TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Jets

Exclude a tuner from to-do

Consider this a feature request if it cant currently be done. I would like to "reserve" a tuner to watch live tv so that the Tivo does not tie up all the tuners recording programs.
For example, suppose Sunday nights are loaded with programming and 5 shows are scheduled at 9pm. The tivo will manage those programs and use the existing tuners and my ranking order to record the shows as they become available. Meanwhile, I want to watch the Sunday night football game and would like to be able to channel surf while doing it. So what I want to do is force the tivo to NOT use one of my tuners, rather than having to reschedule programs that are "conflicting" with my Live TV surfing.

Hope I explained that well...
Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Get a TiVo Mini when they are releaed. Then it will dedicate a tuner to the Mini and you can use that for live TV. Of course you will also only have three tuners to use on the XL4.
But the TiVo is also mainly designed for time shifted Tv watching. You can watch content live(although technically it is never live. It is always written to the hard drive first and then read off the hard drive and that is what is being watched)if you want to but it's really designed with Time shifted Tv watching in mind.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Huh? I would implement it this way - add a splitter to the cable and switch inputs to the TV tuner.

I thought I would be doing that all the time when I first got a tivo. Never happened, not once.

Why channel surf while watching the game? I don't get it unless it's a social event. Watch something else and then scan through the game in 30 minutes (or less, the latest stat I heard was that a 60 minute NFL game has 6 minutes of actual activity).
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Consider this a feature request if it cant currently be done. I would like to "reserve" a tuner to watch live tv so that the Tivo does not tie up all the tuners recording programs.
For example, suppose Sunday nights are loaded with programming and 5 shows are scheduled at 9pm. The tivo will manage those programs and use the existing tuners and my ranking order to record the shows as they become available. Meanwhile, I want to watch the Sunday night football game and would like to be able to channel surf while doing it. So what I want to do is force the tivo to NOT use one of my tuners, rather than having to reschedule programs that are "conflicting" with my Live TV surfing.

Hope I explained that well...
You can do this, kind of, right now. If you're already watching Live TV it will prompt you as to whether or not it's OK to change the channel a few minutes before the program is scheduled to record. If you say no the program will be canceled and rescheduled if available. If you're not watching Live TV already you can switch to live TV and change the channel on any tuner you want and it will simply prompt you with an "Are you sure you want to cancel the current recording". If you say yes then the recording will be canceled and the tuner will be freed up for live TV.

Couple of tips...

1) You can cycle through the tuners using the live TV button to pick the one you want to use.

2) If you used any of the trickplay buttons in the last 15 minutes it will not bug you about changing the channel for suggestions. However it will still prompt you if it needs the tuner to record a scheduled recording.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
mattack

I know this irks some people (I do more 'guide surfing' than channel surfing(*), but still use live TV buffering almost solely for CNN, but I'd turn it off if it were possible, to save power).. but anyway..

1) record everything you want to watch, INCLUDING the football game. If you care about spoilers, then just watch it "almost live" and watch something else for a few minutes then go back to the football game.

(*) Paraphrased old Seinfeld joke -- Men care more about what ELSE is on than what they're watching. (end of joke) Even with a TiVo full of stuff, I still often want to check the To Do list to do 'cleaning' or make sure there's nothing else on during primetime that I wanted to record too!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
tomm1079

i actually like that idea of using a tivo mini for this.

now if it will only work with the 2 tuner models i might do that.....have the elite always recording in main room and use the mini to pull a tuner for the bedroom..hmmmmm
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote