TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
bbozzy

Can you have 2 TV's from Tivo XL4 ?

Hi, I used to have Direct TV and have switched to cable. I got a Tivo XL4 and it is fine for the bedroom. With the Direct TV I ran a coaxial cable to the porch so I could use that TV as well with the same Tivo.

I cannot figure out how to do that with the new Tivo 4, there is no extra output. For the porch TV I just use a wireless bouncer thingy so the tivo remote works, and I just watch whatever is recorded in the bedroom.

Both TV's are old CRT, no HD yet. I have the composite going to the bedroom TV. Can I also run a component out to the porch ? Would that work ? Not even sure my porch TV would take that, but any regular coaxial seems to be out of the question.

I hate to the think I upgraded and actually downgraded. On another note, I got a XL4 for the living room in HD and it was worth it. Very cool aps and 4 tuners is nice.

Thanks,
Bill
bbozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbozzy View Post
Hi, I used to have Direct TV and have switched to cable. I got a Tivo XL4 and it is fine for the bedroom. With the Direct TV I ran a coaxial cable to the porch so I could use that TV as well with the same Tivo.

I cannot figure out how to do that with the new Tivo 4, there is no extra output. For the porch TV I just use a wireless bouncer thingy so the tivo remote works, and I just watch whatever is recorded in the bedroom.

Both TV's are old CRT, no HD yet. I have the composite going to the bedroom TV. Can I also run a component out to the porch ? Would that work ? Not even sure my porch TV would take that, but any regular coaxial seems to be out of the question.

I hate to the think I upgraded and actually downgraded. On another note, I got a XL4 for the living room in HD and it was worth it. Very cool aps and 4 tuners is nice.

Thanks,
Bill
You sprung for 2-XL4's and still have a CRT in the bedroom? Bedroom size HD flat screens are very inexpensive, treat yourself a new flat screen! That would free your composite for the porch. You could use the coax to the porch for the composite video by just adding the correct terminations to the cable (RCA) I believe. The audio though would require maybe something more creative.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
bbozzy

I liked the darn thing so much in the living room, I figured why not for the bedroom since I had to buy a new box anyway. Maybe you're right. So if I got an HD for the bedroom and used the HDMI, couldn't I just run the 3 composites to the porch ? That would include the audio. As long as you can do an HDMI and composite out at the same time.
I was trying to upgrade in steps, but it sounds like it may be all or nothing. An HD in the bedroom would be doable, but don't want to spring for one on the porch. Just had a tropical storm yesterdayand could care about my porch tv It just keeps on ticking.
bbozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo is going to release a new device called a TiVo Mini in the next few months that will allow you to stream programs from an XL4 to any room in your house with a network connection. Might want to hold out for it if you can

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbozzy View Post
I liked the darn thing so much in the living room, I figured why not for the bedroom since I had to buy a new box anyway. Maybe you're right. So if I got an HD for the bedroom and used the HDMI, couldn't I just run the 3 composites to the porch ? That would include the audio. As long as you can do an HDMI and composite out at the same time.
I was trying to upgrade in steps, but it sounds like it may be all or nothing. An HD in the bedroom would be doable, but don't want to spring for one on the porch. Just had a tropical storm yesterdayand could care about my porch tv It just keeps on ticking.
As far as I know, the new Tivos work like the old Tivos in that every output port is active at the same time.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a way for the cable operator to flag the recording so that the component outputs are disabled. Its rare but ive seen a few people complain about a message popping up saying the outputs are disabled and they must use HDMI if the way to watch the show.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote