Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #121
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
+2 on no interest. For me nothing I record is copy protected so I can download stuff I need and edit out commercials, etc. and put shows on any device I want. Plus since I already have a Slingbox I can watch via internet if desired as well. i.e. Much more capability than this box will offer. I can understand the interest from some but it's a pass for me. I too doubt very much it will be under $100 at least for initial release. TiVo has always surprised me on the up side as far as initial pricing goes. I'm more interested in the Mini.
And that is exactly what hope this device will help with. Yes, I have moved a movies to my computer and then used KMTTG to decrypt, strip commercials and properly format the file for use on an iPad.

The process works - some of the time. Unfortunately, I continue to experience problems with audio being out of sync with video and other quality issues in the end product.

And while the tools are fantastic, it is still a burden to move / clip / sync to videos. If I am getting ready for a trip, I really do not have time for all that.

A method that will allow me to browse my videos, simply select the ones I want to watch later and walk away - that would be fantastic! And frankly, a dedicated transcoder is really huge for me.

And all this functionality when I am getting ready to ditch the iPAD!!!!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #122
innocentfreak

This is why I am hoping someone will be able to figure out how to use the Stream with KMTTG. Transferring shows that are already transcoded would be nice. Now this is assuming the quality is high enough that when it is pushed back to the TiVo it still looks as good as the original or close to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #123
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
I love the people that make an effort to come into these threads just to say they are not interested. Lol
If TiVo does watch these forums at all, we would hope that widespread lack of interest or specific reservations might cause them to improve the feature set or the pricing structure of the unit in order to increase its appeal. My 2-cents worth: Even if I had cable, I also wouldn't pay monthly for a box like the new TiVo Mini, since there's no reason for it to have a monthly fee.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #124
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I've been told that TiVo will announce the contest winners tomorrow.
Anyone hear anything yet?
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #125
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I heard they're having another raffle, and the winners of this raffle will get the list of email addresses that have been chosen from the first raffle, which corresponds to the names of people who will be granted a chance to be entered onto the wait list in order to be chosen as potential buyers to pre-order this product still-in-beta.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #126
Rebate_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Anyone hear anything yet?
its only 9am in TiVo land. Give them time to have a cup of coffee first :-).

Anyone else think this is one of those "everyone wins" contests? Like when you go to a billiards hall and you put your business card into a bowl for a chance to win free pool for a party of 10+. Basically its two pool tables from 5-7pm (dead time anyway) and they get you to bring a crowd in and buy drinks and food for a time they normally wouldn't be getting much business.
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #127
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebate_King View Post
its only 9am in TiVo land. Give them time to have a cup of coffee first :-).
I want to pre-order my stream. NOW!

(which means I'll be the one guy here to not win)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebate_king
Anyone else think this is one of those "everyone wins" contests?
Although they said '600 winners', I wouldn't be surprised. 75% of the people in this thread (a totally made up statistic that I just pulled out of my arse) have said they won't buy the device if it costs > $100, and it's almost certainly going to cost > $100. Then we have to add the people who don't have iDevices, the people who entered the contest thinking they would 'win' something and not the opportunity to buy something, those who the wife tells them that a Tivo Stream is not necessary, etc. I suspect less than 10% of those who "win" will order.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #128
OrangeWhip

I just got the confirmation that I can pre-order one for only $129.99. That seems pretty steep to me.
OrangeWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #129
Eradik

Just got my email. Launches september 5th for 129.99. Preorder by the 4th.

Streams really DO come true.
You have an exclusive opportunity to be the first to receive the NEW TiVo Stream before it is released to the public. The TiVo Stream is the next evolution in the TiVo experience and will change the way you watch TV forever.

Call by September 4th (noon PST) to order your new TiVo Stream and receive it on September 5th*. The TiVo Stream is just $129.99 with no additional service fee.

What is TiVo Stream?
When your family's favorite shows are only as far away as the nearest iPad®, iPhone® or iPod touch®, everybody's happier. The groundbreaking TiVo Stream ends those family fights over the TV. From the top bunk in the twin's room to Dad's backyard hammock, all your recorded shows are now with you wherever you are. Need to hit the road? Use Stream to transfer your shows to your mobile device and bring them to ballet class or on business class. Now the best things on TV are no longer stuck on TV.

Product Overview
Stream shows to up to 3 different mobile devices in your home simultaneously
Watch a show on your smartphone or tablet as it's being recorded - almost like watching live TV
Wirelessly transfer shows to your smartphone or tablet within your home - then take them anywhere
Download a 1-hour show to your mobile device in as little as 15 minutes
Eradik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #130
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just got the email too! Woo hoo! I'm a "winner!"

Posted yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Optimistically, I am hoping it'll be $99 (or less.) I will pay up to $129.
D'oh!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #131
Eradik

For 129.99 I don't feel like a winner. I'll pass, and/or wait to see how people like it first.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #132
Rebate_King

No email for me yet. Guess I didn't "win". I'm sure this box will be $99 or less online (other than tivo.com) by the holidays. Maybe as low as $70 on amazon.
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #133
Philmatic

Oh come on, $129 is an excellent price for something that can transcode 3 streams simultaneously, especially without a service fee. My only beef with it is that I need a Windows app before I bite, preferably a Windows 8 app.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #134
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Nothing for me... Oh, well - I was ready to REALLY test it out for them!

Slightly disapointed...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #135
Eradik

I just read the bottom "terms":

Not all programs may be transferred using TiVo Stream due to the use of copy protection mechanisms permitted under the FCC's encoding rules. Some shows cannot be transferred due to the copy protection assigned them by the program provider. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon.

So, it sounds like they are using the same as transferring rules that are to a PC. Sad. I was hoping that since it was being transferred to their "app" that it would ignore copy protection, since the app theoretically would lock it to only your device. I watch a lot of HBO/Showtime, so this kind of sucks. (Yes, I know there is HBO/MAX Go, but without unlimited data anymore, I try not to use this away from wifi).

Maybe it transfers to your 'Videos' app and therefore can pull it out using a computer. I would have rather had them make you have to use their app to prevent this, if it allowed me to transfer copy protected shows to watch on the go.

I can only assume that since the terms said transfer, that it will still stream inside the home. But, why would I watch a show on my iPhone instead of my HDTV?

For sure going to pass. Too bad.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #136
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradik View Post
I just read the bottom "terms":

Not all programs may be transferred using TiVo Stream due to the use of copy protection mechanisms permitted under the FCC's encoding rules. Some shows cannot be transferred due to the copy protection assigned them by the program provider. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon.

So, it sounds like they are using the same as transferring rules that are to a PC. Sad. I was hoping that since it was being transferred to their "app" that it would ignore copy protection, since the app theoretically would lock it to only your device. I watch a lot of HBO/Showtime, so this kind of sucks. (Yes, I know there is HBO/MAX Go, but without unlimited data anymore, I try not to use this).

Maybe it transfers to your 'Videos' app and therefore can pull it out using a computer. I would have rather had them make you have to use their app to prevent this, if it allowed me to transfer copy protected shows to watch on the go.
Those are the rules they are forced to work with to even be able to record these programs. You aren't even able to copy a show from one TiVo to another TiVo in your same household if the CCI byte is set, what makes you think they will let you re-encode it and take it with you on a portable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradik View Post
But, why would I watch a show on my iPhone instead of my HDTV?
Being able to watch recorded shows outdoors while your grilling or just sitting around would be a good use case. Temporary viewing of TV in the garage without having to haul out a TV, your TiVo and having to find electricity and coax hookups.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #137
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wonder if the Mini will be priced similarly?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #138
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I'm in.. Gonna try it $129 not gonna break me
Surrealone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #139
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wonder if the Mini will be priced similarly?
That would be HUGE! I would sell my two premieres, get an XL4 and 3 Mini's.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #140
smbaker

No email for me.

I'd have bought one too, at $129.

Are they sending out codes for people to redeem this? or is it keyed to email address? I wonder if people will start selling their codes on ebay, like they did with nest invites.

Does the email say when they are shipping?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #141
wombat94

I also just got the email confirming that I "won" as well.

I'm definitely tempted. $129 with no service fee is a pretty tempting price point for me.

We've got two premieres, 4 people, two iPads and multiple iPhones in the house... streaming of all recorded content and transferring of most content for offline viewing could be very nice.

Ted
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #142
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
If my upstream is fast enough, I really don't get why they won't let me stream video content remotely, outside my home, to my iPad (especially since they already won't let me transfer the majority of video, due to the CCI flag.) I'd like to experiment with this, maybe even try to set it up via my VPN, to see if I can get it to work.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #143
Eradik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Those are the rules they are forced to work with to even be able to record these programs. You aren't even able to copy a show from one TiVo to another TiVo in your same household if the CCI byte is set, what makes you think they will let you re-encode it and take it with you on a portable device.
Ahh, I did not know that. Sorry, never explored with tivo-to-tivo, only have 1 tivo and TV. It's kind of baffling why they wouldn't allow Tivo-to-Tivo (by they I mean the content providers, I know Tivo is just following the rules). But at the same time, it still would have been nice for them to work out some sort of a deal. Don't know how possible that would be, but it would have made it much nicer of a service.

HBO Go lets you watch everything on the go, why cant they allow it if it's locked into a Tivo-app that wouldn't allow sharing with others? Hell, I can give my username and password out for Comcast and let anyone I want watch HBO Go. I really wish these content providers would grow up a little bit. It's 2012. Everything is avoidable.

Again, this is just more of a rant against the FCC/Content providers, so please take it as such. And I know it's ultimately out of Tivo's hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Being able to watch recorded shows outdoors while your grilling or just sitting around would be a good use case. Temporary viewing of TV in the garage without having to haul out a TV, your TiVo and having to find electricity and coax hookups.
For some people, maybe. If I still had my iPad it would be useful. On a tiny iPhone screen, guess I'm just not that addicted to TV where I need to watch it while I'm flipping hamburgers for five minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
No email for me.

I'd have bought one too, at $129.

Are they sending out codes for people to redeem this? or is it keyed to email address? I wonder if people will start selling their codes on ebay, like they did with nest invites.
No codes, just a phone number. Probably tied to email address or name when you call.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #144
skywalkm
TiVoholic

Just ordered mine. Came to $147.01 with tax and shipping. $8 shipping; tried to get that knocked off to no avail. Had to be on hold for about 5 minutes…not sure he knew what to do with these. App will go live in the App Store on 9/5.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #145
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Return policy?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #146
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You guys will have to give us "loosers" a blow by blow on how well the system works.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #147
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkm View Post
Just ordered mine. Came to $147.01 with tax and shipping. $8 shipping; tried to get that knocked off to no avail. Had to be on hold for about 5 minutes…not sure he knew what to do with these. App will go live in the App Store on 9/5.
How did they confirm you were a "winner"?
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #148
HiKent

Is there any way to control a tuner? I thought I remembered it being described as a "mini" for the iPad. Much less useful as a recorded stream only device.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #149
skywalkm
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Return policy?
He said 30 days from shipping day, but later when going over terms, it sounded like 15 days. If I have any issues, I'll take care of it right away so I'm not too worried. I did catch that you'd have to cover the shipping yourself on the return. Usually with any calls to TiVo, they are extremely cordial and pleasant; this guy wasn't. Meh, I've got a survey from them, so that will be noted. Also, if that thing doesn't come right on 9/5, I'll fight the shipping.

Man, for winning this lotto, you'd think at least the shipping would be free!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #150
skywalkm
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
How did they confirm you were a "winner"?
Ha! They didn't! Other than confirming my account when placing the order. $20 says you call to order it and they won't even ask.