TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #121
lpwcomp

Dunno how long this particular HD menu problem has been around.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #122
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Dunno how long this particular HD menu problem has been around.
Since it is just for one show, and works on SD (as they say), then it is probably an unusual error in TiVo's show/search info database. I would not consider that a bug (other than the whole design of being dependent on their servers instead of having that data local).
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #123
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Since it is just for one show, and works on SD (as they say), then it is probably an unusual error in TiVo's show/search info database. I would not consider that a bug (other than the whole design of being dependent on their servers instead of having that data local).
I agree. IMNSHO, it is a design flaw. Also possibly a problem with the servers themselves.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #124
lpwcomp

I do have an actual new bug to report. Or maybe a couple - Transfer Show "from beginning" not working. It transfers from the pause point, even if you select "Transfer from beginning".

Investigation of this has led to another problem. While the source of the transfer doesn't matter for the basic problem, if the source is another Premiere, the "Pause Point" can be the point at which you stopped streaming. I had a program I had been streaming and saw this behavior.

So I tried streaming from the beginning and that apparently didn't reset the pause point unless I got a little way into it. So I went about a minute, exited the stream, and tried the transfer again. The transfer appeared to start but nothing actually got transferred. Play simply had the "Waiting for ..." message. Transfer LED went off and there was no sign of the show in the local NPL nor the todo list. I do however have a "ghost" transfer. Any new transfer requests from any source get queued up waiting for the ghost transfer to complete.

I have pulled the plug on the Ethernet switch to which the TiVo is connected and am doing a soft boot, hoping that this will exorcise the ghost. If not, next step will be a hard boot.

Soft boot worked. Plugged the switch back in and a transfer (from computer via pyTivo) I had queued up started.

I looked in the "Recently Deleted" folder and the show that caused all of the problems was there. I recovered it and started to play. Got a brief flash on the screen then got this message:
Quote:
Error playing a recording

The Tivo Box was unable to record this program because
there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been
trying to record on a channel that you don't receive.
Any subsequent attempt to play it gets the same message immediately.

If TiVo inc. needs more data or for me to investigate further, let me know. In this thread, via PM, or you can get my contact information from my TiVo.com account. Same ID.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #125
morac
Cat God

There's been a problem for a few builds where if you try to transfer the same recording twice in a row, it won't transfer the second time. I'm not sure when that bug was introduced, but it's been there awhile. If you want to transfer the same recording multiple times, you need to transfer a different recording in between (you can cancel that transfer once it starts). Transfer recording A, then B, then A will work, but transfer recording A then show A will not. That explains why your second transfer didn't happen.

The Premiere always transferring from the pause point is a different bug, the above just makes testing it tricky.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #126
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
There's been a problem for a few builds where if you try to transfer the same recording twice in a row, it won't transfer the second time. I'm not sure when that bug was introduced, but it's been there awhile. If you want to transfer the same recording multiple times, you need to transfer a different recording in between (you can cancel that transfer once it starts). Transfer recording A, then B, then A will work, but transfer recording A then show A will not. That explains why your second transfer didn't happen.
No, it doesn't. The transfer actually started, it just failed and left a ghost transfer. I couldn't transfer anything until I got rid of the "ghost" transfer. And it is back. I cannot transfer anything. Trying a hard boot now. No time for much else until later tonight.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #127
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
No, it doesn't. The transfer actually started, it just failed and left a ghost transfer. I couldn't transfer anything until I got rid of the "ghost" transfer. And it is back. I cannot transfer anything. Trying a hard boot now. No time for much else until later tonight.
Normally when there is a transfer problem it requires a hard boot of both boxes at the same time.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #128
labryadae

Anyone have an update on this? Last night I saw a few shows first aired in early July STILL marked as "NEW" in the guide. Shows from 5 weeks ago, to me, are not NEW. Would it help to open a trouble ticket with TIVO? Do customer complaints have any impact? It shouldn't be that hard to write '...if first aired date > today() +7 OR Today() -7 then NOT "NEW" flag...'.
labryadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #129
jrtroo
User

Tivo is looking to have an update this fall, but when that is we do not know. I completely ignore that flag, it could mean almost anything and does not use the same logic as season passes. Is it the first run? Recently recorded? Both? Something I never recorded before? It even shows up for some items from pyTivo.

When would this even be useful?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #130
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Tivo is looking to have an update this fall, but when that is we do not know. I completely ignore that flag, it could mean almost anything and does not use the same logic as season passes. Is it the first run? Recently recorded? Both? Something I never recorded before? It even shows up for some items from pyTivo.

When would this even be useful?
The "NEW" flag in the guide seems to be set for episodes that will be picked up by an FRO SP unless previously recorded.

The one in the NPL - haven't a clue what criteria that uses.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #131
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivered View Post
I'm getting a popping sound from my speakers when I change channels...I'm using an optical cable...
i have a similar issue. when navigating hd menus, as the video window "flickers" during a transition, i hear a loud pop or crackle when the video window reappears, or during a gui to full video transition. that's the only time there's any sound issue. with the video menu disabled, there's no popping.

i can end the popping by disabeling, then enabeling, the video window, but the popping always returns.

my video is high speed hdmi, my audio is optical cable, sony home theater receiver, tivo premiere xl.

any suggestions? i think this may be hd gui related, or sony optical related (based on the other forum posts for S3).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 08-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #132
Stevesreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Tivo really needs to get rid of the redundant "HD Recordings" folder. It never served a purpose other than to single them out and show them off - but now that every channel in most packages is available in HD, it's completely unnecessary and annoying.
I would agree this folder should be optional.

We've come a long way since the first days of OTA HDTV, and every show I record is in HD now, so the folder is just unwanted, useless clutter.
Stevesreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #133
Bollo

Content Ratings do not seem to be available on the HD interface. This is the data where it says why a movie got it rating, V for Violence, N for nudity... This data is still there in the program description and Info page in the SD interface. Am I missing something?
Bollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #134
Bollo

Is there a short cut method to toggle between the HD and SD menus? I saw a post that indicated ThuDn - ThuUp - Pause - Pause would work, but it does not work for me.
Bollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #135
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
Is there a short cut method to toggle between the HD and SD menus? I saw a post that indicated ThuDn - ThuUp - Pause - Pause would work, but it does not work for me.
That's not a toggle. It simply disables the HD UI.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #136
knarf829

Found a couple bugs in the SD menus. Don't see that they've been mentioned before:

1. Transferred a couple of episodes of a show with "&" in the show title from a Series 3 to a Premiere XL4, and the folder name is blank for these shows. Don't know if this is or is not also the case for recorded shows with "&" in the title. The folder shows up fine in the HD menu.

2. After watching a recorded show, there is sometimes a brief flash of live TV before returning to the show list

I can also vouch for "Transfer From Beginning" not working under any circumstances. If a show on the Series3 is in "Resume Play" state, it will only transfer from the pause point.
knarf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #137
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf829 View Post
2. After watching a recorded show, there is sometimes a brief flash of live TV before returning to the show list.
What's weird is it just started doing this. I first noticed this within the last few days. And it is very noticeable.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #138
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
What's weird is it just started doing this. I first noticed this within the last few days. And it is very noticeable.
There was a thread started last month on this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=493474

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote