiere unit. This basically taps into the Multi-Room Streaming capability of Premiere units. MRS doesn't work with S3 units, so neither will this.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I don't think Dan read your post correctly. You can stream any recordings from your Premiere. So if you copied recordings from an S3 to the Premiere, that should work fine.
Thank you
Quote:
You're right I read it backwards. I thought he was asking about streaming shows he transferred to the S3 from the Premiere. If you're transferring from the S3 to the Premiere then that will work, but you'll have to wait for the transfer to finish before you can start watching.

Dan
time the all read backwards I ok That's
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #174
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I called the number in the "Shop by Phone" section on TiVo.com, which is (877)289-8486.
Decisions, decisions. I really want one of these, but I have an Amazon gift card worth enough to cover it. If I knew for sure it would be available on Amazon soon I'd just wait, but if not then I'll just pay TiVo the $150 and get it now.

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #175
drebbe
Carbon Blob

I was not a "sweepstakes winner", but had no issues ordering one. In the eyes of TiVo, we are all winners I guess...
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #176
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
I was not a "sweepstakes winner", but had no issues ordering one. In the eyes of TiVo, we are all winners I guess...
In the eyes of Charlie Sheen, "Duh! Winning!"
Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #177
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradik View Post
"When your family's favorite shows are only as far away as the nearest iPad®, iPhone® or iPod touch®, everybody's happier."
Not everybody.

Quote:
Watch a show on your smartphone or tablet
Correction- watch a show on your iphone or ipad only, as it's being recorded

Quote:
Wirelessly transfer shows to your smartphone or tablet within
Ditto

If it supported the #1smartphone platform and #2 tablet platform, I would jump on it for $129. Let the waiting begin...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #178
falken98

No email. I thought for sure everyone would be a "winner" since the prize is a chance to pay MSRP+shipping+tax for the product.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #179
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If it supported the #1smartphone platform and #2 tablet platform, I would jump on it for $129. Let the waiting begin...
#2 of 2. I bet it's #3 by the end of next year.

I've mentioned this before but the main problem with Android is segmentation. It may be the #1 smartphone platform, but there are dozens of different versions and configurations you have to account for when writing an app. It's a PITA!

Plus I think the vast majority of users of this device are going to use tablets for viewing, which right now means a iPads. Phones are just too small to provide an enjoyable video viewing experience for most people. (although some of those new Android "phones" are damn near tablets)

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #180
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
#2 of 2. I bet it's #3 by the end of next year.
I would take that bet

Quote:
I've mentioned this before but the main problem with Android is segmentation. It may be the #1 smartphone platform, but there are dozens of different versions and configurations you have to account for when writing an app. It's a PITA!
I agree that fragmentation can be an issue, but properly written Android apps (of which many are not) can overcome most of those issues. It will never be perfect, nor will it be as easy as targeting a locked-up, single-vendor, low-choice, walled-garden product like Apple phones/tablets.

Yet Apple has it's own mini-fragmentation going on with its own several models now (each with different processing power, resolution, screen size, GPU capabilities, and maximum OS rev) and the mini ipad coming out soon to further muddy it.

Quote:
Plus I think the vast majority of users of this device are going to use tablets for viewing, which right now means a iPads. Phones are just too small to provide an enjoyable video viewing experience for most people. (although some of those new Android "phones" are damn near tablets)
I have to admit, I am far less interested in a using a phone with this stuff than my Xoom (tablet). Even though I have a "superphone" (Evo LTE) watching even a large phone screen that is "only" 4.7" while somewhere else AT HOME is probably not something terribly wonderful. Nexus 7? Probably. 10" Xoom/Infiniti/whatever.... certainly.

I think you and I are probably in the majority, but who knows, I have been surprised by such things in the past.